Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times

Advertisements

AWESOME!!!! Don't know where OP is coming from when all he can say is AMAZING crime.Just goes to show you he don't know didly squat about crime in CLT.Shame on you! We have AWESOME CRIME. Top shelf!. First class ride.Limo class. Classy. Slick. Sauve. Smooth.

My man, let's get with the program. Don't use terms like" infrastucture" before you learn to pronounce it at a white glove party this Christmas at the Capitol.You're going to embarrass your self.

Is it still a full moon??

Hey, OP, good post. What I liked best was the facts and substantiation part of your content.You might want to apply for a writer's position for one of the candidates. You know the one? THAT ONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
"Amazing Crime," by Anifani

Jolene knew Charlotte was not a safe place and so was not surprised when she heard the faint, measured footsteps approaching her in the dark.

Because of the lousy infrastructure in Charlotte, the closest streetlight only flickered occasionally, leaving Jolene to strain her eyes helplessly as she struggled with her grocery bag.

If only she had somewhere fun to go on a Sunday nite! But without any lakes, mountains or a nearby beach, she was left to fill the last few hours of her coveted weekend with something as mundane as grocery shopping.

Of course, she was a property owner now. And with home ownership came less discretionary income, so she was having to cook at home these days (which really didn't bother her that much since there were so few restaurants in Charlotte). Her house, quickly built by a contractor now out of business, and surrounded by foreclosures, was still a bargain, even if she were upside down now on her mortgage due to tanking property values.

All these things rushed through her mind as she tried to remember whether she had left her car keys in her pocket or dropped them back down into her purse. Oh dear, she thought, some thug is approaching and I don't know what to do!

But before she could locate her keys, he was there! Short and muscular, the miscreant shoved her against her car, bursting her ecologically correct (but less reliable) paper bag . . . cans rolled across the parking lot . . . followed by a splat from the carton of milk that spewed down the side of her car.

"Stop, Stop," Jolene yelled at the top of her lungs, but it was too late. The thug grabbed her purse and had already turned to run, when out of the darkness appeared Amazing Crime Guy!!!!!

With one swift movement, Amazing Crime Guy waves his rope into the air and snares the thug, who comes crashing down, hog-tied at the ankles and barely visible under the flickering streetlamp. In the background, sirens scream. It's CMPD, to take the thug away!

"Oh, thank you, thank you, Amazing Crime Guy!" Jolene effuses. But it was too late. Like a flash, Amazing Crime Guy was gone . . . on his tireless mission to help bring justice to the treacherous parking lots of the Queen City.

Last edited by brokensky; 10-19-2008 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM

201 posts, read 968,282 times
I guess you've never lived in Queens, NY? One of the most populated areas in the country....yeah, people love it for its "charm" Charlotte really sucks in comparison..

Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,659 times
Guys you all need to relax a little. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. The OP gave theirs that's all. Everything is relative so perhaps Charlotte is like that to that person. I tend to agree about the water though, I would like to live somewhere with a big river running through the city, it draws people to it. And please don't tell me to move somewhere where there is one!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,063 times
Well we do have Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, Mountain Island. They are building the greenway along the creek, it takes time to build a new city.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:20 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,377 times
Wait. Where is your house and how much? Remember, you said CHEAP!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 PM

311 posts, read 915,685 times
Taracat.. I'm sorry you're getting ripped apart for your post. I do agree with you.. and I do bet you came from the north. The schools may be okay here, but they're not great and they are not as good as up in the north you are correct! and yeah yeah we know that the schools up north are better b/c of higher taxes and who wants to pay those taxes yeah yeah, but just saying, they don't compare to up there. you are also right about the crime, regardless of what anyone wants to say "they just don't report all crime up north" ETC ETC, crime is BAD here and it's just time to accept it people.. you can't sugarcoat it and I think for people moving here that post on these boards, that should be mentioned just so people know the truth. Anyway, I must say that i didn't like it here at first (yes yes don't let the door hit me on the way out right?????? yes i've heard all your lines before. rude.) But it has grown on me. Only certain parts and those are the only parts I would live in. But honestly I have started this "look over my shoulder" mentality since 've been here.. and it's annoying because who wants to live their life in fear of crime? But I can tell you i've never felt like this before, it's not just in my head, and I am not alone.. so save your breath. I think Charlotte could do ok in the future if they perhaps bring a zoo and an aquarium to the area, without having to drive an hour or so.. that's a downer.. but I think they could easily pull it off they have plenty of space here. Plenty of trees to knock down =]

Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 PM

311 posts, read 915,685 times
I just though someone's gotta stand up for the rudeness that ensues after posting about not being thrilled with Charlotte. But HEY if you want to move here and are all excited.. people will welcome you with open arms! Until you say it's not for you, then look out.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-19-2008 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 10-19-2008, 07:50 PM

124 posts, read 461,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC2CLT View Post
im still trying to figure out the no natural scenery or water to attract people! wtf is this person smoking?
This is me too. I actually thought maybe he was being sarcastic. Compared to where we just moved from (Dallas area), this city is a mecca for that! Mountains an hour away, ocean 3 hours away; you can't ask for much better than that!

And I know I'm new to Charlotte, but down where we are in South Charlotte, it seems hard to find a bad school! They all have amazing rankings on greatschools.net and I've heard nothing but good.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
HomeSweetHomeNY - what you don't seem to get is we do not want an aquarium . . . we are not a coastal city. Atlanta has an aquarium, wh/ never made any sense to me . . . but OH WELL. If you want Disney, go to Florida.

As far as your opinion about Charlotte "doing okay" - what does that even mean? Charlotte was not created as a mecca for New Yorkers to move to. This is a pre-Revolutionary War town . . . we were around a long time b/f people decided to invade the region looking for cheaper housing and lower taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte