Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 AM

28 posts, read 145,410 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that someone can lend me some help in finding my perfect neighborhood, if it exists.
I am looking for a place where my neighbors say “good morning” every day. Where there are lots of elementary aged kids (around 6 years old) for my daughter to play with. A place where I don’t have to worry about my daughter walking home from school. Where the kids still play out side until the street lights come on. Relatively close to a mall and metropolitan area (30 minutes is relatively close in my book). A place where you have BBQ’s and the whole block participates. Basically I want to go back in time to what 1950? Does anyone have any idea where I can find this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM

476 posts, read 1,576,253 times
Does sound like heaven and we too are hoping that Charlotte is as close to it as we can get. If the folks on these boards are any indication, we should all do well to relo there. Best of luck in your search!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 PM

67 posts, read 65,110 times
My family and I moved from NJ for this exact reason and we have found it in Lawson in Waxhaw, which is south of Charlotte, we love it here and there are so many kids on my street alone and they all play while the parents are out chatting, we all have a great time.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,476 times
The great thing about new home communities for people that are relocating is that everyone is starting at the same point -- nobody knows each other yet ...We relocated from NY in 1998 and we had the same feeling about the neighborhood. The kids are outside playing and the rest of us are chatting. We even planned a couple of happy hours around it!

Lawson is a lovely community -- I had clients from NJ that built a Shea home in there. So far they are very happy with their choice.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:12 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
Well, considering I am watching some of my friends go through some real problems with their neighbors, even in *expensive* areas. I am really glad I don't have such close proximity to a multitude of folks. I live on a cul-de-sac with only 5 houses and the neighbors are wonderful. Our kids don't really play much together since they all have girls and we have boys, but they have been bike riding and such together.

As for walking to school......it really depends on if you want a city feel or a more country feel. Safety for my children walking by themselves as elem. school kids has to do with cars more than people. There are no sidewalks in the country, so I have to drive them if they go.

Anyway, my .02.

Dawn

Old 02-28-2007, 01:48 PM

16 posts, read 55,707 times
We are in the Matthews portion of Union county, in Shannamara, and we definitely have that feel!! Our schools are great, our taxes low, and my husband can be uptown for work in under 30 minutes. My kids play in the cul de sacs, we have neighborhood get togethers, a great social outlet at the pool every summer - and the neighborhood school is less than 5 minutes away.

It's perfect here.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
Considering I live in HE** development and area wise, Heaven would be a nice change, however I dont think it exists, so would try to find activities for my kids to do...My son has no freinds here so we would make due..Anyway buying new has its advantages and disadvantages, the avantages are yes you are all in the same boat so to speak so they are starting the same way you are which is very appealing, my fear however since we have built a few times before was if you dont buy in the right area, you also have the chance of not having children your kids ages and or u may not like who are your direct neighbors are so I guess its a catch 22....and I have my reservations buying a resale for the same reasons its already established and people have their friends already and then one needs to try to fit in..ok sorry just rambling again...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte