Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

Oh, no peanut butter! Haven't you been keeping up with the news?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochiepoo View Post
Uhh! Are we all missing the point here??? I thought we were talking about people who apply for FREE/REDUCED lunches and have the $$$ to pay for lunch? I say the school district should ask for more proof of income when applying.
Whats wrong with a PJ sandwich and an apple?
All I am saying is that dont let this be a run away thing... Go to school board meetings when you can!

OK thats it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impressionist View Post
Several years ago, we applied and received reduced rates. I applied the next year and was accepted... The next year, making just over the minimum, was denied.
I don't know how all these people are able to get it when they don't "deserve" it. - It worked the same way for my children's insurance... when i made just a couple dollars more than allowed they cut me off and told me to fend for myself... I asked them where I could go for low cost care, they suggested a clinic which costs more than a "normal" doctor. I do not know how all of these people are getting away with it and people who really need the help are left to *really* struggle.

Actually, what is the problem with this system, where you get everything for free if you make no money, but if you try to make money, but just don't make enough there are no options? I hate the way our government works.
Seriously, God forbid someone try to fend for themselves, but need some help! Guess it pays to quit working, have a slew of kids, and live off the government teet. At least you're trying, and I for one commend you for that!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:50 PM

70 posts, read 160,139 times
Yep, I could have one more kid, then I would be fine for free lunches and insurance. What does that say?

Where do I sign up to start a revolution?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:31 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Quote:
Several years ago, we applied and received reduced rates. I applied the next year and was accepted... The next year, making just over the minimum, was denied.
I don't know how all these people are able to get it when they don't "deserve" it. - It worked the same way for my children's insurance... when i made just a couple dollars more than allowed they cut me off and told me to fend for myself... I asked them where I could go for low cost care, they suggested a clinic which costs more than a "normal" doctor. I do not know how all of these people are getting away with it and people who really need the help are left to *really* struggle.

Actually, what is the problem with this system, where you get everything for free if you make no money, but if you try to make money, but just don't make enough there are no options? I hate the way our government works.

I ask myself this everyday. I worked at a peds office in Indian Trail and could not tell you how many people had medical assistance for the kids and themselves and drove Navigators, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus and they were not used cars at all. Here I am trying to make ends meet after a rocking 6 months and free/reduced lunch was ALL I qualified for. I still had to pay $350/month for health insurance for the family which also has a $3K deductible. How do they work the system or does the system not check??????

Old 08-30-2008, 04:32 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Quote:
Yep, I could have one more kid, then I would be fine for free lunches and insurance. What does that say?

Where do I sign up to start a revolution?

Let me know, I will join you.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I ask myself this everyday. I worked at a peds office in Indian Trail and could not tell you how many people had medical assistance for the kids and themselves and drove Navigators, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus and they were not used cars at all. Here I am trying to make ends meet after a rocking 6 months and free/reduced lunch was ALL I qualified for. I still had to pay $350/month for health insurance for the family which also has a $3K deductible. How do they work the system or does the system not check??????
They are supposed to check - diligently. This is fraud!!!!! This state pays out for 20 % of its residents - for Medicaid - and that does not include the Choice Health Program for children who do not qualify for Medicaid - nor does it include seniors on Medicare.

So it is FRAUD if someone is participating in the program who does not qualify, plain and simple, and YOUR TAX DOLLARS are underwriting the fraudulent behavior, may I add.

People get around the restrictions by doing such things as having a relative lease their car in their name, so it won't show up on the person's record who is getting free assistance. Same for housing, food stamps, etc. It is sickening and should be reported. However, report it where? And who is gonna actually research the situation?

The whole thing makes me sick. It is OUR TAX MONEY paying for these jerks to manipulate the system. And yes, it is FRAUD and it is punishable by law to engage in Medicaid/Medicare fraud.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:06 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
We can eliminate fraud by eliminating these programs. Then everyone can be responsible for themselves. Or, those that can't can be helped by private charities which can be held accountable. Unlike the government who can just take more money at will.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
They are supposed to check - diligently. This is fraud!!!!! This state pays out for 20 % of its residents - for Medicaid - and that does not include the Choice Health Program for children who do not qualify for Medicaid - nor does it include seniors on Medicare.

So it is FRAUD if someone is participating in the program who does not qualify, plain and simple, and YOUR TAX DOLLARS are underwriting the fraudulent behavior, may I add.

People get around the restrictions by doing such things as having a relative lease their car in their name, so it won't show up on the person's record who is getting free assistance. Same for housing, food stamps, etc. It is sickening and should be reported. However, report it where? And who is gonna actually research the situation?

The whole thing makes me sick. It is OUR TAX MONEY paying for these jerks to manipulate the system. And yes, it is FRAUD and it is punishable by law to engage in Medicaid/Medicare fraud.

That's exactly the thing!! All this waste and abuse going on and no one making an effort to stop it!!! I'll give a prime example- I know a woman, mother of a special needs child. She is trained, and perfectly able to care for him. Instead, she is given 16, and up to 24 hours of SKILLED nursing care a day. This woman has ZERO meaningful employment- literally sleeps all day. Yet her son is cared for on the taxpayers tab. Apparently she's been told she doesn't qualify for welfare (God knows how that happened??), so the survive on the few hundred dollars a month HE gets from Social Security.

The picture I'm trying to paint is (1) She is perfectly physically capable of working. (2) Her handicapped child is (well) taken care of. (3) She elects not to hold a job, yet demands between 16 and 24 hours of nursing care a day (billed at probably $40-50/hr). (4) The "system" allows this to happen. (5) There is a large, and growing sense of entitlement in this country. It's easier to latch on to the government teet than it is to provide for one's self!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
We can eliminate fraud by eliminating these programs. Then everyone can be responsible for themselves. Or, those that can't can be helped by private charities which can be held accountable. Unlike the government who can just take more money at will.
Well, Weedy, that is not gonna happen. This election seems to be about people wanting MORE entitlements, but that is for the political board so I won't continue w/ that discussion. There are many of us who are discouraged by so many handouts and how this has shifted to a mentality of "gimme" but it appears about 1/2 of the country disagrees . . . I feel that the disenfranchised amongst us - children in poverty and the elderly and disabled - do need to be protected. But sadly, there are millions "sucking off the system" who are caught in a generational mentality of "I am owed it" - so that mentality is what the rest of us are dealing with.

Our state's medical assistance program is the second largest portion of the budget. You got it. Second. Reimbursements are a huge business here . . . and as I stated earlier - 20 % of our population in NC are part of this system. I think that is shocking. I find it hard to believe that 1 person out of 5 is actually qualified for these programs.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
it appears about 1/2 of the country disagrees . .

20 % of our population in NC are part of this system
So almost half of those who support it are sucking off the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: