Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:06 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I've seen many posts about this AWESOME place here in Charlotte.

My company had a teambuilding meeting and conference for the Management Staff a few weeks ago. The conference center was extremely nice and the facilities were top notch in that aspect.

We went and had lunch at the very nice restaurant which had much more than I was expecting. The food was great and not your typical concession fare. I think it was even reviewed in the Charlotte Observer a while back.

We then went Whitewater rafting. For someone who has never rafted before I had a BLAST!!!! The guides were extremely friendly and helpful and provided great information about the place itself and what else there is to do there.

They have live music some weeknights, a climbing wall, flatwater kayaking on the Catawba, hiking trails, mountain biking and more!!!

We even took my 3 month old daughter out there last weekend. For $5.00 to park you can just walk around and watch people on the rapids and people watch. What a great way to spend a day!!!

This place is truly a hidden gem of this area and I'd like to make sure more people know about it. Has anyone else here been?

US National Whitewater Center //// TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!! \\ - Home Check out there website!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 04:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
How are they doing financially with the current credit crunch?

Old 09-27-2008, 04:22 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times
I guess it's like everything else....they seemed to have plenty of people on the weekends and are a little slow during the week.

I think that for as little as you pay to go in and people watch which is only $5.00 per carload it is an awesome deal!!!! My family had a great time just walking around and watching people fall out of the rafts on the competition rapid!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,698 times
We go regularly and love it.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:24 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
They do a lack-luster job at advertising. That's why they have so much trouble with money. It used to be free to park and use the trails and/or sit around and watch rafters. They just recently instituted the $5 charge. If they'd just get some more TV, radio, and web advertising in to let people know just what they are, they'd be far better off. Especially with the influx of new folks this place gets on a constant basis.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:50 PM

25 posts, read 65,175 times
We like the whitewater center also because we can take our dog there and walk the trail.....

Old 09-28-2008, 05:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
They do a lack-luster job at advertising. That's why they have so much trouble with money. It used to be free to park and use the trails and/or sit around and watch rafters. They just recently instituted the $5 charge. If they'd just get some more TV, radio, and web advertising in to let people know just what they are, they'd be far better off. Especially with the influx of new folks this place gets on a constant basis.

I concur you go to a visitor center or hotel lobby do you see UNWC brochures............nope

Old 09-28-2008, 06:24 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,609 times
Well this sounds like a nice way to spend the day. They even have walking trails?? I thought it was an olympic training facility. Sounds like something we need to check out. I assume they are open through the fall?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Well this sounds like a nice way to spend the day. They even have walking trails?? I thought it was an olympic training facility. Sounds like something we need to check out. I assume they are open through the fall?
See what I mean?!?!? (not ragging on you Doorway, just using you as an example!)

They're open year-round, weather permitting. They do close trails due to rain and ice. They keep the status updated on their website though...relatively accurate and up to date.

Seriously, a little effort in letting the region (not just Charlotte) know what this place is all about, and they'd be riding high in terms of revenue. they wouldn't have had to charge the $5 parking fee and up the prices on the raft trips (used to be $39 across the board any day of the week).

Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM

513 posts, read 2,112,217 times
Can anyone go and rent a kayak to go flat water kayaking? Do they let you go on your own or do you have to do a tour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte