Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Addresses for all on this link:
http://www.visitmonroenc.org/restaurantlistings.html (broken link)
Thanks for that website address. We are always trying to find new places to try. Can't wait to try a few!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 03:49 PM

116 posts, read 422,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdei38 View Post
Okay, I'm going to visit my dad in NoVA on Monday.....I have a list of foods we must eat while we are there because these are foods I'm deprived of in Monroe, NC.

#1. An Italian Sub from the Herndon Deli.
There's a place in Herndon -- or is it Vienna, or both? -- I think it's called Anita's. Great Mexican food!

Quote:
#2. Popeyes Chicken. Popeyes could put Bojangles to shame....unfortunately they are strict with franchising...but I'm wearing them down.
I don't know about that. I love Bojangles, but I think Popeyes is nasty. When I was living in NoVA, I only went there when I had no other options. But whenever I visit NC, I always make sure I get over to Bojangles at least once.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:03 PM

70 posts, read 212,822 times
Default Okay, okay....I'm back...

I had the Herndon Deli Sub, yummmmm.......

and Popeyes...but due to my excitement of being at Popeyes....I ordered 24 pieces of chicken and 4 large sides for 2 adults and 3 kids... We knocked it down to only 10 pieces left...I was soooo lazy that night....(I still think Popeyes kicks Bojangles butt, but I won't voice it anywhere but here....ha..ha..I imagine I could be beat to death with Bojangles drumsticks if I said that one out loud )

I got the Subway seafood and crab sub up there...still good

Didn't get to Choke & Puke like I hoped, but I was glad to see another poster or two mention Knife and Fork and Jim and Judy's here....I've had my eye on these joints for a while and will probably visit them soon, just seeing someone else mention their name is a big push to stop in!!

And I didn't get Sheets food, BUT my dad went to Sheetz every morning and brought me back Caramel Mochas, Lattes....etc...Sheetz opened a coffee bar and charge less than 1/2 that coffee houses do....and it was good...

Oh I didn't get to SR Inn for the Prime Rib sandwich, but dad grilled Prime Rib on my last night there and I was all good....that man knows how to grill a good steak.

Okay w/in the next two weeks I will visit Jim and Judys and Knife and Fork....

I also have been to Hilltop, not since they renovated, but I'm sure they are still a great place to eat, I actually have eaten great at Hilltop...

Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default New and improved Hilltop...

Quote:
I also have been to Hilltop, not since they renovated, but I'm sure they are still a great place to eat, I actually have eaten great at Hilltop...
For those beach travelers or former Wingate College students who think you remember Hilltop Restaurant, you are gonna be in for a surprise when you see the new and improved version. They tore down the old building and put in a two-story brick complex with a fireplace, etc. I haven't been there to eat, but I'd imagine it's an improvement...

Old 04-26-2007, 11:56 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
I went to the Hilltop with a group of female friends several weeks back and the food was good, the service was excellent and the ambience was nice. I'll definitely return.

SL

Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 AM

36 posts, read 466,986 times
Default Don't forget the Crabs

Not only are there no Popeyes here....you can't find any crabhouses either...unless you go all the way to the coast above MB. Most of the Blue Crabs you get in VA on up the coast come out of the NC waters so you would think you could find restaurants all over that serve the hardshell suckers. NOT We can find crablegs everywhere but not one place to just sit down and pound the whatnot out of the little buggers. I so miss that. So.....whenever we travel back up into MD we also stock up on some of the fine cuisine you can't get down here. Big T's in Laurel that serves the best Roast Beef..REAL Roast Beef. They slice it from this huge piece of meat right in front of you...YUMMMMMM!! Then there's HardTimes Cafe where you can get the best chili: Cincinnati, Texas and a couple other choices. Can't even find a HardTimes Cafe here either. And of course there are no Popeyes. The closest one we've found is up 85 at the T&A truckstop. I've tried Bojangles but it is way too spicey. The closest fried chicken we've found to be better than Bojangles and could actually give Popeyes a good run is at the Golden Corral in Monroe. Who'd of thunk!? Whenever we get the urge for some good fried chicken that's where we go. Unfortunately their biscuits aren't Popeyes. Bojangles biscuits are just as good if not better than Popeyes. As for Mexican cuisine there is no place like La Unica (Old Charlotte Hwy in Indian Trails). Best I've ever had. Mama Lenas' in Waxhaw has my vote for best Italian (so far) but I haven't found a good Asian place yet.
Good luck with your grocery shopping and keep beggin Popeyes to come down here. It doesn't make any sense that they don't have any franchises here...they started in New Orleans...What's up with that?
Quote:
Okay, I'm going to visit my dad in NoVA on Monday.....I have a list of foods we must eat while we are there because these are foods I'm deprived of in Monroe, NC.

#1. An Italian Sub from the Herndon Deli.

#2. Popeyes Chicken. Popeyes could put Bojangles to shame....unfortunately they are strict with franchising...but I'm wearing them down.

#3. A Subway Seafood and Crab/Seafood Sensation sub.....okay Subway needs to get on the ball with this one..why is it when you cross into NC this particular sub has never been heard of.

#4 Breakfast at Yorkshire Rest. and Choke & Puke on 29....although rumor has it, it closed down....choke & puke was a joke name for 20 years in our family because the place looked awful but served yummy food....I gotta get up there and check things out....there's no way they could be closed....

#4. A Prime Rib sandwich from the South Riding Inn.

#5. A 7-11 Cheesburger Big Bite

#6. Anything from Sheetz. Petro better pray Sheetz doesn't look into this market...

Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
Dukes Rocks. I was born in Monroe but moved away a lot of years ago. I must have a burger from Dukes every time I am in Monroe.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Quote:

Yes Popeyes is definitely better than Bojanqles. Both have a stronq presence in Atlanta but I always ate Popeyes. I always see commercials here in Charlotte but have yet to come across one.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
#3. A Subway Seafood and Crab/Seafood Sensation sub.....okay Subway needs to get on the ball with this one..why is it when you cross into NC this particular sub has never been heard of.
Probably for the same reasoning that if you go to the Outback Steakhouse in Ohio they've never heard of lobsters as add-on mates to your steak. It could be a regional thing.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Sounds like you are missing your local greasy spoons and hang-outs. Thought I'd point out some of the Monroe local greasy spoons and hang-outs, should you ever develop a taste for our "regional" cuisine...LOL:

Monroe Restaurants
http://www.visitmonroenc.org/restaurantlistings.html (broken link)

Try these:

The Brown Derby (Skyway) - family-style
The Oasis (downtown) - hotdogs and politics (attorney hang-out)
Duke's Grill - burgers, southern style
Jud's - hotplate special (really greasy spoon)
Knife & Fork - breakfast
Hathaway's Fried Chicken - try the 'taters
Hilltop Bistro - newly renovated (Greek family style)
Capital City Bistro - downtown - this one is newer/nicer
Don't forget The Palace. Yes the place looks like a dump but the breakfast is great. Love the grits and homemade biscuits. Plus the coffee is also top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte