Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sheenie - as I suspected, a quick check reveals that getting temporary insurance - rather than electing to take COBRA bennies - can possibly ********* up if you have pre-existing conditions.

So glad you mentioned this as it is crucial info for those w/ pre-existing conditions. For those without pre-existing conditions and no need for "portability" - this could be a useful strategy.

Beware: Temporary Health Insurance
Like I said, as much as people don't want to hear it, Cobra was cheaper than any other insurance we could go with, and that is because we do have some preexisting conditions, though nothing serious like kidney dialysis or heart transplants, lol! Any preexisting condition will be held against you by the other insurers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Like I said, as much as people don't want to hear it, Cobra was cheaper than any other insurance we could go with, and that is because we do have some preexisting conditions, though nothing serious like kidney dialysis or heart transplants, lol! Any preexisting condition will be held against you by the other insurers.
That's especially true for people with pre-existing conditions or you're no longer in that golden demographic age group. Once you reach AARP status, finding a new policy to cover you, makes COBRA look cheap!

"Gee, do I get free Mercedes S-Class if I sign up with your company, given the premiums I'll be paying?"

Old 01-11-2009, 05:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sure will. It can be something very simple and doesn't have to be a chronic condition. We were nearly turned down for insurance 10 years ago b/c DH had torn the ligaments in his knee (torn several - not just cruciate). We were able to get insurance (finally - after jumping thru/ hoops) but the rate went way up!!! ARRRGHHH.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
In another state, my COBRA coverage was $450. I used it as a bridge to Medicare. It hurt to pay that amount but my insulin alone costs more than that per month.

For all that people complain about Medicare, I have found it covers more and is simpler to use than any other employer-proveded insurance I have ever had. So I hope it goes on - at least until I die!!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Got private insurance in May 2007 for $538 for the family through Golden Rule, a United Healthcare company. COBRA would have been $1,200. I don't know if I could get that again at that rate if I ever had to after having breast cancer. I know they can't refuse to cover you if you had prior insurance (at least that's the law in SC) but I don't know what the premiums would be.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
We were one of the lucky families that qualified for Medicaid...

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,416 times
Ani - thx so much for starting this thread. Those of us who are having to consider our options such as COBRA need all the info we can get!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
Ani - thx so much for starting this thread. Those of us who are having to consider our options such as COBRA need all the info we can get!
You are very welcome! I am trying to put together resource info for those out of work or who are planning in case they could lose their jobs or face a lay-off. If everyone will let me know what they are wondering about - I will do my best to round up info, weblinks and experts to interface with so questions are answered.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 PM

wonder what word I typed in that the filter thought was a dirty word???? all those ****** freak me out!!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:14 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Potty mouth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte