Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 9,992 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to relocate to Charlotte from NY's one bedroom apartment. At the same time, we are concerned about the actual move as the distance is about 630 miles (~12 hours drive). Plus, we have never relocated. Therefore, we are trying to plan ahead the best strategy for this movement and below are listed some potential questions we are trying to answer before our move:

1. Should we leave NY in the morning around 8.00am?
(In my opinion, if we do, we will arrive to Charlotte during late hours - probably around 8.00pm/10pm - which might be inappropriate for moving in)

OR

2. Should we leave NY at night (around 1.00am) and arrive to Charlotte in the afternoon?
(I believe that the problem with this approach is the Penske truck rental service is open from 7.00am…)

OR

3. Should we rather leave NY two days earlier (let's say at 8.00am) and stop for a one night rest (lodging), then continue the next day and arrive in the early afternoon on the desired date?

Which approach would be best to execute and how should we coordinate truck rental service with timing constraints? We appreciate your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
I do the Cleveland to Charlotte drive several times a year (500 miles). I like to leave really early, like 6am.

I don't think 600 miles will take you 12 hours either? It usually takes me 8 or 9 tops for 500 miles.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Two weeks ago we left Charlotte at 8 pm and watched the sunrise at Coney Island in Brooklyn.

Surely should not take 12 hrs to NYC, I can get to Maine in 13 and change.
Drive at night, it's much easier.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times
Find out from Penske how long you can have your truck. If you can have it more than one day, it might be worth the cost. This way, you will have time to pack it and hit the road without worrying about returning it as soon as you arrive in Charlotte.

Also, if you aren't used to driving a large vehicle like a moving van, you may get tired easily and wish to stop 1/2 way through.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,589 times
The wife and I took 2 days to drive from the DC area. We packed up on a Wednesday and left at about 6pm. We got to the Raleigh area around 10pm and rented a hotel. We then drove the rest of the way to Charlotte. It took us around 8 hours to get from the DC area to Charlotte with our Uhaul. I was towing my car so I didnt go over 65mph. We had a little traffic in the DC area but it wasn't bad. You probably want to leave so you dont hit any traffic in any of the cities you'll drive through. We were renting an apartment and the place is not open 24 hours so we decided to do it over 2 days instead of trying to rush. I also did not want to drive at night with the Uhaul. We did leave later than we expected but that was because it took us alot longer to load the Uhaul than we though.

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 9,992 times
It took us approx. 12 hours to get from New York suburbs to Charlotte during the finding apartment 4-day trip as we were stopping at rest areas quite often (every ~100miles, same goes for the returning trip).

Usually, I have no problem with driving, but I noticed I felt extremely weak and overwhelmed when we arrived to Charlotte and when we came back to New York area.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times
If that's the case, then I vote for Option #3. Better to be safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxon240 View Post
Usually, I have no problem with driving, but I noticed I felt extremely weak and overwhelmed when we arrived to Charlotte and when we came back to New York area.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
If that's the case, then I vote for Option #3. Better to be safe than sorry!
Yeah, I only stop once for gas and to go to the bathroom. If I didn't need to do that I'd drive straight thru, driving doesn't bother me at all. Lol. I shoulda been a trucker!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Yeah, I only stop once for gas and to go to the bathroom. If I didn't need to do that I'd drive straight thru, driving doesn't bother me at all. Lol. I shoulda been a trucker!
+1 LoL!

I drove from Maine to CLT Friday night and I'm the only one that ever got out of the car, and that was just to fill the tank.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 AM

146 posts, read 474,278 times
If you have kids, i may suggest option #3 is the best. Two days is really easy. We travel up and down the coast to NJ several times a year. I think the hardest part of your drive is timing your way through/around NJ/DC and Baltimore so you avoid the rush hours there. Not sure where in NY you are coming from, but I recommend getting on I-78 West in NJ and following I-81 down to NC. Avoids alot of tolls and traffic areas and it is a scenic drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte