Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
But I am sure the seller would have been willing to negotiate the price a little more if he didn't have to pay the 6%.
That's really not true. People want the best price for their home, and it's the selling price that goes to comps - not the commission. I priced my home at its value - the realtor's commission did not play into it. I didn't up the price by 6% to make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM

348 posts, read 846,820 times
Another thing I believe is a ripoff is the PMI. If you have years of steady history of paying your mortgage (or even Rent) on time every month by the 5th of the month, and have really good credit, why do you have to pay PMI (which can add up to a big chunk of money as time goes by). The reasoning is if you don't have 20% equity in your house you have to pay PMI. This is a major ripoff.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM

70 posts, read 267,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
Another thing I believe is a ripoff is the PMI. If you have years of steady history of paying your mortgage (or even Rent) on time every month by the 5th of the month, and have really good credit, why do you have to pay PMI (which can add up to a big chunk of money as time goes by). The reasoning is if you don't have 20% equity in your house you have to pay PMI. This is a major ripoff.
PMI is private mortgage insurance. What are buying is insurance that helps the lender recover the costs involved in foreclosure in case the loan goes bad. Not sure why it would be a ripoff, unless you had more than 20% equity, which these days, not many people have!

Fees are charges that are put in place to DISCLOSE that there are costs to doing business. I would prefer this to just having a blanket cost, thrown into the deal. We all know that there are costs to doing business and that in order for each and every business to survive (and employ people) they need to be profitable. I have no problem with that. Like others have stated, if you don't like the fees, shop them to the competition and see if you can do better. Rarely is anything as simple or as cheap as it seems. Think about all of the "things" that go on in whatever business or trade you are in. What one's would you do for free?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Who cares how much the fees are? Just borrow 110% of the purchase price. That should be enough to cover all your fees and leave you a little bit left over for decorating the new home.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatol View Post
Realtor fees are always negotiable. Find a smaller agency that will work with you.
Why use a realtor???? you can do the same yourself ,just open an escrow acount , they will tell you what is needed . QUESTION ???? what did we do many years ago when we bought a home. ?? we drove around , found property that we liked , knocked on the door discused price , then went and opened escrow. time to do it the "OLD FASHION WAY" you already know you have to do the job your self if you want it done right!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Who cares how much the fees are? Just borrow 110% of the purchase price. That should be enough to cover all your fees and leave you a little bit left over for decorating the new home.

I hope this was a joke. If not, I rate this "Dumbest post ever."

Who in their right mind would want -10% LTV?

Old 03-27-2009, 04:39 PM

314 posts, read 1,136,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I wasn't charged the 6% Realtor fee, it was on the seller side of the HUD statement. But I am sure the seller would have been willing to negotiate the price a little more if he didn't have to pay the 6%. So ultimately the buyers pay for it.
Using that same thought process, one could also argue that the buyer is having to pay for your closing costs. If you didn't have to pay so many closing costs, he could have negotiated a higher price for his home.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:44 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I hope this was a joke. If not, I rate this "Dumbest post ever."

Who in their right mind would want -10% LTV?
No lender out there would do that now, anyway

Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
No lender out there would do that now, anyway
True, no lender will do that now but instead of a sad smiley should be a .

Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
Ya know - I only got one speeding ticket in my life (in 1989), have never had a car accident or any other sort of driving incident....its a major ripoff that I have to pay auto insurance in order to be able to drive my car.

Having stellar credit and a history of on-time payments means nothing if you lose your income for a sustained period of time and have to default on the loan. Why should the bank assume that risk? If you think PMI is a ripoff - put down 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte