Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 PM

20 posts, read 50,914 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, i've been going to this website for over a year now and I think its finally time to post. Im going to be moving as early as next march so I have to start looking now. My parents are selling their home so I have to find a place of my own and I cannot afford to live anywhere on long island. My family is moving to florida but I am definitly not looking to move there either. I was in charlotte last year while visiting family. I wasnt looking at it at the time as a place to live but it did catch my eye. What would be some good areas to look at? I like having resturants and other things to do relativly close not only for entertainment but for also finding a job. Im 22, my girlfriends 19, we dont want to have to move again when we eventually have kids so no bad areas. I live on long island now and am surrounded by pretty bad areas and 99% of the people under 25 are addicted to heroin so I would definitly like to live in a little bit better of an area then i am now. Im going to head back down there in august to visit my grandpa in spindale so i'll check out these areas.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 AM

also I forgot to mention that i am looking for an appartment but would like to buy a house in 2 years. As of now my budget is about 900 for rent.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
Check out Uptown, South End, Dilworth, & Plaza Midwood. You might want to consider NODA, but it is still transitioning. $900 a month is pretty realistic you should be able to find something in that range. Rents have come down in the past couple years as sellers are renting because their homes are not selling.

Off Topic: Check out M2 while you are in Spindale, it is a great restaurant on Main St.!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,783 times
Belmont, small town, great restaurants, forward thinking...highly recommended.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Check out Uptown, South End, Dilworth, & Plaza Midwood. You might want to consider NODA, but it is still transitioning. $900 a month is pretty realistic you should be able to find something in that range. Rents have come down in the past couple years as sellers are renting because their homes are not selling.

Off Topic: Check out M2 while you are in Spindale, it is a great restaurant on Main St.!
I agree with this. Uptown may be out of your price range though.

Would you prefer more 'upscale' shops and food or more 'creative/alternative' type places?

Upscale would be Southpark, Dilworth, Uptown and maybe Southend

Creative/Alternative areas would be NODA (short for North Davidson) and Plaza Midwood areas. Maybe Southend also.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 AM

thats a great start, i've just looked up those areas on rent.com and I can find a great appartment in any of those areas for even cheaper then i was looking. I also got an insurance quote and it looks like i'll be able put full coverage on a new car too! Im paying 574$ a month just for basic liability, if i moved to charlotte i'd only have to pay $27 a month!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 AM

Alright so i just put in my vacation notice at work, im going to be in north carolina from the 8th of august to he 12th. I took down some addresses of appartment complexes so I can find my way to these areas without any problems.

Seems charlotte is MUCH larger then I originaly thought. I searched on google and found the charlottesgotalot website and could not believe everything I saw. Theres even a near by drag strip! I have to drive a few hours to get to the nearest track in new york. Im definitly liking more about it everyday.

I'll post some pictures when I get back. thanks!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
Glad to hear things are working out for ya. When you get here give us a shout and we can recommend restaurants etc. If you want to be near the new awesome drag strip, which BTW is right beside the big Lowe's Motor Speedway, look at the University area, or Concord/Kannapolis. LOTS of restaurants and suburban sprawl, malls, stuff. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 AM

518 posts, read 2,061,058 times
Harrisburg is very nice also, and near the Z-Max Drag Strip on Speedway Blvd (oh that's right they changed it to Bruton Smith Blvd

Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Great that it looks good for you but what about a job? As someone local has said, Charlotte's job market "sucks - out loud."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte