Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM

327 posts, read 1,197,239 times

Advertisements

If you come, you'll have to also try Eastern NC style BBQ at Bubbas on Sunset Road. Then you can compare the two and see which you like best. The eastern style is made with a vinegar-based sauce. I know that doesn't sound great on the surface, but there's plenty of other spices mixed in and it is Great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
If you come, you'll have to also try Eastern NC style BBQ at Bubbas on Sunset Road. Then you can compare the two and see which you like best. The eastern style is made with a vinegar-based sauce. I know that doesn't sound great on the surface, but there's plenty of other spices mixed in and it is Great!

I'll 2nd the vote for Bubba's. Best BBQ I've had in the short time we've been here.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I read your posting yesterday and thought, "I have heard of Bubbas, and I hear it is good Eastern NC style, I'll try it". I had lunch there yesterday. It was authentic Eastern N.C. style. I will admit that they are excellent. They may not seem as good as other places because Bubbas gets rid of all of the fat, grease, etc. in their pork. I will sacrafice the grease and fat for a healthier meal. It was really good. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM

96 posts, read 228,659 times
good luck finding good italian food in Charlotte, the pizza is no where near as good as New York! I'm Italian and I pull up to these great spots with Italian names and am ashamed at what they call pizza, and their sauce's, forget about it! BUT!! this place called Amalfi's off of 49 near UNC Charlotte has incredible sauce. Only problem with the place is that the owner is a Yankee's fan which makes it hard to eat there being a Red Sox fan, but despite his choice is teams his food is awesome! Also, Blue in Uptown has some killer food, alittle pricey but awesome! RiRa's has awesome food too, their on Tryon right near all the Bank of America buildings! If your from New York you'll love the traffic down here! I fly right into uptown at 6pm and park reight in the center of the city for only 5$ and it only takes 15 min, welcome to the promise land

Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRoverSnob View Post
good luck finding good italian food in Charlotte, the pizza is no where near as good as New York! I'm Italian and I pull up to these great spots with Italian names and am ashamed at what they call pizza, and their sauce's, forget about it! BUT!! this place called Amalfi's off of 49 near UNC Charlotte has incredible sauce. Only problem with the place is that the owner is a Yankee's fan which makes it hard to eat there being a Red Sox fan, but despite his choice is teams his food is awesome! Also, Blue in Uptown has some killer food, alittle pricey but awesome! RiRa's has awesome food too, their on Tryon right near all the Bank of America buildings! If your from New York you'll love the traffic down here! I fly right into uptown at 6pm and park reight in the center of the city for only 5$ and it only takes 15 min, welcome to the promise land

I discussed New York pizzas and bagals with a New Yorker friend the other day. He clarified that the reason that New York bagals and pizzas are so great is because of the New York water. He agreed that pizzas are generally made with the same ingrediants everywhere. For example, most people know that a pizza in Sicily is different than one in Napoli or Rome, etc., so the difference is the New York water according to him. So my question was, why do New Yorkers ask where they can get a good New York pizza or bagal outside of New York when New York water isn't used? According to the usual New York logic on the topic, it couldn't possibly be a good a N.Y. pizza, right? Truth is, put a bag over you head and serve a Lender's bagal or a Lean Cuisine spagetti dinner,and have a New Yorker tell you it is from New York, and you probably wouldn't know the difference. LOL. It works the same with cheap good versus expensive bad French wines. Very few will truly know the difference.

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-14-2008 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-14-2008, 04:10 PM

85 posts, read 193,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofnj View Post
Something tells me its not the most health conscious city
actually i think charlotte ranks near the top in percentage of people having gym memberships. the south in general though, is known for deep fried cooking.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 PM

85 posts, read 193,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRoverSnob View Post
try mama ricottas. its the best italian food ive ever had. plus they have new haven style pizza. its excellent.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 PM

10 posts, read 36,098 times
You will not want to miss these restaurants:

T1 Tapas (Birkdale)
Custom Shop (Charlotte)
Fig Tree (Charlotte)

Although it isn't a restaurant, there is a local food club called Know Your Farms that operates in Charlotte. It is unique in this area and is a great source of local food, which I've heard is very high quality.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 AM

26 posts, read 61,438 times
give yelp.com a try
its one of my fav websites and basically a social networking site for food/entertainment. plus, you dont need to sign up to read the reviews and the search engine works well

Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
Default k, now I'm curious...

[quote=LocalFoodie;7095118]You will not want to miss these restaurants:

T1 Tapas (Birkdale)
Custom Shop (Charlotte)
Fig Tree (Charlotte)

Although it isn't a restaurant, there is a local food club called Know Your Farms that operates in Charlotte. It is unique in this area and is a great source of local food, which I've heard is very high quality.[/QUOTE/]

...what your interest in this club is since you've resurrected a number of old threads just to post this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte