Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM

104 posts, read 309,071 times

Advertisements

There is a Charter School job fair on the 28th. I believe it is at the Socrates Academy. I think working at a charter is fantastic if you have chidren that are school age. If you work there your children are automatically accepted if they meet the criteria. Some of the charters are very difficult to get into and have very high ratings. In addition, many of them are adding positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thena23sosu View Post
My understanding is that they will all be elementary schools is this not accurate???? Also, do you know when they will be posting open positions, because the list is very generic???
It probably won't be until after the transfer period and that won't happen until the end of April.

We have been told just under 500 teachers will be let go and that probably includes assistant teachers, retirees who come back as consultants (?),
80+ Assistant Principals and what they are calling non-career teachers who have less than 4 years in. The cuts are going to be based on performance first and then seniority and mostly in elementary school. Principals should have their staff numbers (I guess based on their school projections) by next Friday. Just keep checking the website Home then go under HR and the job openings.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post
There is a Charter School job fair on the 28th. I believe it is at the Socrates Academy. I think working at a charter is fantastic if you have chidren that are school age. If you work there your children are automatically accepted if they meet the criteria. Some of the charters are very difficult to get into and have very high ratings. In addition, many of them are adding positions.
Are Charter schools private schools? I thought I heard on the news last night that in NC, Charter schools were part of the public school system? It was on Fox news. I don't know anything about Charter but would be interested in any info.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
I currently teach HS Science in Alabama, and seeking a position in CMS. But I read that they are looking to layoff 1000 teachers. Is this number above and beyond the retirees, relocating teachers, and the teachers that will not be renewed? The future seems to look bleak in my prospects of finding a position. Does anyone in the CMS have any insight into this?
Just want to reenforce what "Lovesmountains" said. If you teach science or math and have good references, you will get in. It won't take long.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 PM

104 posts, read 309,071 times
Quote:
Are Charter schools private schools? I thought I heard on the news last night that in NC, Charter schools were part of the public school system? It was on Fox news. I don't know anything about Charter but would be interested in any info.
The charter schools are public. They are open to any student that meets the criteria that lives in the state. So you do not have to live in a certain county/school district to attend. Some the schools are very difficult to get into. They are required to use a lottery system. We did excellent in the lottery and will probably get into 3 out of 4 that we applied to. I do not think this is typical. Some of the charters are rated very high. There programs can be very creative. Most of the schools want/need parental involvement. Most of the lotteries have closed for this year but I think there may be 1 or 2 open. I think that teacher generally like working in them because the students usually want ot be there. However, I think there work day tends to a little longer. It seems to me be the kind of place you want to work if you like to work 100% (like most teachers). I was told that they are part of the NC retirement system but have not verified this.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
As soon as the state budget is released, there will be a better picture of what is going to happen. Right now, there is a 3%, 5% or 7% cut being proposed. All of the administration has been basing their numbers off of the 5% cut. So, it could be worse or it may not be that bad. That number would be positions eliminated. If people quit or retire, that would save someone from being let go. It looks as if the market will be flooded with qualified teachers next year, just like it is almost everywhere else. Elementary was oversaturated last year and it will be much worse next year. I don't know as much about Secondary.
Opening the new schools will help, but not much. Typically, they hire very few teachers when a new school opens because all of these kids that will go to the new school are currently in mobile classrooms. The schools eliminate the trailer units and the teachers get transferred around. It is surprising how few outside teachers get a job when a school opens around here.
I do know a couple of teachers in CMS that have been pink-slipped already.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:33 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
from what I have heard from teachers I know looking for jobs w/CMS: they are NOT hiring currently. I know 2 or 3 people w/master's degrees who have applied and been told they are in a hiring freeze across the board.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 31,517 times
I have a MS in Secondary Ed and am highly qualified in Chemistry, Physics, Physical Science and have taught Biology, Advanced Biology, Anatomy and Physiology as well as Algebra I and Algebra II and Precalcus.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
I have a MS in Secondary Ed and am highly qualified in Chemistry, Physics, Physical Science and have taught Biology, Advanced Biology, Anatomy and Physiology as well as Algebra I and Algebra II and Precalcus.
With qualifications like that, CMS or other systems would kill to get you. If you don't have a job in Sept, by Oct you would, after the teacher "early shake-out" occurs!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
....... Just keep your eyes open and get your resume out to every school prinicipal at every school you think you are interested in.
All Principals will receive resumes of prospective job applicants from HR electronically, not individually. BUT, it can't hurt to send a cover letter to Principals at selected schools informing them of your interest and asking them to look at your resume on file in HR. You must update your resume online periodically or it can be purged from the system. (I think this might be done yearly now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte