U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse67 View Post
Thank you all very much for the information. It was definitely helped me a lot.
Jesse, in all my almost 2 decades of living here I have never heard a single thing about active Klu Klux Klan groups anywhere in the Charlotte metro region AT ALL. And especially near Belmont or Mt. Holly - these are good places to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
 
116 posts, read 383,847 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
you know NCborn...your post seem to come right out of left field. Then I went back and read some of your past postings...and suddenly it all became quiet clear to me. May I suggest to anyone getting ready to respond to you...that they too read your previous posts first.
Would you care to elaborate? Specifically what have I posted that is inaccurate? How about doing a quick google search of "Mount Holly" and "Ku Klux Klan." You'll come up with LOTS hits like this one:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...itism/KKK.html

"The Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan: Formed in 1985 by Virgil Griffin and based in Mount Holly, North Carolina. The Christian Knights are active in North and South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee. A suspect in two June 1995 arsons of predominately Black South Carolina churches-part of an apparent epidemic of church arsons occurring throughout the country since January 1995-carried a card identifying him as a member of the Christian Knights."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 PM
 
116 posts, read 383,847 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thank you SO much for the heads up! Now I won't waste a second of my time responding to that person. Isn't it amazing how some people just thrive on the negative?
Sorry, dude, I love the Charlotte area and lived there for six years. But when someone is wants the truth about an area, I'm not going to candy-coat it and pretend all is sweetness and light. I've noticed from your posts that you only post positive things about the Charlotte area and North Carolina. That's fine if you want to do that, but IMO I think it's only fair to let people know the whole story. If I were to move back to the Charlotte area, there's no way I'd move anywhere near Mt. Holly or Gastonia because of the things I saw there. Perhaps there have been changes since then, but from my experience, the changes would have to be quite drastic. The only time in my entire life I have EVER encountered someone who was open about being in the KKK was at that interview over in far west Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
 
116 posts, read 383,847 times
Reputation: 46
Here's another link to a story in TODAY's in the LA Times that mentions Mt Holly and the KKK:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...a-news-comment

"In North Carolina, the Charlotte Observer, reacting to the ADL report, contacted "imperial wizard" Virgil Griffin of Mount Holly. "The illegal immigrants are taking this country over," Griffin said, and as a result, he claimed, his Klan's membership is growing faster than at any time since the 1960s."

Sorry, when I see things like this my reaction isn't, "Hey, I highly recommend that you move to Mount Holly! It's wonderful!"



Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
Would you care to elaborate? Specifically what have I posted that is inaccurate? How about doing a quick google search of "Mount Holly" and "Ku Klux Klan." You'll come up with LOTS hits like this one:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...itism/KKK.html

"The Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan: Formed in 1985 by Virgil Griffin and based in Mount Holly, North Carolina. The Christian Knights are active in North and South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee. A suspect in two June 1995 arsons of predominately Black South Carolina churches-part of an apparent epidemic of church arsons occurring throughout the country since January 1995-carried a card identifying him as a member of the Christian Knights."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
10 posts, read 138,468 times
Reputation: 10
I do have some clients there but I am not 100% sure about schools, crime stats etc. I'll see what I can find out though... I am an ADT home security representative and part of our service is to assist new movers in learning more about the neighborhoods in which they intend to move, specifically crime stats and possible sex offenders that may be living in the area.

I've got a pretty full desk but when you get closer to making your decision please let me know and i'll see what I can find out. Also when you do move into your new home I would be very happy to conduct a free security walk-through and offer suggestions on how to make you home more safe and secure, ok?

Eric Studyvin
(704) 281-9173
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
D&J
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
19 posts, read 53,568 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
Here's another link to a story in TODAY's in the LA Times that mentions Mt Holly and the KKK:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...a-news-comment

"In North Carolina, the Charlotte Observer, reacting to the ADL report, contacted "imperial wizard" Virgil Griffin of Mount Holly. "The illegal immigrants are taking this country over," Griffin said, and as a result, he claimed, his Klan's membership is growing faster than at any time since the 1960s."

Sorry, when I see things like this my reaction isn't, "Hey, I highly recommend that you move to Mount Holly! It's wonderful!"
Sorry to have to throw this in, but when there is ANY form of free 'advertising' to be made, who wouldn't take it? Granted I of course don't agree with the KKK, but this Griffin guy no doubt saw an opportunity to make a bold and brash statement to make people believe that it's alive and kicking, when the LA Times article clearly states a byline "The Klan is still dead" and other statements such as "There's no doubt that what Klan members there are scattered across the U.S. do manifest a hateful hostility toward Latino immigrants. I have no illusions about how dangerous these people can be, and I have no doubt that leaders of the various Klan organizations would like to use the growing hostility as a way to resuscitate their discredited ideology and rebuild their weakened, fragmented structure"
He saw an opportunity to rebuild the ideaology and that's it. It doesn't mean that Charlotte should get beaten down just because of a stupid comment from some stupid guy.
I don't believe negative forum comments are warranted based on a newspaper article which clearly downplays the resurgence in KKK activity rather than embracing it.
Maybe we can stick to the topic at hand...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
Sorry, dude, I love the Charlotte area and lived there for six years. But when someone is wants the truth about an area, I'm not going to candy-coat it and pretend all is sweetness and light. I've noticed from your posts that you only post positive things about the Charlotte area and North Carolina. That's fine if you want to do that, but IMO I think it's only fair to let people know the whole story. If I were to move back to the Charlotte area, there's no way I'd move anywhere near Mt. Holly or Gastonia because of the things I saw there. Perhaps there have been changes since then, but from my experience, the changes would have to be quite drastic. The only time in my entire life I have EVER encountered someone who was open about being in the KKK was at that interview over in far west Charlotte.

I refuse to let you hijack this thread and turn it into something negative.

I am sure we are all aware that hate and prejudice are to be found in every state in this country and beyond. NC itself has some sad chapters in its past of incidents related to these imbecciles, like many other states. But I feel certain most people are already aware of this history. The fact that I could live here for almost 20 years and have never heard of any ACTIVE Klan problems in the Charlotte metro doesn't mean the klan isn't around. It just means there is very little chance a person moving here will be impacted in any way, shape or form by the handful of members who might be among us.

Just because I give info to folks in an upbeat positive manner in no way means that I am sugar coating anything. I feel certain there are at least a dozen people here right now who would tell you how brutally honest I have been with them on lots of issues. I just believe it is entirely possible to give people the truth without having to be ugly or negative about it.

I am here to help people. Why are YOU here? Because your kind of "help" they could do without. Think about it, what did you think anyone could possibly gain from your little tidbit about something that happened to you 1 time years ago involving ONE person who is in the klan? There is absolutely nothing constructive or valuable in what you wrote.

Now, if you don't have any more real info for our original poster on life in Belmont perhaps you would do us all a favor and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
 
116 posts, read 383,847 times
Reputation: 46
Hijack? That's nice. Listen, I'm not trying to be negative, I'm trying to be truthful. This person asked about a specific community in the Charlotte area. People coming to this group are in the planning stages of making a *huge* decision in their life and they deserve to understand fully what they're getting into. The person asking this specific question made no mention of his race, religion or sexual orientation (I'm assuming it's a "he"). If this person happens to be, say, latino, I would hate to think he chose a certain community based only on biased information. And then he winds up having a neighbor who wants to burn a cross on his lawn.

I can't explain why you have never heard, in your 20 years in Charlotte, about the KKK having a chapter headquartered in Mt. Holly. I've known about this for YEARS. There have been many, many stories about this in the news. It's not as if this has fact has been hidden. Is everyone in Mt. Holly of this ilk? I'm sure they're not. But at the same time, I would still have to wonder about a community where a hate group like the KKK is able to thrive. Knowing what I know, I would never recommend an individual choose that community to raise their family. What I would love would be for 1000 black, jewish, gay, and muslim families to move there overwhelm the hate mongers who may well already be in the minority. But that's only a dream. As such, all I can do for Jesse is to advise that this element does exist there, has been there for a long time and has not diminished, and he can make his own decision. But to ignore these prevelant facts would be serious disservice to him and anyone else wanting to know about that specific community as they embark on a huge life decision.

You ask what someone could gain by me giving a story about my own personal experience, or the fact the KKK has a chapter headquartered in Mt. Holly? Well my question back to you is, why do you think people are coming here in the first place, asking us as individuals these questions, if they don't want to know our frank opinions or about our personal experiences or anything else we know about the community? If we don't give them all the information we have about a place, then how are we being useful to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I refuse to let you hijack this thread and turn it into something negative.

I am sure we are all aware that hate and prejudice are to be found in every state in this country and beyond. NC itself has some sad chapters in its past of incidents related to these imbecciles, like many other states. But I feel certain most people are already aware of this history. The fact that I could live here for almost 20 years and have never heard of any ACTIVE Klan problems in the Charlotte metro doesn't mean the klan isn't around. It just means there is very little chance a person moving here will be impacted in any way, shape or form by the handful of members who might be among us.

Just because I give info to folks in an upbeat positive manner in no way means that I am sugar coating anything. I feel certain there are at least a dozen people here right now who would tell you how brutally honest I have been with them on lots of issues. I just believe it is entirely possible to give people the truth without having to be ugly or negative about it.

I am here to help people. Why are YOU here? Because your kind of "help" they could do without. Think about it, what did you think anyone could possibly gain from your little tidbit about something that happened to you 1 time years ago involving ONE person who is in the klan? There is absolutely nothing constructive or valuable in what you wrote.

Now, if you don't have any more real info for our original poster on life in Belmont perhaps you would do us all a favor and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
 
116 posts, read 383,847 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J View Post
It doesn't mean that Charlotte should get beaten down just because of a stupid comment from some stupid guy.
I'm not talking about Charlotte, I'm talking about the small community of Mt. Holly. Again, for all I know he is an absolute minority in Mt. Holly and hated by everyone else that lives there. But the fact is there is a KKK chapter headquartered there. I had my own experience at a job interview over in that part of Charlotte near Mt. Holly where the personnel director was a KKK member. Perhaps these facts have distorted my impressions, but I have a hard time thinking they mean nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
D&J
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
19 posts, read 53,568 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
I'm not talking about Charlotte, I'm talking about the small community of Mt. Holly. Again, for all I know he is an absolute minority in Mt. Holly and hated by everyone else that lives there. But the fact is there is a KKK chapter headquartered there. I had my own experience at a job interview over in that part of Charlotte near Mt. Holly where the personnel director was a KKK member. Perhaps these facts have distorted my impressions, but I have a hard time thinking they mean nothing.
My apologies for not clarifying. With Belmont/Mt Holly only a stones throw from Charlotte, and this being the Charlotte subforum, I merely meant "Charlotte" as a whole - including it's outlying suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top