Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times

Advertisements

I've been to Charlotte, and actually lived there for 4 months with a couple of friends. I'm from San Diego, and Charlotte was a huge change culturally and physically. I couldn't believe how underdeveloped this city is, everything is so massively spread out and far away from each other, it also looks very country and rural looking compared to San Diego. Even the so called suburbs, are more like rural neighborhoods where homes are spread far apart and have huge lots. What is up with "No sidewalks" and lack of street lighting? Seriously I remember numerous of times I almost got hit by a car, because I had to walk narrowly on the side of the road because they were no sidewalks to walk on.

Charlotte is very sleepy and boring no offense, I like the downtown architecture, but the nightlife was severely lacking. The clubs sucked, and were all mostly country bars. I hate to upset Charlotte folks, but the Gaslamp district in downtown San Diego totally blows away Charlotte big time for nightlife entertainment and is probably one of the better downtown's for nightlife in the country which is jammed packed just about every weekend, plus San Diego is much more urban compared to Charlotte, and is not all filled with surfers and beach bums like many people think.

I didn't get a sense that I was in a big city either, or an urban city, maybe it's just the way the southern cities are built, Charlotte is not very dense at all, so this can lead to the lack of "urbaness" and energy. The homes BTW are beautiful, you can honestly purchase a White House design Mccmansion size of a home for way less than it would cost you for a mid size home here in SD ( which is way overpriced).

The transportation in Charlotte is okay, I was also suprised by the small sized freeways, a lot of 3 laners. When I was there back in 2005, they were barely expanding many highways to 4 laners, no wonder traffic can be bad at times, you guys need 6-7 laners like out here or even 10 depending on location.

I understand that Charlotte is a much smaller city compared to SD, so that's why I wont put it down. It's a nice place to live, but for a Californian, I don't think I could ever live there, the weather was horrible when I was staying in the summer time, the humidity and bugs is what drove me crazy! I couldn't stand it I don't like how the city is laid out, everything is so far away, and public transit is bad, you can't really walk anywhere either. The people were friendly though, and were not as backwards like how some Texans are. I appreciated the diversity, no one race dominated the other.

A good move if you have a family, but if you are young and single, I don't feel it's a place where young people will find themselves having a good time on a weekly basis. If you like rural living, peace and quiteness, lot's of open space, then Charlotte is the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:10 PM

569 posts, read 1,410,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I've been to Charlotte, and actually lived there for 4 months with a couple of friends. I'm from San Diego, and Charlotte was a huge change culturally and physically. I couldn't believe how underdeveloped this city is, everything is so massively spread out and far away from each other, it also looks very country and rural looking compared to San Diego. Even the so called suburbs, are more like rural neighborhoods where homes are spread far apart and have huge lots. What is up with "No sidewalks" and lack of street lighting? Seriously I remember numerous of times I almost got hit by a car, because I had to walk narrowly on the side of the road because they were no sidewalks to walk on.

Charlotte is very sleepy and boring no offense, I like the downtown architecture, but the nightlife was severely lacking. The clubs sucked, and were all mostly country bars. I hate to upset Charlotte folks, but the Gaslamp district in downtown San Diego totally blows away Charlotte big time for nightlife entertainment and is probably one of the better downtown's for nightlife in the country which is jammed packed just about every weekend, plus San Diego is much more urban compared to Charlotte, and is not all filled with surfers and beach bums like many people think.

I didn't get a sense that I was in a big city either, or an urban city, maybe it's just the way the southern cities are built, Charlotte is not very dense at all, so this can lead to the lack of "urbaness" and energy. The homes BTW are beautiful, you can honestly purchase a White House design Mccmansion size of a home for way less than it would cost you for a mid size home here in SD ( which is way overpriced).

The transportation in Charlotte is okay, I was also suprised by the small sized freeways, a lot of 3 laners. When I was there back in 2005, they were barely expanding many highways to 4 laners, no wonder traffic can be bad at times, you guys need 6-7 laners like out here or even 10 depending on location.

I understand that Charlotte is a much smaller city compared to SD, so that's why I wont put it down. It's a nice place to live, but for a Californian, I don't think I could ever live there, the weather was horrible when I was staying in the summer time, the humidity and bugs is what drove me crazy! I couldn't stand it I don't like how the city is laid out, everything is so far away, and public transit is bad, you can't really walk anywhere either. The people were friendly though, and were not as backwards like how some Texans are. I appreciated the diversity, no one race dominated the other.

A good move if you have a family, but if you are young and single, I don't feel it's a place where young people will find themselves having a good time on a weekly basis. If you like rural living, peace and quiteness, lot's of open space, then Charlotte is the place to be.

I am from CLT but my family lives in San Diego. I visit out there pretty often. Some of your points are valid and some are not. Yes we have lots of bugs here. You guys in SD have no bugs but lots of spiders ( go figure). Yes our roads here are lacking compared to SD. You guys always have nice sidewalks and highways out there. I am not much of a nightlife person any longer but I have been to the Gaslamp District and it was more developed than CLT nightlife. There are however many more clubs and bars here than just country. CLT is spead out but I do not believe it is any more spread out than SD. My family lives in North County and it is a good 1/2 hr drive to get down to the Gaslamp District. To answer your comment in regards to southern cities. "No, not all southern cities are built this way". Ever been to Atlanta? Every city is unique in its own way. It's what makes a city....well a city. You can't really compare Charlotte and San Diego. They are too different. It would be like trying to compare San Diego and San Francisco. Yes these are both in Cali, but they are completly different worlds. I can't speak much about the comment on Texans but I'm sure someone from Texas will probably chime in.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM

163 posts, read 474,871 times
And here I enter the conversation.

I don't know what you mean by "backwards", because I don't consider myself backwards at all. I have lived in cities in Texas and California, so I think I can accurately respond to the backwards comment. Do I think differently than most Californians, probably. Is there anything wrong with that, no. I would rather be open and friendly with people than make people feel like they have to "earn" my friendship. (which is what I experienced during the 5 years that I lived out there.)

I am from Texas and getting ready to move to Charlotte, by choice. We will arrive in the Queen City in about 18 days and we can't wait for the adventure!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenew View Post
And here I enter the conversation.

I don't know what you mean by "backwards", because I don't consider myself backwards at all. I have lived in cities in Texas and California, so I think I can accurately respond to the backwards comment.
To understand her better you need to read some of her prior posts.
Then break-out the pop corn for when the responses to her post from CLT people come in.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 PM

129 posts, read 404,239 times
The only good thing about California is the weather!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte