Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,440 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Indiana after I graduate in May. I am looking into getting a teaching job around the Charlotte area. In April I'm going to interview and go to job fairs. I am planning on going to Cabarrus, Union, Gaston, Lincoln, and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Counties. Can anyone tell me about the schools in this area or about living in these areas? Any information would be helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 PM

146 posts, read 638,776 times
Default school

Last semester, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools reported the following:

* CMPD responded to over 1,300 calls for service at CMS schools
* 157 incidents of students possessing a weapon on school grounds
* 22 kids were caught with guns in school
* 25 assaults on school personnel
* 15 sexual offenses
* 7 sexual assaults
* 4 assaults resulting in serious injury
* 2 robberies with a dangerous weapon

This is a total of 232 incidents I would consider serious offenses; however, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system only expelled 2 of these students!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 PM

Default school

Two eighth grade students were arrested today at Northridge Middle School after CMS officials found a gun in one of the students bookbags.

According to school officials, a student saw the gun on the bus and reported the incident to school officials. Two students were arrested because they swapped the gun in the bathroom.

The students who were arrested could be suspended for a year according to CMS' zero tolerance policy. The students are due a hearing to determine if they should be suspended.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Default schools

Montrez Benjamin Williams, 16, was arrested early this morning and charged with robbery using a dangerous weapon and assault with a gun.

Police say Montrez Williams pistol whipped a 13-year old boy and stole his moped around 10:00 last night. The 13-year old victim suffered minor injuries.

Montrez is a student at West Mecklenburg High School and turned 16 in August. His bond is set at $28,000.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad View Post
Last semester, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools reported the following:

* CMPD responded to over 1,300 calls for service at CMS schools
* 157 incidents of students possessing a weapon on school grounds
* 22 kids were caught with guns in school
* 25 assaults on school personnel
* 15 sexual offenses
* 7 sexual assaults
* 4 assaults resulting in serious injury
* 2 robberies with a dangerous weapon

This is a total of 232 incidents I would consider serious offenses; however, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system only expelled 2 of these students!
Is attempting to scare people off by repeating bad stats all you know how to do?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Montrez Benjamin Williams, 16, was arrested early this morning and charged with robbery using a dangerous weapon and assault with a gun.

Police say Montrez Williams pistol whipped a 13-year old boy and stole his moped around 10:00 last night. The 13-year old victim suffered minor injuries.

Montrez is a student at West Mecklenburg High School and turned 16 in August. His bond is set at $28,000.
I answered this once before, but your post was deleted, so mine was too. Most likely they will be again - but here goes...What does this little story have to do with Charlotte/Mecklenburg schools? Are you trying to suggest that just because this kid is assigned to a Charlotte school he is a criminal? This incident apparently occured at 10 in the evening, was the school supposed to be babysitting these boys or something? WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Is attempting to scare people off by repeating bad stats all you know how to do?
These bad stats are reported by the CPD and CMS and they are scary. Sorry for the truth.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
These bad stats are reported by the CPD and CMS and they are scary. Sorry for the truth.
But what is your point??? Do you blame Char/Meck schools just because a kid who happens to be assigned to one of its schools commited a crime at 10 o'clock one night?

Statistics on anything never tell the whole story.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,440 times
Thanks for the information. Does anyone know anything about any of the other counties?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But what is your point??? Do you blame Char/Meck schools just because a kid who happens to be assigned to one of its schools commited a crime at 10 o'clock one night?

Statistics on anything never tell the whole story.
most well prepared kids are not out at 10 pm commiting crimes. the school is not to blame but parents of future students MAY like to know this info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: