Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 AM

48 posts, read 179,846 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if there are less cars on the road but I definitely notice that lots of cars and SUVs go around with their windows rolled down...on days it has to be pretty uncomfortable.Maybe it's about saving gas?
I drive a small car and have always planned my trips, my husband though, finally downsized his vehicle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
One thing I have been doing lately is not going out anywhere for lunch during the week at work. Not only am I saving gas, but I'm saving $ I normally would have spent at the deli. Eating at my desk does make for a l o o o o n g day at work though.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Haven't really cut down on road time or making road trips to the beach, but I do use less RPMs and speed less, both of which save on gas.

p.s. LKN commute traffic up and down 77 is definitely lighter. I'm not sure if it's because of gas or because it's summer.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:06 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Haven't really cut down on road time or making road trips to the beach, but I do use less RPMs and speed less, both of which save on gas.

p.s. LKN commute traffic up and down 77 is definitely lighter. I'm not sure if it's because of gas or because it's summer.
I do the same, and yes, the 77 South commute is lighter. School goes back soon so we'll see if it stays light or picks up again.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdesert View Post
I am not sure if there are less cars on the road but I definitely notice that lots of cars and SUVs go around with their windows rolled down...on days it has to be pretty uncomfortable.Maybe it's about saving gas?
I drive a small car and have always planned my trips, my husband though, finally downsized his vehicle!
Actually rolling your windows down creates drag on your car and you end up using more gas. AC is actually better. Sometimes I like to drive with the windows open and I don't care about the gas.

I have also noticed that traffic on the highways has been lighter, but I too have a feeling it will increase slightly when the summer is over.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 PM

630 posts, read 1,878,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Actually rolling your windows down creates drag on your car and you end up using more gas. AC is actually better. Sometimes I like to drive with the windows open and I don't care about the gas.
Studies have shown that it depends on the car and how fast you are going. For the most part, going under 45 its more efficient to have the windows down. Going above 45 is more efficient with the windows up because of drag.

On short drives, windows down is better because of how long the A/C would take to cool down the interior volume from its temp while parked (could be 115 degrees) to 78 or whatever you set the temp to. Whereas opening the window (especially the large 4 windows in SUV) will get the interior quickly to ambient air temp plus the wind chill benefit.

I've noticed many more people taking the bus and the park and ride lots are full. It'll be interesting once school starts up if things have changed.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
That's true...cars with windows rolled down really screws up the aerodynamics and will kill your gas mileage. Also, numerous studies have shown that the more comfortable the operator of a vehicle is, the more effieciently the will operate it. AC actually SAVES gas and a pretty good amount too.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Lightbulb C'mon.......

Don't you guys watch Mythbusters????

Quote:
AC vs. Windows Down

Adam and Jamie tackle not so much a myth as what they call an "urban puzzle". The debate arises because both methods of cooling influence a car's fuel efficiency—air conditioning requires a lot of power to run, but at the same time, open windows create drag.

* Revisited in MythBusters Revisited, Season 3, episode 38

Myth statement

Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down.

Status

Partly Busted

Notes

Tests were performed under varying conditions (55 mph versus 45 mph). Also, the 55 mph test was using a computer to estimate fuel efficiency based on air intake, not actual fuel consumption, and showed A/C was more efficient. The 45 mph test consisted of running the tank until it was empty, and showed open windows were more efficient. This experiment--or one like it--is sometimes cited by the Magliozzi Brothers on Car Talk when presented with this question.

MythBusters (season 2) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
AC vs. Windows Down

Myth statement

Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down. (From AC vs. Windows Down)

Status

Partly Re-Busted/Partly Confirmed

Notes

The fundamental flaw in the MythBusters' test was that the point where the drag becomes powerful enough to inhibit a car's performance with windows down was inside their 45–55mph margin at 50mph. Going less than 50mph it is more efficient to leave your windows down, but going greater than 50mph it is more efficient to use your A/C. Since then, this particular bit of knowledge has been used frequently on Car Talk.[citation needed]

MythBusters (season 3) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
good one Carolinaguy ,

I also think they busted the myth riding with the tail gate down does not save on gas and turning car off while waiting at drive thrus then restarting does not save on gas.

I enjoy feeling the warmth of the Carolina weather is why I ride with my windows down.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
The MythBusters experiment was flawed:

Mythbusters' mistakes in AC vs windows down episode - AutoblogGreen

The people arguing about this though probably don't check their tires for proper inflation, which is probably the best easy thing you can do to save gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte