Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 27,619 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone ..

My husband and I just got married a few months ago and are serioulsy thinking about moving to NC to start our new lives and our new family. We currently live on Long Island, NY and have done a lot of research on both the Raleigh and Charlotte areas and we think that either places could be wonderful places to raise a family. Although NC seems great we do have a few concerns and was hoping someone who has experienced moving from NY to NC or others who have moved from far to NC could help us with.

First, we're an interracial marriage, my husband is white and I am Asian. My culture is very important to us and was wondering if there is a lot of raciam in the Raleigh or Charlotte areas? Is one area over the other a better place for an interracial marriage?

Second, my husband is a graphic designer and would like to get some opinions on which area is better suited for his profession. We plan on living in the surrounding towns of either Raleigh or Charlotte so commuting into the cities would not be a problem. We were looking into Wake Forest and Matthews. We are going to visit both areas this April, but any comments on those areas?

I realize now that this has become a completely loaded question, but any suggestion/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 30,820 times
Default Moving to NC

My husband and I relocated a year ago to the concord area, We both work with the public, I more so then he. Alot of my customers are either mexican or african america. I don't see alot of racism at all. Actually moving from the detroit Michigan area, I have found that the people of any race are much nicer here.

We love it here the sun shines just about every day.
Schools are a bit different they we from the north are accustom to.
You will have to speak a bit slower and listen harder to hopefully understand the natives here. All in all every one is pretty friendly and helpful just move at a much slower pace they the northerns do LOL

hope this helps

Dani

Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Racism can happen anywhere, weather it's NY or NC. People of different races get along well here. I live in the Charlotte area. There are many mixed race couples/families at my church. You shouldn't have any problems here. We'd love to have you!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
As far as race-related hate crimes, New York ranks #39 and North Carolina ranks #42. New Jersey is #1.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_hat_cri_rac_rel_percap-crimes-race-related-per-capita

Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
Hi everyone ..

My husband and I just got married a few months ago and are serioulsy thinking about moving to NC to start our new lives and our new family. We currently live on Long Island, NY and have done a lot of research on both the Raleigh and Charlotte areas and we think that either places could be wonderful places to raise a family. Although NC seems great we do have a few concerns and was hoping someone who has experienced moving from NY to NC or others who have moved from far to NC could help us with.

First, we're an interracial marriage, my husband is white and I am Asian. My culture is very important to us and was wondering if there is a lot of raciam in the Raleigh or Charlotte areas? Is one area over the other a better place for an interracial marriage?

Second, my husband is a graphic designer and would like to get some opinions on which area is better suited for his profession. We plan on living in the surrounding towns of either Raleigh or Charlotte so commuting into the cities would not be a problem. We were looking into Wake Forest and Matthews. We are going to visit both areas this April, but any comments on those areas?

I realize now that this has become a completely loaded question, but any suggestion/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
We moved from Plainview LI to Charlotte in 1998, basically for lifestyle and cost of living reasons. Now we are in Union county. We love it here -- I think it is a great place to raise a family. Matthews is lovely, as are many areas south of uptown. Let me know if I can help you -- I'd be happy to take you around town and show you some homes Best of luck to you!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
I've seen and heard a little racism here, no more than other places. Don't hate me for saying this, but I think asians experience a lot less racism than other minorities. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:27 PM

11 posts, read 43,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
Hi everyone ..

Welcome to Charlotte! My wife and I are the same as you guys, and we've felt very welcome in the 9months we've lived here. The ONLY situation we've run into was actually last weekend, and it was actually more funny than offensive as one of our new neighbors thought my wife was his wife's hairdresser ... I had to correct him that "No, she's actually a Banker!"

Someone said it very well before, the only real color they see in Charlotte is "green", and I've found that to be true to some extent (there are people that make it more of an issue than necessary)

The hardest thing we've had to deal with in Charlotte was finding what we considered to be good ethnic restaurants. We realized how spoiled we were in Chicago, with a large Chinatown, Koreatown, and plenty of good places for Indian food. I'm very happy to say that after several months of searching, we've found both decent Thai and Indian food (Thai House & Bombay Grille in the same shopping center off Pineville-Matthews), and an excellent Korean restaurant (Pepero-on Monroe road N. of Pineville-Matthews). As of now, I'm only down to finding a decent Lebanese restaurant/Kebab house, and I'll be complete (I was spoiled with the easy access to great food in Dearborn, MI). Unfortunately, I've given up in my search for Siu Loong Bao ... gotta go back to Chicago/NY for that!

In my experience, you'll have to try a little bit harder to find the things to which you're used to having easy access in a big city, but in our experience, it's been worth it. We enjoy being here!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 AM

124 posts, read 521,902 times
My wife and I, much like yourselves, have been considering a move and researching charlotte for almost 2 years now. We are both graphic designers as well. I will say that there doesn't seem to be a ton of work out there in this field but more and more keeps popping up. I think if he does web design that might help as well. From what I have seen the pay is also not that great 30-35 range but I think that all depends on the size of company you work for. keep in touch if you guys end up moving I'll PM you my email address if your husband wants it, is always good to network in our industry. Good luck in your decision, Charlotte has a lot to offer and is definitely a growing city.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua835 View Post
Welcome to Charlotte! My wife and I are the same as you guys, and we've felt very welcome in the 9months we've lived here. The ONLY situation we've run into was actually last weekend, and it was actually more funny than offensive as one of our new neighbors thought my wife was his wife's hairdresser ... I had to correct him that "No, she's actually a Banker!"

Someone said it very well before, the only real color they see in Charlotte is "green", and I've found that to be true to some extent (there are people that make it more of an issue than necessary)

The hardest thing we've had to deal with in Charlotte was finding what we considered to be good ethnic restaurants. We realized how spoiled we were in Chicago, with a large Chinatown, Koreatown, and plenty of good places for Indian food. I'm very happy to say that after several months of searching, we've found both decent Thai and Indian food (Thai House & Bombay Grille in the same shopping center off Pineville-Matthews), and an excellent Korean restaurant (Pepero-on Monroe road N. of Pineville-Matthews). As of now, I'm only down to finding a decent Lebanese restaurant/Kebab house, and I'll be complete (I was spoiled with the easy access to great food in Dearborn, MI). Unfortunately, I've given up in my search for Siu Loong Bao ... gotta go back to Chicago/NY for that!

In my experience, you'll have to try a little bit harder to find the things to which you're used to having easy access in a big city, but in our experience, it's been worth it. We enjoy being here!

Hey, that was me that said the only color that matters in Charlotte is green

Just a quick tip - look for Pho 98 on South Blvd - awesome Vietnamese food!

Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 27,619 times
Wow! Thanks everyone for responding so quickly! It has really helped to ease my mind. My husband and I actually searched for authentic chinese supermarkets online the other night and actually found a few. We'll have to go visit them when we go down. We'll also have to try some of the restaurants you guys had suggested!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte