Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 AM

755 posts, read 2,494,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

And send them a trial subscription to Southern Living . . . maybe they will get the message.
Southern Living ain't what it used to be. After about 12 years, I think I'm going to let my subscription expire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 AM

755 posts, read 2,494,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I love them all, even the gaudy, lighted circuses. It's lots of fun at Christmas time to drive around with your friends &/or family to look at the lights.
EXACTLY! The more the merrier!!
http://bestsmileys.com/christmas5/22.gif (broken link)

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
To each thier own, since no one would see it, I don't decorate.
We only have 3 neighbors who drive all the way to the end of our street and see the decorations, but I still like doing it. Granted, if the kids weren't here it would be less, but still something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im assuming you use a digital camera does it allow you to change the settings and if so what did you use if you dont me asking?
My camera has an ISO setting for low light conditions but it blurs the lights

Great photo and um so I am on topic lol
It an example of traditional displays which seem to be in the in thing
I don't know what settings are on my camera but I found the time of day really mattered when taking pictures of outdoor lights. Go out just before it gets dark but still dark enough for your lights to show well. If it's too dark the camera can't really 'see' to focus on anything and they all came out fuzzy, a little bit of sky light helps a lot.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Southern Living ain't what it used to be. After about 12 years, I think I'm going to let my subscription expire.
You know, now that you brought that up . . . once they changed the layout of the magazine (and binding) I felt it might as well be Better Homes and Gardens or Good Housekeeping. One of my friends, who had subscribed continually to SL since the 70s (yes!!!) cancelled her subscription in August and wrote the editor to explain WHY. Pretty sad.

So yes, you are probably right . . . won't learn too much from sending SL to anyone these days. SAD SAD SAD.

Last edited by brokensky; 12-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,222,725 times
Oh the neighbors would see it and maybe next year I will. Not that I don't get along with my neighbors, but... we'll leave it at that. And since its me and my plants, plus its a big house, so I would have to do it right. UGH!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Oh the neighbors would see it and maybe next year I will. Not that I don't get along with my neighbors, but... we'll leave it at that. And since its me and my plants, plus its a big house, so I would have to do it right. UGH!
Just say the word and I bet I can get about four other people to come decorate your house, Hee Hee. BxRosie, for one!!!! So don't give us an excuse to show up and light up your lawn!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,683,286 times
Glad to see people back on-topic and seemingly finished bashing those from other regions. Everybody is different; no need to get upset when someone does something differently than someone else.
And, as I think Ani said, we should all just have fun with it. It's a season when people celebrate in all different ways, so it makes sense that there would be different decorating styles.
That said, I do love my little white lights, red ribbon, and garland.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Glad to see people back on-topic and seemingly finished bashing those from other regions. Everybody is different; no need to get upset when someone does something differently than someone else.
And, as I think Ani said, we should all just have fun with it. It's a season when people celebrate in all different ways, so it makes sense that there would be different decorating styles.
That said, I do love my little white lights, red ribbon, and garland.
Cheesehead, your decorations sound just like mine!!!! Wreaths w/ red ribbons in windows, each window w/ a candle, white lights on some shrubs. And my little deer (white lights all over them) in the woods on the hill.

Now I am thinking I need some more stuff. I need some white lights that form a Christmas tree - have you seen those? Three of different sizes? They would look so nice up closer to the street. However, I only buy stuff on sale after Christmas. The last 2 years, I have tried to find those "trees" on sale and there were none to be had.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,547 times
If you could synchronize your lights (the blinking) to jingle bells that would be very "in".

Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,683,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Cheesehead, your decorations sound just like mine!!!! Wreaths w/ red ribbons in windows, each window w/ a candle, white lights on some shrubs. And my little deer (white lights all over them) in the woods on the hill.

Now I am thinking I need some more stuff. I need some white lights that form a Christmas tree - have you seen those? Three of different sizes? They would look so nice up closer to the street. However, I only buy stuff on sale after Christmas. The last 2 years, I have tried to find those "trees" on sale and there were none to be had.
Ani, we have some of those trees, but they're homemade. They were great for our old house because it was set way back from the street. At this house, everyone walking by would be able to tell they're made of CHICKEN WIRE!! Not HOA-approved, I'm pretty sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte