Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 14,786 times

Advertisements

Hi there. New to this forum and could use some more information. My husband and 2 kids live in the cold midwest. Very tired of staying inside 5-6 months of our lives. Our kids are in private schools but it is not necessary if the schools are good. I heard South Charlotte is great. Is that still correct. Also, we are looking at houses in price range of 450-650K and it seems Bridgehampton offers a lot of house/land for price. Is there something about Bridgehampton subdivision we don't know? We don't need to live on a golf course like at the Ballantyne Country Club, any advise would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM

15 posts, read 26,946 times
Bridgehampton is lovely and yes the schools are very good there as well. I can also recommend two other areas. You could go to Union County specifically Marvin/Waxhaw and find a house in your range with great schools. I live in Indianland part of Fort Mill. I have heard good things about the schools here as I have friends with kids in the schools and they moved here from New York. The taxes are cheaper and you could get alot of house for your money.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks for your input. I forgot to mention we'd like a quick commute to charlotte. No more than 15 minutes tops... It looks like Union County & Fort Mill are out a bit. I agree that you can get a lot of house for the money the further you are from Charlotte. We feel that way now where we live in WI compared to Bridgehampton. Our property taxes on a 389k house are 6200/yr versus a house in bridgehampton for 600 is 6200k.

Somehow, there's a way to make up the difference. Any insurances that are too high.. for vehicles, etc.. ?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Loves Charlotte View Post
Thanks for your input. I forgot to mention we'd like a quick commute to charlotte. No more than 15 minutes tops... It looks like Union County & Fort Mill are out a bit. I agree that you can get a lot of house for the money the further you are from Charlotte. We feel that way now where we live in WI compared to Bridgehampton. Our property taxes on a 389k house are 6200/yr versus a house in bridgehampton for 600 is 6200k.

Somehow, there's a way to make up the difference. Any insurances that are too high.. for vehicles, etc.. ?
By "quick commute to Charlotte" do you mean to uptown Charlotte itself, or just the Charlotte city limits??

Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM

What's important is to be part of the excitement but not on top of it. Not too far away to feel we're in a rural/country area but more in the suburbs with a quick jaunt in town to Charlotte and/or South Park. Elementary schools are very important. Not too far of a drive for that too.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:30 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
We considered Bridgehampton. You might also consider Brookhaven (same builder as Bridgehampton) might be slightly cheaper, newer development (90% built out) for same houses but close to Southpark, traffic to Brigehampton is a bear. Ammenities in Brookhaven much better. Schools very good (Weddington) and K-5 school (Antioch) is very good and you can walk to it. $600k house wuith taxes at $5000 (county/city).

Old 06-02-2009, 04:43 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Guess the question will be...where is your job located? That will help a lot.

Charlotte is really spread out; it is like a lot of suburbs that are all connected. Sometimes, the commute can be a bit crazy. Knowing where your job will be will help us direct you to the best area to start looking.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:02 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
Bridgehampton borders SC (parts of Bridgehampton are located in ft mill, sc) and will be perfect for your husbands commute to Downtown.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
Bridgehampton is a very nice community with great amenities. If your husband is community uptown during rush hour, though, will probably be 30 minute commute, closer to 20 minutes during off times.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Loves Charlotte View Post

Don't know what you currently pay to register cars (compared to some states our costs are higher). . . or if you pay personal property tax on cars . . . car insurance is higher here than in many places, but again . . . depends on what you pay now. Also, hidden taxes - such as w/ water and sewer rates.

You probably pay more for heating but here, we have to use A/C continually in summer and that much square footage, that will probably make your heating/cooling costs very similar to what you have now . . .

Gas is higher here than most states b/c our state tax is higher.

Food is probably about the same or higher than WI. My H's brother lives in Oconomowoc. They compared prices (everything from taxes, food, cars, home costs, utilities) b/n WI and NC and FL and found that FL was much the better "savings." They didn't see any savings w/ moving to NC overall, all things considered. But of course, every situation is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte