Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 AM

225 posts, read 835,639 times

Advertisements

FYI

Took a posters advice and went directly to the horses mouth so to speak about the school tour issue. I first e-mailed the Chairperson of the School Board, Mr. Arp (awaiting response). Secondly, I pulled up the school board policy on school visits. Imagine my surprise when I saw their position. Interesting. Please open the attachment and see for yourself.

You make your own judgment by what the intent of the school board is regarding this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1-25%20VISITORS%20TO%20SCHO309EC.pdf (9.5 KB, 542 views)

Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 PM

146 posts, read 506,928 times
Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 PM

31 posts, read 108,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampy123 View Post
Seems pretty straight forward to me.
I'm sure you'll find at least two people here that will disagree on what that says vs. the stance Weddington school has - and then "argue" about it for 50+ posts...

Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Don't I know it!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
Let me know what response you get. That memo looks to be quite vague.....it does not specify that anyone would have to give a tour or take any time out of his/her day. I am not agreeing with what I just wrote, just saying that they left it very open to discression by individual school sites.

Dawn

Old 02-21-2007, 03:16 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,327 times
Thanks for putting in a couple of extra steps of legwork warden. It does seem straight forward. Maybe school committee would be interested to see the entire post regarding the Weddington school refusal just to see what folks are dealing with and feeling.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:39 PM

531 posts, read 2,012,174 times
Warden...great job taking the initiative to look into the matter. Most people just sit and complain.

When I was talking to the school for the tour...I had to tread very carefully. I really tried to be accomodating to the schools issues and made headway that way. If I were in your shoes...I would bring a copy of the regs and go to the office to request an appropriate time for your tour. Best of luck to you. And thanks again for taking the time to look into it further.

P.S. Here are a few more people to send e-mails to about the question at hand.

Superintendent UCPS ed.davis@ucps.k12.nc.us <ed.davis@ucps.k12.nc.us>
Deputy Superintendent UCPS bill.stegall@ucps.k12.nc.us <bill.stegall@ucps.k12.nc.us>

Last edited by dandevder; 02-21-2007 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: adding to original comment with links

Old 02-21-2007, 04:52 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,088,814 times
Dan:

Warden never doubted her ability to obtain a tour (honestly, neither did I). This post was initiated by someone else having trouble getting a tour.

SL

Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Just wish it was done sooner to help citinewcomer. We may have lost a good family to another school. Their gain, our loss. My husband describes me as a pitbull chewing on someone's leg. I just don't let go

I'm OK with that! Like I said before, it's only after the 7th no that I truly believe you are serious lol

Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 PM

58 posts, read 77,728 times
I don't know the school in question or what happened, and therefore can't defend or criticize them...but I'd like to offer my two cents on the issue. I think Union County's policy is very appropriate and clearly designed to preserve the safety of students, which should be every Principal's top priority, especially in light of all the horror stories we hear about violence in public schools, sex offenders roaming the streets, etc. As a father-to-be, I know that I would not feel safe if my daughter was in a classroom of a school where someone was allowed to show up unannounced, roaming the halls and observing classes without getting permission from the Principal in advance.

Even though Union County and Weddington I'm sure have schools that are far safer than schools where I currently live, I think each Principal should have the right to grant or deny visitors to schools based on his / her subjective judgement of that prospective visitor's intentions. I would imagine that someone wouldn't be denied a tour if he / she calls the principal and requests one in advance, and has a good reason for doing so (i.e. just moved to the area and has school-age children). My father used to be a principal of a Middle School in VA and got calls like that all the time, and most times he had no problem with giving tours - but keep in mind that Principals are EXTREMELY busy, so you may need to call a few times. I know my father used to work 12-hour days most weeks - that's how he got all his grey hairs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte