Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

Loitering could include a parent watching their kids in a playground. Or grannies sitting on a park bench enjoying the good weather and fresh air. Can't have those crimes being committed, esp not where a tourist might see them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
OK. I think I may have seen what OP sees. But only on the block of Tryon between 8th and 7th today. It appears that some older folks do indeed make the benches a hangout of sorts. Near Hall House senior housing project. I walked by there at 10 am and came back at 3 and they were still there. But, all of them appear to be up there in years, and if that's what they want to spend their day doing, more power to them.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
OK. I think I may have seen what OP sees. But only on the block of Tryon between 8th and 7th today. It appears that some older folks do indeed make the benches a hangout of sorts. Near Hall House senior housing project. I walked by there at 10 am and came back at 3 and they were still there. But, all of them appear to be up there in years, and if that's what they want to spend their day doing, more power to them.
But that sounds so miserable - out in the heat.

I get really down about these types of situations - folks with no real place to go, no social interaction other than sitting on a bench and watching others. And in this heat - that just can't be good.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Our rescue kicks people out all day, even in the snow and frigid weather - equivalent to your heat in that sense of being inhumane. You have to have a "medical bed" to not get kicked out. Those have to be ordered by the social worker who sent you there.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Quote:
That's the area where I've seen people also.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Loitering could include a parent watching their kids in a playground. Or grannies sitting on a park bench enjoying the good weather and fresh air. Can't have those crimes being committed, esp not where a tourist might see them!
I can't say that I have seen parents downtown watching their kids in a playground or grannies sitting on a downtown bench enjoying the weather. They can't, the benches are full of bums. You don't have to be a tourist to notice who occupies the downtown benches.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I can't say that I have seen parents downtown watching their kids in a playground or grannies sitting on a downtown bench enjoying the weather. They can't, the benches are full of bums. You don't have to be a tourist to notice who occupies the downtown benches.
VIN: are these elderly folks, drunks, druggies? What kind of people are sitting there? I am very curious. I figure anyone who could get a job would prefer working to sitting out on a bench all day. So that makes me think they must be into substance abuse, or be elderly or be mentally ill and psychotic.

I would go to a library and hang out all day b/f I would sit out in the heat.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Vin: That's BS. A few, yes. But there are always open ones available for anyone. And I see all types on them, waiting for the Gold Rush, eating lunch or taking a break from walking. Give us a break with the sweeping generalizations.

Ani, I am not sure why those elderly folks were out there. Hall House used to have senior housing, but I don't think they do anymore. I know that part of town is close to the county services building on 11th and Tryon, and relatively close to the homeless shelter up Tryon. I imagine it would be pleasant on nice days, but I do wonder what they were doing there in the heat. A lot of them do hang out in the library, too. And on the block of Trade between College and Tryon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post

Old 08-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Vin: That's BS. A few, yes. But there are always open ones available for anyone. And I see all types on them, waiting for the Gold Rush, eating lunch or taking a break from walking. Give us a break with the sweeping generalizations.

Ani, I am not sure why those elderly folks were out there. Hall House used to have senior housing, but I don't think they do anymore. I know that part of town is close to the county services building on 11th and Tryon, and relatively close to the homeless shelter up Tryon. I imagine it would be pleasant on nice days, but I do wonder what they were doing there in the heat. A lot of them do hang out in the library, too. And on the block of Trade between College and Tryon.
Well, it is just hard for me to think about elderly people having nowhere to go and staying out in this heat. Now, today it is not as hot but it has been dribbling rain off and on here at my house.

It just makes me wonder where the homeless have to go during the day. Seems we ought to have some kind of building where folks could go. What are they doing with Eastland Mall? Why couldn't that be designated as a homeless shelter and put a soup kitchen in there . . . and even a job training center. Just turn it over to the Salvation Army!!!

The thoughts of people being out in the cold or heat and nowhere to call their own . . . upsetting. Looks like we could figure out better ways to handle societal issues like this.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Your a good soul Ani. Seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, it is just hard for me to think about elderly people having nowhere to go and staying out in this heat. Now, today it is not as hot but it has been dribbling rain off and on here at my house.

It just makes me wonder where the homeless have to go during the day. Seems we ought to have some kind of building where folks could go. What are they doing with Eastland Mall? Why couldn't that be designated as a homeless shelter and put a soup kitchen in there . . . and even a job training center. Just turn it over to the Salvation Army!!!

The thoughts of people being out in the cold or heat and nowhere to call their own . . . upsetting. Looks like we could figure out better ways to handle societal issues like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte