Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 19,908 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI for those of you looking to relocate to Union county, there is a rifle and pistol club near the NC/SC line on Kensington Road in the northwest part of the county. I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure how much I can post about it - but you can google it. We went to a nearby new development on a very rainy Saturday and put down a deposit on a beautiful lot. Of course, it was raining so we really didn't notice any noise outside. Our realtor went back on a gorgeous, sunny Saturday with other clients and heard constant gunfire (rifles) the entire two hours she was there. Turns out the club is only about 1/2 mile behind the development. When she asked the sales people about it they blew it off and said it wasn't a big deal and they didn't have to disclose it. They are open on weekends and a couple of times during the week - that's alot of shooting!!! Thankfully, we hadn't signed a contract and were able to get our deposit back. I think there is another new development going up near there as well. Buyer beware. . . do your homework.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,848 times
I'll second that opinion. I was in some of those neighborhoods this past Saturday and it was constant! I couldn't believe how loud and annoying it was. If it was like that on a crisp day in January ... what is the noise going to be like later in the spring & summer? The noise wasn't obnoxiously loud ... but much like Chinese Water Torture, it will get to you after a while. I was only there for a couple hours, but it was enough to drive me NUTS by the time I left. You probably wouldn't hear it from inside these homes, but sitting out in the backyard ... you surely would.

Sections of Quellin and all of Anklin Forrest are affected - there might be some residual noise for western sections of Cureton and maybe even Prescot.

Between that on the west side and the sewer plant on the south side - those communities might be between a rock & a hard place (or between a rifle and a stank place).

Old 02-01-2007, 02:02 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,848 times
I'm glad you brought this up - I took your suggestion and Googled it (Google maps, too) and now I know why it was so loud! Holy cow ... its practically attached to the western edge of Anklin Forrest! Those are awfully expensive homes to have to deal with this level of annoyance. I guess sprawl has its problems.

I wouldn't mind JOINING the club ... but living within rifle shot of it is another thing. (The safety of it doesn't bother me as much as the annoyance of the noise).

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/2

Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
Ok so does anyone know which NEW communities as well as not NEW are affected by this? I had heard of it and I was told by a poster that it was Stone Something and now I cant remember, no one said anything about Quellin...we were looking there..interesting but I would like to find out which builder/New Community is affected..

Staci

Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 88,358 times
Default Rifle range noise and sewage

We are getting ready to look in the Charlotte area (Union, Lancaster, and York) for a home. Could someone tell me the developments around the Charlotte Rifle Range to avoid (is Stone Crest in that range?), and which areas are in the range of the sewage plant issue?
I am researching realtors as we speak. I would love to get a Realtor that knows which areas to avoid.................(pm me if you can!)

Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 PM

197 posts, read 735,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
Sections of Quellin and all of Anklin Forrest are affected - there might be some residual noise for western sections of Cureton and maybe even Prescot.

Between that on the west side and the sewer plant on the south side - those communities might be between a rock & a hard place (or between a rifle and a stank place).
I would say these areas and Millbridge for the shooting range

And I drove by the sewer plant 2 days ago and it was horrid - the smell gaged me inside my car with the windows closed so I will never understand people who say it does not smell over there

Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,655 times
Red face Rifle range...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
I would say these areas and Millbridge for the shooting range

And I drove by the sewer plant 2 days ago and it was horrid - the smell gaged me inside my car with the windows closed so I will never understand people who say it does not smell over there
Now I know where I can do target practice! LOL!!! The range probably has all kinds of burms around it so a stray bullet probably wouldn't be an issue. I imagine you would learn to tune out the noise, if you chose to live there. The more expensive homes probably are much more soundproof than the cheaper homes, that would be my guess.

You know, I honestly think that people that live in the area get used to the smell. Farmers get used to the cow crap, many people manage to live in GA, although it smells like rotten eggs to me. There are also employees that work at that sewage treatment plant that are used to it. So I imagine locals are just used to the smell of the plant.

I'm kind of glad that we are landlocked here with homes around us and we are zoned residential. I know it's not for everyone but we shouldn't have any surprises with things like that just popping up out of no where. That is one thing that I would be concerned about living out in an area that isn't highly developed. When you have vacant land next to you, it's hard to tell what will go in there, i.e. junkyard, landfill, etc. It could be a cause for concern in the future for your investment. I know I personally wouldn't buy there...

We have friends that moved next to the race track and live in Harrisburg. They think it's great but I would not want to try to sell that house. The husband is also in the same line of work as mine and we move frequently, every 2-3 years. I think their house is a resale nightmare but that's just my personal opinion. To each their own...

Old 06-12-2007, 06:07 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,544 times
The Millbridge development stradles the state line and sits on the south side of Kensington Road.. Also Anklin is east of the shooting range as is Quellin. Anklin and Quellin are across the street from one another on Waxhaw-Marvin Road. Anklin is small, Quellin is big and is also adjacent to the sewer plant.

As far as sewage smell, inquire about Cureton, Quelling, Lawson, Anklin and Millbridge. Cureton has the new shopping center and sits across the street from the sewage plant. Keep in mind there two huge berms on each side of the street.

The sewage plant is being expanded. Even when it's done, it will be at or near capacity. It has overflowed it's stated limits several times in the past year or so. It's so over capacity right now that the state offices required sewer permits stop being approved.

Kensington Elementary is right next to Millbridge. In fact, Millbridge probably advertises Kensington as a neighborhood school. By the time Millbridge is built out, Kensington will likely be overcrowded.

Last edited by muffinman; 06-12-2007 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 53,227 times
Does anyone know how far out the sewer smell drifts out. I will live about 4 miles away and was just wondering. I will be living off shelly mullis road, south carolina. Thanks

Old 06-12-2007, 08:47 PM

70 posts, read 212,879 times
I don't know the exact areas to specify...but if you get into the country areas of the county, firearms are going off constantly. So stay close to the cities of Indian Trail, Matthews, Monroe...etc....if you start seeing cornfield or soybean fields, guns are near...

My first fall here I was doing yardwork and heard shotguns just start going OFF one day...I couldn't figure it out....then my DH let me know it was the first day of dove season....

On the good side...it's hunters and farmers shooting the guns out in the outskirts of the Charlotte cities....and I really never have heard of one punk trying to pull anything sneaky out here... Well, one house had a guy break in...he never had a chance to steal a thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte