Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:56 PM

298 posts, read 565,432 times

Advertisements

Looking at Monroe NC (specifically the Southwinds CPMorgan development). Looking at Fort Mill (more $$) and anywhere south Charlotte (husband's job is in Ballantyne) but don't want to spend more than 180k on a house. He is professional, I am finishing a MsEd, we have 3 young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfnme View Post
Looking at Monroe NC (specifically the Southwinds CPMorgan development). Looking at Fort Mill (more $$) and anywhere south Charlotte (husband's job is in Ballantyne) but don't want to spend more than 180k on a house. He is professional, I am finishing a MsEd, we have 3 young kids.
Do a search on Monre and CP Morgan. Both topics have been discussed here endlessly and there are some fairly recent posts on both subjects. That said, Monroe doesn't rank high on the list amongst transplants. IT, Waxhaw and Weddington seem to hold more appeal to many. However, we moved to Monroe from Jersey and love it. However, I don't love Southwinds. Too many reasons why I don't find it appealing and my guess is if you had more insight, you might not be interested either (but again, I am making an assumption). Of course I don't know your personal situation but research extensively before making a decision.

Other than that, if you like the Monroe area, there are offerings in your price range that are nice. Are you working with a Realtor yet?

May I ask where you're completing your MsEd?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM

17 posts, read 82,791 times
Don't relocate to Monroe. I don't even live in Charlotte yet and know to steer clear of Monroe. My wife and I drove through there looking for houses in Union County and quickly decided that while some parts of Union County were okay to live in, the area in and around Monroe was not. For just under 200k you can find better options in and around Charlottle than Monroe.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
Don't relocate to Monroe. I don't even live in Charlotte yet and know to steer clear of Monroe. My wife and I drove through there looking for houses in Union County and quickly decided that while some parts of Union County were okay to live in, the area in and around Monroe was not. For just under 200k you can find better options in and around Charlottle than Monroe.
WOW ... an entire city and areas surrounding it uninhabitable? I don't think so.

Like I said, Monroe has some beautiful countryside, nice homes and good people. Perhaps you were looking in the wrong places. The funny thing is when I speak to Monroe natives, they are shocked to hear how "down" transplants are on their hometown. Monroe has no pretense about it, development has been slower and I suspect it's simply not trendy enough for most transplants.

SL

Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
WOW ... an entire city and areas surrounding it uninhabitable? I don't think so.

Like I said, Monroe has some beautiful countryside, nice homes and good people. Perhaps you were looking in the wrong places. The funny thing is when I speak to Monroe natives, they are shocked to hear how "down" transplants are on their hometown. Monroe has no pretense about it, development has been slower and I suspect it's simply not trendy enough for most transplants.

SL

And I think the locals hope to keep it that way

Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,322,293 times
Another thread that explores Monroe....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ut-monroe.html

Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I live in Indian Trail and I venture in to Monroe on occasion. I don't care for Monroe....the "main drag" down 74 is a very depressing place. Most of the area looks like it saw its "heyday" back in the early 80s. The world's tiniest mall is there. So is the world's smallest movie theater LOL. The area seems to be very economically depressed. Look at the demographics.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Monroe...-Carolina.html
That being said....Union County is a strange place. There isn't much here besides farmland, subdivisions, and the occasional strip mall. Monroe probably has more commercial areas than most of Union County.
I wouldn't want to live in Monroe, but that's JMHO. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 AM

83 posts, read 399,403 times
We lived in Monroe for a year and half and did not like it at all. We're now getting a house built close to Ballantyne (about 10-15 minutes) in Indian Land, SC in the Legacy Park subdivision. You may want to check out Indian Land because it's not too expensive now, but that will rapidly change, as the area is developing pretty quickly.

saralee said about Monroe "...I suspect it's simply not trendy enough for most transplants," and that's how we felt about it (we moved from Connecticut). It is simply too quiet and doesn't have the nice upscale shopping, restaurants, etc. that we love to frequent.

If you like VERY quiet towns and don't mind driving a bit to get to more developed areas and shopping and what not, then Monroe is for you. Also, if you decide on Monroe make sure your kids are zoned for Porter Ridge, Parkwood, or Sun Valley schools.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 AM

396 posts, read 1,631,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post

I'd say the second sentence says it all!! Until you've lived here say...more than a month...please don't criticize and presume that you "know" all there is to know about this charming little town. No...it is not Ballantyne. Thank God for that....as one is enough. What you will find in Monroe is much more diversity than in some other little towns. We live in Weddington/Wesley Chapel where everyone pretty much has the same income, drives the same foreign SUV and has had the same plastic surgery . (Don't send me hate mail. I read that in another thread about Ballantyne and it reminded me of Weddington.) It's really not that bad, but there certainly aren't a lot of lower income families or minorities here. Not good or bad....just an observation.
Monroe has several different sections to it. Yes, there is ugly Hwy 74 that is a nightmare, but once you get off of that it's filled with quaint neighborhoods and seriously the nicest, most welcoming locals that I have found since we transplanted here. I love historic Monroe. The houses are beautiful and the people that live in them are always willing to share a story about their house.
Monroe is a place where you will have to do your homework, but I think it will be worth the effort. There are pockets of yuck....but really you can find that anywhere. Good luck to you in your search.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,936 times
Not sure on the actual Southwinds community, but I live across the way in Lexington Commons which is the sub at the end of the road across from Walter Bickett. We are coming from Long Island, and we love the area and our little slice of Monroe. It's very quiet and everyone is very friendly. The few times we have stayed at the house(Have not moved yet) and have gone out for walks and jogs everyone waves, stops you to start a conversation and so on. All of our neighbors are great. It is a very mixed area as most of Monroe is so if living in a very diverse area among a melting pot of different races does not bother you than I am sure you will enjoy living there and love it too. Keep in mind that Monroe is a rather old city so on the exterior it does not have that squeeky clean look, like some of the newer more recently developed areas. I really like the fact that the area has not become overly developed like other parts of Charlotte, so you still have that country feel depending on which way you pull out of the sub. I'm sure over time that will change. Another thing you should be aware of in that subdivision is you will here the CSX trains from time to time as the train tracks run along 75. Again, we may be weird but we feel it adds to that country charm, but you will hear them a few times a day so if it's something that may bother you than it may be a bad spot to build your new home. Good luck and maybe we'll see you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte