Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:23 AM

17 posts, read 39,745 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to manage a project in Cliffside, North Carolina.

Are all the places around Cliffside pretty rural? What are the schools like (we have two elementary aged children)? I am looking for a fairly developed area that offers good schools and all the amenities that we are used to (shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.). My husband is willing to have a commute of 45 minutes to an hour one way.

Our budget is between $200 and $250 K.

Are there any places around that would offer all that we are looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctatom View Post
My husband is being transferred to manage a project in Cliffside, North Carolina.

Are all the places around Cliffside pretty rural? What are the schools like (we have two elementary aged children)? I am looking for a fairly developed area that offers good schools and all the amenities that we are used to (shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.). My husband is willing to have a commute of 45 minutes to an hour one way.

Our budget is between $200 and $250 K.

Are there any places around that would offer all that we are looking for?
Well, I personally like the little town of Boiling Springs near Cliffside. But even though there is a little college there, you would probably not find it to your liking in the entertainment and restaurant category.

Your best bet for keeping your husbands commute to under 45 minutes is going to be Spartanburg, SC at about 30 minutes. It will give you more options on amenities than anything else that close. For a little longer commute (50 minutes or so) you could look at Hendersonville, NC - another nice small city. Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
check out my families home place of Rutherfordton, NC.
It truly is a wonderful little town.

Good luck

Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM

70 posts, read 227,356 times
JC,
Anywhere in Rutherford county will get what you and your husband desire. Forest City and Rutherfordton are the two main towns. Also Spindale and Bostic. All nice areas. If you want more info about Rutherford county just send me a direct message. I will be glad to help.
MM

Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM

415 posts, read 1,150,212 times
There really are not any options within 45 minutes to an hour of Cliffside that would meet all your needs, I suspect. Cliffside is a very rural area. I assume the job is at the Duke Power electric plant?

As previously mentioned, Boiling Springs is pretty close, but a small town that does not have a lot of shopping. A couple of small restaurants, nothing great, probably because the town is dry (no alcohol served or sold anywhere). It is not too far from Shelby, though, and while not a shopping mecca, it does have the sorts of things you would expect from a small city of about 25,000 (Lowes, a small shopping mall with a couple of department stores, etc.). Shelby has a few good restaurants, maybe 2 or 3, and a few chain places like Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, etc. and is not dry. Gastonia is about 45 minutes from Boiling Springs, and has the major big box stores and more dining choices, with Charlotte about an 1:15 away. The schools in Cleveland County (Shelby, Boiling Springs, Kings Mountain) are average at best - decent in some cases, bad in others. The Boiling Springs area schools - pretty good elementary schools, but only decent in the middle and high school.

If schools are the most important thing, check out Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy, which is an excellent charter school that is just a few miles from Cliffside near Henrietta, NC (Rutherford County). You can live in Boiling Springs, or in Rutherford County (Forest City, Rutherfordton) and not be too far from it. You will be able to find a very nice home in Cleveland and Rutherford counties in the price range you mentioned.

Rutherfordton is a very nice small town with a good feel to it, and is pretty much right at the mountains. Again, a few (maybe 2 or 3) decent restaurants, and nearby Forest City has pretty much the same sort of things that Shelby has. Rutherfordton is very close to some nice natural attractions, and Asheville is less than an hour away - while a relatively small city, Asheville has a lot to offer with regard to the arts and dining.

But, you mentioned that you want "a fairly developed area that offers good schools and all the amenities that we are used to (shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.)". While Rutherford and Cleveland County both have these things to a degree, they may not have as much as you would like, depending on where you are coming from. If you are coming from a metropolitan area, you will probably find both counties to be very lacking in these regards (though you will find plenty within an hour's drive). If you are from a similar sized area, it will probably work out well for you. If you give a more details of what you are looking for in the areas of dining, shopping, etc., I could give you more input on that.

Another possibility may be Spartanburg, SC - probably 45 minutes to Cliffside. Similar to Gastonia. I don't know much about the schools there.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM

177 posts, read 552,476 times
Rutherfordton is a nice little town. I like it better than Forest City because Rutherfordton is a little more upscale. Overall, Rutherford County is pretty rural. The hospital is in Rutherfordton as well as the Courthouse so there are many doctors and lawyers who reside in Rutherfordton and there are some beautiful neighborhoods and homes. Check out areas near the hospital, near Rutherfordton Elementary, Main Street, and a neighborhood called Forest Hills which is near Edwards Street and Honeysuckle Drive. There is a newer section called Forest Hills South but it's not brand new. It was developed in the 90s. It is also closer to the mountains. Rutherfordton, IMHO, just has a better feel. It is small though. Shelby is bigger than Rutherfordton or Forest City and has a little more but it's nothing to brag about. They have a nice little downtown. Shelby is close to Cliffside, just a straight shot down 74. It is all pretty rural to me. If you choose to move to Shelby, just keep in mind your commute. Make sure that you live on the side closer to Cliffside or have back roads you can take so you don't have to go through all the traffic lights on Bypass 74. If you get caught by one you get caught by all. Oh, and don't speed anywhere on HWY 74 because the cops are always on the lookout for speeders and always pull people over.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
OK, I've said this before, Kings Mountain for housing, allowing for the fact that shopping is lacking in the town with the exception of the Ingles supermarket, Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies Rite Aid & CVS, you can get to any shopping that you want in 15 minutes (Shelby, or Gastonia), 20 minutes (Gaffney) or 30 to 40 minutes (South Charlottre or Hickory) Everyone who I have talked to, native or transplant, with kids currently in school, is satisfied with the schools. 74 & 85 both go through the town. Hospitals in Kings Mountain, Shelby or Gastonia, as well as Charlotte.

Contrary to what was said in yesterday's thread, here's a link to a search on Realtor.com for houses $200K & up. Kings Mountain, NC, Real Estate Listings and Kings Mountain Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com® There are housing developments.

Search for grocery threads on this board. Read the May 2009 Consumer Reports for supermarket ratings. Publix is not in the Charlotte metro area.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,212 times
Yes, Kings Mountain would be a good compromise if location to major shopping and restaurants is the key. It is a bit far (around 45 minutes) away from Cliffside, but it certainly has the advantage of being centrally located to the larger metro areas. Schools there are about the same as those in the Boiling Springs area - decent, performing about at the state average. Some really good elementary schools. The really crappy schools in Cleveland County are in Shelby.

SB295, you should get paid by Ingles for your support! They are nice stores, especially the ones in Kings Mountain and in Forest City.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK, I've said this before, Kings Mountain for housing, allowing for the fact that shopping is lacking in the town with the exception of the Ingles supermarket, Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies Rite Aid & CVS, you can get to any shopping that you want in 15 minutes (Shelby, or Gastonia), 20 minutes (Gaffney) or 30 to 40 minutes (South Charlottre or Hickory) Everyone who I have talked to, native or transplant, with kids currently in school, is satisfied with the schools. 74 & 85 both go through the town. Hospitals in Kings Mountain, Shelby or Gastonia, as well as Charlotte.

Contrary to what was said in yesterday's thread, here's a link to a search on Realtor.com for houses $200K & up. Kings Mountain, NC, Real Estate Listings and Kings Mountain Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com® There are housing developments.

Search for grocery threads on this board. Read the May 2009 Consumer Reports for supermarket ratings. Publix is not in the Charlotte metro area.
Not sure why you seem so defensive southbound - nobody said you couldn't get good groceries in Kings Mountain, lol!

The point is, the OP was talking about more than just grocery shopping. You may have missed her other thread, but she's coming from Orlando and wanted an area with the kind of amenities she has there, so all the areas closest to Cliffside are all going to be too small for her. I think based on all we told her she will look at Greenville, her best option within an hour of Cliffside.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...charlotte.html

Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Yes, Kings Mountain would be a good compromise if location to major shopping and restaurants is the key. It is a bit far (around 45 minutes) away from Cliffside, but it certainly has the advantage of being centrally located to the larger metro areas. Schools there are about the same as those in the Boiling Springs area - decent, performing about at the state average. Some really good elementary schools. The really crappy schools in Cleveland County are in Shelby.

SB295, you should get paid by Ingles for your support! They are nice stores, especially the ones in Kings Mountain and in Forest City.
Thanks, Comfort Food. That store in Kings Mountain is light years from the other options.

To my way of thinking, in her situation her 1st prioity is schools, then access to medical facilities, then a good supermarket. Good grief, Kings Mountain is lacking in shopping in the city & township. A lot of this is because of mill closures & the economy.

If I remember right, I think that you made a post in one of the grocery threads that Ingles was the closest thing to Publix.

I know I'd rather be close to a good supermarket & drive 15 minutes for the rest of my shopping, than the other way around.

You give great advice about this area. I don't know the area beyond Shelby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte