Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Ok I'm quoting myself to update, I just received another offer. This was a direct hire I found on careerbuilder. Very very nice people but holy cow they put me through the ringer. Faxed my resume and then they wanted me to do a questionaire and then an interview with like 5 pages front anf back of questions and then go back again and do it with 2 more people. I'm exhausted but it worked out. A dollar less an hour than Phx but a chance to for a raise and advacement. It's a wonderful company and they are lovely people so I'm excited. I was over paid in Phx based on their own stats so it's ok.

Stuff is out there so go get it! I start in 2 weeks so after that I won't be able to post as much Some may like that
Congrats to you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 AM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
GE has the worse interviews, I think they go through 4 or 5.

I know the market is very competitive here. For recent grads, it's harder to land that textbook job. You really have to prove yourself and most jobs are mass jobs that offer a foot in the door, while you search for your true calling.

I work in a center which has a diverse pool from GED's to MBA's most people have to start out the same level and move once they prove themselves.

I came from NY in the 90's with no job and had 4 offer's the first week. Ofcourse, you have to have the in demand skills that are sought after. There are so many companies here and in SC, but sometimes the commute is the price you pay for your job. Being here as long as I've been I'm pretty established, when I looked to move back to NY I would have been competing with MBA's without work experience.

There are many good paying jobs and many not so good paying jobs, like daycare centers.

I advise learn your market, NETWORK as much as you can, and go forward.
I would NEVER move to Charlotte without a job lined up the market has changed too much and it's very expensive for housing.

Good Luck. They always need teachers and the pay is pretty good, considering the Northern Teaching jobs are all full and hiring is at a minimum.

XNYgirl

Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCharlotte View Post
My husband requested to be transferred here from NY. His pay was supposed to decrease, but once we got here, his new manager was impressed with him and kept his pay the same as in NY. We have been here 7 months and he got a raise last week as well. As for me-I got a retail job right off the bat just for something! It provided an income and the freedom to continue to search and interview (flexible retail hours!)
Found the job I have in administration right before Christmas and have been EXTREMELY happy. Kept the retail job part time and now we are making more then in NY. Our experience in not common I know!

The jobs are out there, you just have to search!!!

That's great!! See if he never excepted the lower pay to begin with he wouldn't have been in that position he is now. Sometimes you nevrr know.I turned down my transfer not only because of the lower pay but I didn't want to drive to FT. Mill everyday and I'm a lake dweller so I wasn't going to change my living location.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:08 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
GE has the worse interviews, I think they go through 4 or 5.

I know the market is very competitive here. For recent grads, it's harder to land that textbook job. You really have to prove yourself and most jobs are mass jobs that offer a foot in the door, while you search for your true calling.

I work in a center which has a diverse pool from GED's to MBA's most people have to start out the same level and move once they prove themselves.

I came from NY in the 90's with no job and had 4 offer's the first week. Ofcourse, you have to have the in demand skills that are sought after. There are so many companies here and in SC, but sometimes the commute is the price you pay for your job. Being here as long as I've been I'm pretty established, when I looked to move back to NY I would have been competing with MBA's without work experience.

There are many good paying jobs and many not so good paying jobs, like daycare centers.

I advise learn your market, NETWORK as much as you can, and go forward.
I would NEVER move to Charlotte without a job lined up the market has changed too much and it's very expensive for housing.

Good Luck. They always need teachers and the pay is pretty good, considering the Northern Teaching jobs are all full and hiring is at a minimum.

XNYgirl

It takes time to get established when you move to a new city. It's like we all have to prove ourselves all over again.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,492 times
Default Many jobs in the Charlotte area

It's comes down to the very basics....Supply and Demand (and that's with any job market). People have to realize that when relocating, you need to match your skill set to the job market. Charlotte has many professional jobs and I know of many people that make over $75k, You just have to have the skills that companies need.

I get calls all the time from head hunters, trying to recruit me.

PS. I'm in IT

Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 AM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
I hope you guys are right about litigation being hot -- I'm a court reporter!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,750 times
Hey- I'm from the DC area (technically, Northern VA) too..what a coincidence; Found another DC'er!

Anyway..I, too, am in the IT field.. I anybody knows, how easy is it to find an IT job, a lot of competition? I have been looking for about 5-6 mos. now.. I have posted my resume in CharlotteHelpWanted.Com..

If anybody has any other tips about finding IT jobs, pls let me know.!

Thanks,
JC

Old 05-06-2007, 09:26 PM

138 posts, read 412,884 times
I am a litigation attorney from New York. My application for admission to the North Carolina State Bar is pending. My Friend just recently got sworn in and he fully submitted his application 11 1/2 mos ago! As it looks now, I will not get admitted for about one year! I didn't exactly plan on it being that long as I was told abot 6 months was normal. Anybody have any suggestions? Maybe a litigation support position for now. Anyone? Help?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:16 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Litigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I hope you guys are right about litigation being hot -- I'm a court reporter!
I went to the training seminar sponsored by the TCA for paralegals at the courthouse. One of the girls that I work with knew a clerk and we got to see her courtroom. They have machines that record the proceedings and do not use court reporters in district court. That is not good for your profession.

I do know a girl in our neighborhood (Rosedale) that found a court reporter job. If I see her, I'll see what I can find out.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston2Charlotte View Post
It's comes down to the very basics....Supply and Demand (and that's with any job market). People have to realize that when relocating, you need to match your skill set to the job market. Charlotte has many professional jobs and I know of many people that make over $75k, You just have to have the skills that companies need.

I get calls all the time from head hunters, trying to recruit me.

PS. I'm in IT
Boston I agree it does come down to supply and demand. Charlotte has some jobs (lots in retail) that pay well. The competition is tuff not only between applicants but also recruiters and applicants. I have companies/recruiters cold calling me all the time. I had to pull back my receptionist log book to prevent cold calling recuiters from interfering with potential recruits. One head hunter called me and my recruite, who sent me a resume after speaking with a friend, trying to take a piece of pie. I still joke with my employee about it. I have heard Manpower Technical/Computer Science is very agressive in trying to corner jobs for their applicants by pushing away clients they do not represent. There is also alot of misrepresentation by recruiters to place clients they want to place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte