Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 AM

12 posts, read 46,575 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are finally moving to Charlotte -- my DH is moving at the end of this month, and I will be travelling with him to get his apartment squared away before I fly home. I have never been to Charlotte, and he's only been for work, so we both know very little. I have 24hrs after we arrive that I need to leave for home again.

SO, What do I do? His apartment will be in southpark, I think. I am planning on driving around to explore -- I will worry about realtors and schools when I come back over Easter break. I'm looking for some things (say, top 5) that will settle my relo-blues/nerves and convince me that Charlotte is a community we will be happy in. (We are coming from New Orleans.)

So, let's see...Where's a great place for lunch? A great shop for housewares/goodies? What's the best grocery store to get groceries for dinner that night? Where's a place that will make me say "wow"?

TIA!
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmom View Post
Hi!

We are finally moving to Charlotte -- my DH is moving at the end of this month, and I will be travelling with him to get his apartment squared away before I fly home. I have never been to Charlotte, and he's only been for work, so we both know very little. I have 24hrs after we arrive that I need to leave for home again.

SO, What do I do? His apartment will be in southpark, I think. I am planning on driving around to explore -- I will worry about realtors and schools when I come back over Easter break. I'm looking for some things (say, top 5) that will settle my relo-blues/nerves and convince me that Charlotte is a community we will be happy in. (We are coming from New Orleans.)

So, let's see...Where's a great place for lunch? A great shop for housewares/goodies? What's the best grocery store to get groceries for dinner that night? Where's a place that will make me say "wow"?

TIA!
Amy
Amy, glad this is all coming together for you guys Since you will be in the Southpark area you MUST go the the Morrocroft Harris Teeter for your groceries - love that place! It is a beautiful grocery store.
For lunch or dinner head over to Sharon Amity Road near Providence Rd and check out Hotel Charlotte. They actually serve some Louisiana dishes that will help you to feel less homesick After lunch take a right on Providence Rd and head toward uptown to see Myers Park and Dilworth - the two oldest neighborhoods in Charlotte with some grand old estate type homes. At Providence and Queens Rd hang a left to pass by the beautiful Queens College campus. Consult a map and see how easy uptown can be to drive in - ride by the Carolina Panthers stadium the new Bobcats arena, among other places in uptown. Heading away from uptown on Providence Rd (hwy 16) you can drive all the way to the quaint little town of Waxhaw and see many nice neighborhoods and retail areas along the way. The road literally deadends there in the heart of Waxhaw, you can't miss it There are so many other parts of Charlotte to see, but those are the ones in the immediate area where you will be staying that I think are worth a look. Have a great trip!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
What LovesMountains said +

For the grocery shopping go to the Harris Teeter in South Park (it's opposite South Park Mall)

Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM

178 posts, read 875,180 times
I would like to suggest that you spend one afternoon at Phillips Place (in Southpark). Have lunch at Dean & Deluca (gourmet grocery & fabulous shop). Then walk amongst the many shops :Restoration Hardware, Smith & Hawkins, BD Jeffries( beautiful gift/antique shop), Bedside Manor, and many more. There are also clothing shops, movie theatre and a day spa here. PF Chang is another favorite for dining here.

Afterwards yopu can easily get to Myers Park/Eastover & Dilworth for a feel of housing options.

Have fun!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
What LovesMountains said +

For the grocery shopping go to the Harris Teeter in South Park (it's opposite South Park Mall)
Just FYI, that IS the Morrocroft Harris Teeter

Old 03-19-2007, 12:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just FYI, that IS the Morrocroft Harris Teeter
I was trying to remember the name off it.

The hot bar there is amazing as well.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:25 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
Default Keep them coming!

I just found this thread and it's great!! I'm copying all the info so I can do the same when I go with MY husband and get him settled April 14
Joan

Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM

25 posts, read 71,734 times
Default a question regarding what i've been reading here...

it seems as though places to shop/eat/visit are more of the chain-store, franchise, mallish variety. is this the predominant theme in charlotte? i mean...are eating dominated by the pf changs, groceries dominated by the big chains and shops dominated by the kind you see expurgated within every mall - no matter where?

aren't there any little stores, farmers markets, boutiques, ethnic restaurants, places to rent and ride a horse, hiking trails, indy bookstores, music clubs, coffehouses, museums or galleries, pick-up games at parks, street vendors, etc etc etc?

c'mon...gotta be there somewhere people!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:14 PM

178 posts, read 875,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonentity View Post
it seems as though places to shop/eat/visit are more of the chain-store, franchise, mallish variety. is this the predominant theme in charlotte? i mean...are eating dominated by the pf changs, groceries dominated by the big chains and shops dominated by the kind you see expurgated within every mall - no matter where?

aren't there any little stores, farmers markets, boutiques, ethnic restaurants, places to rent and ride a horse, hiking trails, indy bookstores, music clubs, coffehouses, museums or galleries, pick-up games at parks, street vendors, etc etc etc?

c'mon...gotta be there somewhere people!
I was just relaying one of my favorite places to go-Phillips Place. It is a very charming and attractive walking area with trees and storefronts(not a mall). Most of the stores there are independently owned (Coplans, Bedside Manor,Magic Windows, Montaldos,BD Jeffries,Modern Salon, Bamboo). It just so happen that some of the shops are national shops in a beautiful setting. I love PF Changs food and find tons of wonderful things for the home at Restoration Hardware.

Yes, we have an entire street,Providence Road, in Myers Park that is filled with locally owned shops as well. You have to drive from one to the next as they are spaced blocks apart, so it is not feasible to walk them. Here you will find art galleries, clothing stores, flower shops,gift stores,wine shops, many antique stores and a slew of bars/restaurants that are all locally owned.

The best indy bookstore is at Park Road shopping center-run by a lady that actually reads and reccommends excellent books for many book clubs in town.

For hiking, I go to Latta Park near lake Norman for local flat trails, and to the mountains of NC (Blowing Rock) for more challenging terrain.

We have one of the finest galleries in NC in The Mint Museum of Art and Mint Museum of Craft & Design with noted collections of American art, pre-Columbian art, American and European ceramics, American decorative arts, historic costumes and accessories, African art, Asian art, historic maps, contemporary art and photography Hugh McColl( formerlly the CEO of Bank of America) has established the MC Coll Center for Visual Art, an urban artists community and gallery .

So yes, we have many options for many tastes here in Charlotte. I have only listed a few.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonentity View Post
I have the same questions, anonentity! Crikey, if one has 24 hours and eats even one meal at a chain restaurant, seems like a misguided approach to taking in a city. Unless it's an socio anthro exploration into homogenised consume-valued living.

Though if that's the local culture, maybe one is constrained to find authentic history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte