Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times

Advertisements

I think people are refering to the fact that the CITI deal left us ( taxpayers) covering much of the loss. Wells had no such loop or out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM

140 posts, read 323,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
Why are people so willing to show in public how misinformed they are? Wells in order to make this deal had to raise $20 billion of their own vs Citi's $15 billion. Wells expense savings plan for this deal is planned to be $5 billion vs. Citi's $3 billion (meaning more job cuts!) and this was before Citi's rightful legal challange (whether we like or not), which at best -if all of you end up getting what you want (a Wells win, talk about you get what you wished for case) will certainly mean a huge compensation to Citi's due to WB's incredibly IRRESPONSIBLE manner in dealing this since there was no apparent cause for them to wait until TODAY (!!!!) to avert the legal implications of the exclusivity breach (or at least no causes they are telling us b/c the whole way they've handled this is very, very fishy).

Wells did not have "money of their own" (all these banks are overleveraged). In fact it was reported last quarter they were cooking the books after all banks had shown writedowns -making use of questionable accounting tactics. I mean think about where is the foreclosure epicenter of the world located? California!! Don't you think Wells has more exposure to all this mess than they have declared so far??

I understand we as Charlotteans are letting our hearts speak for us b/c the huge implications of this matter since so many employees of WB live here and b/c of the snowball effect this will have to our businesses, etc. But let's put all facts together before we rush into conclusions. I think any deal would have sounded better than the one Citi proposed. But Citi itself had thought last Wednesday to increase their offer to $5 /share. But GREEDY Wachovia's management and especially its BOARD (see the 3 "invited" members to join Wells board) preferred to go behind everyone's back and took the $7/share deal fully knowing this would implicate very serious consecuences for everyone ranging from the shareholders to the employees and Charlotte.

Please do not celebrate WB's board and its management, look at their RECORD!!!! They only care about themselves. I'm not going to defend Citi here either but they did what they had to do and took the best deal for their shareholders. It wasn't their fault Wachovia was about to FAIL twice a week an half ago as Robert Steel had stated on a sworn affidaivit. They stepped in after Wells pulled out and if they "lowballed" is b/c there was no one else willing to take on SAVING Wachovia. Had they not stepped in WB would have FAILED and the shareholders would have lost everything.

As chicagocubs have stated -although no one knows for sure which deal was best for Charlotte- there was the potential for Citi to keep a large portion of significant decision making positions here in Charlotte b/c Citi's has never specialized in retail banking. Our proximity to NYC was a serious plus for them. Think about it, a 1.5 hr flight there, cheaper cost of leasing, lower salaries, and wages to pay, etc, etc. The possibilites if anything were exciting since Citi is a worldwide brand and international business at some point could have been brought here.

The new proposed deal to split WB will be disastrous b/c it will make Charlotte unusable for any big purpose for both Wells and Citi. Way to go WB!
As always I hope whichever outcome of this turns out to be the best for the hard working people I personally know at Wachovia. They are the heroes of this story we all need to root for.
Sorry Berryjuice4life, I wasn't trying to offend you. I'm just trying to show what the facts are.
I think we are being misled by both WB and WF management, esp the former. B/c of them this whole thing may end up in carving WB in 2 and that is def not good for anyone.

As for the other post about not usage of taxpayer money, Wells was not all in at first b/c they weren't assured about a taxbreak they would use if the transaction was to happen. They were informed of it later -after Citi had already bailed out Wachovia (literally, but yes with taxpayer money). So in a way Wells will be using ways to circunvent Uncle Sam, and well all taxpayers for that matter. I don't think they are doing this WB bailout deal out of the bottom of their hearts.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Chef, you are absolutely right. And, Wells is a very underhanded company...many people here in Charlotte should already know this because they bought into their hype and were laid off within 5 years after enduring some horrible working conditions. (right here in Ft. Mill, SC) The employees of WB are so stressed out, if you know one, you should give them a big hug. It is easy to say, "relax" when it is not your job; especially if that individual is the only wage earner of the family or is close to retirement age. Yesterday, it appeared that Wachovia was about to be seized by the FDIC; scary stuff...the employees get nothing in that case. I guess that they were able to weather that latest storm, but, still, this is a horrible situation for all of us in Charlotte and most definately the WB employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte