Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times

Advertisements

I read alot of news on internet MSN, CNN, Bloomberg and a couple of out of town newspapers and Observer. I'm working out at Y and switching thru 4 TVs and listen to Fox and see town hall rallys including about 8-10,000 in Ohio rallying about Healthcare. I also see the Senator from PA (can't remember name) that was a Dem switched to Rep and went back to Dem. He is getting reamed by some citizens. I also heard how the current administration strong armed the TV stations to broadcast his press conference on Healthcare, amazing. I will say this about Fox, at least do report the news. I do think there is a grassroots revolution development going on and we are losing our freedoms and the liberal media is trying to supress what REALLY is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I hate Fox's sensationalism with a passion but you are right, at least they report stories. The "state run media" as someone I know likes to call it that is CNN, MSNBC, etc. are very in love with Obama.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM

494 posts, read 1,348,879 times
You are right...lots of news being surpressed these days. My Husband grew up in a Communist country and is very troubled and what is happening to our media. I am thankful for talk radio and Fox these days! You must be careful...especially w/ all the channels owned by NBC since GE stands to profit a lot w/ National Healthcare and the new healthcare "on-line" system.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
The first I heard about the Charlotte health reform rally was when I got a call about it today. Had not seen anything about it on TV.

I don't know if it is suppression of news so much as simply the managing editor's decision as to what viewers will find important. I often wonder, tho.

What gets me is all the coverage on silly topics like Michael Jackson's mother getting custody of his kids, rather than addressing the really big issues we have on the table right now - healthcare reform and cap & trade legislation. Instead, we are bombarded w/ MJ and the never-ending beerfest b/n Gates and the Prez.

Locally, I feel we could use a lot more in depth interviews w/ county commissioners and city councilmen than the type of junk we often get. Every evening, my hubby says - well let's see who shot whom today. In the morning he says, well, let's see who shot whom last nite. I guess it is just easier to report on crime blotters than actually research and do a real story that might have some meaning to Charlotte residents, i.e. taxes and budget, city planning, new regs, etc.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
yes, you're right. all the liberal media outlets suppress the news, and all of the conservative ones report it like it is! Unless you're a liberal, then it's the other way around.

Go to the political board instead of trying to stir up a bunch of lunatics here.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:05 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The first I heard about the Charlotte health reform rally was when I got a call about it today. Had not seen anything about it on TV.

I don't know if it is suppression of news so much as simply the managing editor's decision as to what viewers will find important. I often wonder, tho.

What gets me is all the coverage on silly topics like Michael Jackson's mother getting custody of his kids, rather than addressing the really big issues we have on the table right now - healthcare reform and cap & trade legislation. Instead, we are bombarded w/ MJ and the never-ending beerfest b/n Gates and the Prez.

Locally, I feel we could use a lot more in depth interviews w/ county commissioners and city councilmen than the type of junk we often get. Every evening, my hubby says - well let's see who shot whom today. In the morning he says, well, let's see who shot whom last nite. I guess it is just easier to report on crime blotters than actually research and do a real story that might have some meaning to Charlotte residents, i.e. taxes and budget, city planning, new regs, etc.
Bingo....though from the sound of it, the Cap and Tax legislation as it is will not pass the Senate...I think too many Dem senators from states with larger manufacturing or mining bases know it will hurt them disproportionately...

Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Bingo....though from the sound of it, the Cap and Tax legislation as it is will not pass the Senate...I think too many Dem senators from states with larger manufacturing or mining bases know it will hurt them disproportionately...
It is such a shame that our local media don't discuss these issues and how they would affect us here in Charlotte! I feel there is a lot of wasted air time on meaningless junk when we really do have folks here who would appreciate a good, solid news broadcast. Wasted opportunity.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Corporate media will always be tainted because they answer to shareholders and they make their money through advertising... The conflict of interest is mind boggling.

Conspiracy theories aside (like the White House actually tells them what to report), it's all directed towards something. Every single news outlet from the daily blogger on bubba.com to CNN has an agenda. Some transparent, some not so much. Either way, you have to take what is being presented to you with this in mind... What's worse is that it's beyond the "story" - hell, the same story could be "reported" in so many different ways that even that is tainted. It's just simply an entertainment industry.

The only outlet close to being ideal is something like wikipedia - information managed and policed by the people. Wiki is not dynamic and real time as watching breaking news on TV... and it's certainly not perfect, but it's closer to a true voice then any corporate media outlet. BTW, I always loved the people who prefer FOXNEWS and talk out against wikis... It's like they don't really understand how to think for themselves and need FOXNEWS to tell them how to feel. In case you can't tell, I think FOX is the worst gutter of dispensed information ever created.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM

160 posts, read 401,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I will say this about Fox, at least do report the news.
are you serious? that's the feeling you get when you watch fox?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
are you serious? that's the feeling you get when you watch fox?
Just curious. What feeling do you get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte