Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 AM

79 posts, read 313,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW99 View Post
So your saying rather than fight it just mix rye in with it to keep it green in the winter and keep the Bermuda for the summer? Any other thoughts. Thanks
Yes - that's what most people do with bermuda if they still want a green lawn in the winter. Personally, I don't like to mow grass enough to want green grass all year around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
I have zoysia - dormant in winter too - and one year I overseeded with rye and yes it looked great but boy oh boy did I have to mow that stuff. I like to have a break from mowing in the winter. In the hotter months from april right though to November I have lush green grass which needs little water and gets greener as the sun gets hotter.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
When I first moved to NC (Fayetteville) I lived in a neighborhood where all the lawns were either centipede or bermuda. Two neighbors put rye in for the winter, yes, if you were just looking at their house looked nice, but they were also mowing a lot over the winter.....and while driving through the neighborhood, looking at the homes from farther away, the ones with the green lawns amid all the brown looked kind of silly.....maybe it's just me though
I had just dirt (mixed with a few clumps of fescue) in my back yard, sodded most of it with bermuda (adding planting beds in other areas so didn't do the whole thing) and it looks GREAT! May get ambitious and re-sod the front with bermuda too in time.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW99 View Post
How do you get rid of this stuff and get decent grass without spending a fortune? Any one have any good ideas other than cement? Thanks
Oh WOW. I love our Bermuda. I had no idea people hated it.

When the drought was at its worst, we had beautiful lucious green grass. We would drive through other neighborhoods feeling bad for the owners stuck with what looked like hay for a lawn! In two years we have never watered it and it remains beautiful.

I have a lot to learn.

Sara

Old 04-13-2010, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,437 times
we just bought a house in a new subdivision...the builder layed Bermuda sod for all of the houses in the neighborhood(so we all are identical) but it seems that the lawn crews did a better job laying the sod in the yards of the more expensive houses! we moved in, in november of last year, so everybody's yard looked like crap. But now that spring is here, our neighbor(Bigger house, better sod job) has a yard that is evenly greening with no splotchiness. ou r yard is is patchy, one row of sod is green and the row beside it is brown! We don't know what to do. we put down pre-emergent/fertilizer but it doesn't seem to b helping! what should we do? our HOA would have a fit if we killed it and reseeded it but we want a beautiful lawn...like all the REAL expensive houses in the neighborhood! Our house is brand new and very nice but we aren't the high end either....but i would like a high end lawn....what to do? ....Charlotte, NC

Old 04-13-2010, 02:41 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly8669 View Post
we just bought a house in a new subdivision...the builder layed Bermuda sod for all of the houses in the neighborhood(so we all are identical) but it seems that the lawn crews did a better job laying the sod in the yards of the more expensive houses! we moved in, in november of last year, so everybody's yard looked like crap. But now that spring is here, our neighbor(Bigger house, better sod job) has a yard that is evenly greening with no splotchiness. ou r yard is is patchy, one row of sod is green and the row beside it is brown! We don't know what to do. we put down pre-emergent/fertilizer but it doesn't seem to b helping! what should we do? our HOA would have a fit if we killed it and reseeded it but we want a beautiful lawn...like all the REAL expensive houses in the neighborhood! Our house is brand new and very nice but we aren't the high end either....but i would like a high end lawn....what to do? ....Charlotte, NC

Sounds more like a watering problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte