Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times

Advertisements

I had supper last night at 131 Main in Blakeney. I had a plate of smoked salmon with herb aoli & toast points to start, ($13), Grilled swordfish w/lemon/crab sauce ($30) & strawberry shortcake ($8). What I was most surprised about was that the swordfish w/o the sauce was $27 for a 4oz portion. Now to be fair it was cooked to perfection. It was nice & moist & the pile of something next to it was delicious. But $27 for a 4oz piece of fish was insane. Actually come to think of it, the pricing for the appetizer, entree & dessert were all crazy. The swordfish was a special & it wasn't on the menu & I didn't think that I had to ask the price. Shame on me, next time I'll know better.

I guess I'm going to have to start eating at iHop.

Please share your tales of restaurant sticker shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,251 times
I understand where you're coming from, but if you take a look at my post under the Delancy Street Thread, it is important for the general public to understand that food prices and costs in general are rising. Which I'm sure you've seen in the grocery stores and in the news media.

Most of the food that we eat, the smoked salmon had to travel to a processing plant and then to a distribution point to get to the restaurant, and at $4.00/gallon gas and higher for diesel which is averaging $4.68/gallon is more expensive than it was last year. The strawberry shortcake has sugar in it and commercially sugar started to get tight when the Imperial Plant burned in Savannah GA a few months back, and sugar in general just jumped about 25% in the last few weeks. Not to mention the flour prices, in the shortcake have risen through the roof since January.

We'll just have to reside ourselves to the fact that costs are going to continue to shock us for the next few years.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but if you take a look at my post under the Delancy Street Thread, it is important for the general public to understand that food prices and costs in general are rising. Which I'm sure you've seen in the grocery stores and in the news media.
Actually your post in that thread was the inspiration for this one. I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Since I moved back here, I have thought the prices were overall too high. Now they are definitely too high. I understand why prices have gone up recently, but I travel and restaurants just charge too much here for the same types of food elsewhere. Just my opinion, but I did notice a few years back that Zagat made the same observation about Charlotte restaurant prices.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:45 PM

I think the rule of thumb these days is if the restaurant has new menus, then they have raised prices. But I think that even given the causes for the increases that Jake has mentioned, that the higher prices are driving away customers. My wife & I used to eat at Thai House in Pineville a couple times a week. We could get a great meal for $40. Now that same meal is closer to $70. Do we eat there as often? No. We may eat there once a month.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:03 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,103 times
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but get a chuckle at this thread...

Every time
we go out to eat, my husband is amazed at how CHEAP it is to eat out here. We lived in Northern Virginia for two years before coming back, and every time we went out to eat there, for two people, the price would have been at least 1/3 to 1/2 MORE than it is here. (Even at the chain restaurants, or the "cheap" places.) We see it as a bargain!

And to be fair, 131 Main is a classy restaurant, so of course prices will be higher than the IHOP.

I also suspect that as places get more popular, they raise their prices, figuring that people will pay to keep coming back. As the population increases, the number of people coming to a restaurant may increase, etc.

Barkingowl, my husband also says the same thing about the new menus.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM

63 posts, read 257,677 times
i wouldnt be jumping in the car to goto IHOP anytime soon as the last time i was there was 2 years ago on the free pancake day. i ended up paying 3.50 for a side of hash (about half a cans worth). i just stick to a few of my regular places and avoid the type of surprise you got.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,815 times
It's a CAtch 22: Grocery prices have skyrocketed but not as bad as restaurant prices so it has become "cheaper" to whip up a restaurant style meal at home! And the portions sizes have diminished considerably along with less bread in baskets, etc. Guess we won't be the Obese Americnas for long!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:06 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
I agree with all the above...however food shopping is definately more expensive here than NJ and restaurants honestly are equal to NJ I do find some that are cheaper here, we eat out alot but figure the way my kids eat, its the same thing to go out than too cook...LOL....all kidding aside, I agree ive noticed the prices went up in some of our favorite restaurants too...sad but I will also say that most of these restaurants have been really busy..dh and I joke how its dead in NJ when we went back as everyone is eating home and here everyone goes out...

Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
I went to taco bell and my bill was $18! then again, I did get 16 tacos and a small diet pepsi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte