Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 09:04 AM

79 posts, read 344,102 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain the vehicle registration requirements when towing? I have a 5000 lb. pickup truck registered as a non-commercial vehicle with a stated gross weight of 6000 lbs (I believe this is the max for non-commercial vehicles). Does this mean I can only carry or tow 1000 lbs.? I frequently tow a boat which has a combined boat/trailer weight of 3000 lbs., so am I overweight when towing? And with just 1000 lb difference in gorss and vehicle weight I may be overweight sometine with just cargo and passengers!

For this situation, if I need to declare the gross weight of the truck as 9000 lbs. do I need to register as a commercial vehicle? If so what are the fees? The DMV web site does not provide feees for commercial vehicles and only gives a number to call. I don't see why these fees are such a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 PM

26 posts, read 78,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejersey3 View Post
Can anyone explain the vehicle registration requirements when towing? I have a 5000 lb. pickup truck registered as a non-commercial vehicle with a stated gross weight of 6000 lbs (I believe this is the max for non-commercial vehicles). Does this mean I can only carry or tow 1000 lbs.? I frequently tow a boat which has a combined boat/trailer weight of 3000 lbs., so am I overweight when towing? And with just 1000 lb difference in gorss and vehicle weight I may be overweight sometine with just cargo and passengers!

For this situation, if I need to declare the gross weight of the truck as 9000 lbs. do I need to register as a commercial vehicle? If so what are the fees? The DMV web site does not provide feees for commercial vehicles and only gives a number to call. I don't see why these fees are such a secret.
You should go ahead and get register for 9k, although you do not have to declare as commercial. It will increase the cost of renewing your tags every year and you will get a "weighted" tag. Your tag has to cover the combind weight of everything...truck, trailer, boat. You absolutely do not want to get caught towing overweight as the fine is like $1000.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 AM

I bit the bullet and called DMV today. Surprisingly they advised that per GS20-88 a non-commercial truck (weighted under 6000 lbs) does NOT need a weighted tag/registration for towing a trailer/boat or RV. If the tow vehicle is over 6000 lbs or commercial it would have to carry a weighted tag (which covers the weight of tow vehicle, trailer, cargo, etc).

Not sure if the statute applies if the towed vehicle is something other than a boat/trailer or RV.

They also said summons are still improperly written for this, and you should cite the statute to get the ticket declared invalid.

I'll bet a lot of people are not aware of this.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM

146 posts, read 474,425 times
so then according to what they told you, if the TV GVWR is greater than 6000 lbs and I tow an rv I need to get weighted tags?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM

I researched NC GS20-88 some more on the web; does not read quite as I was told but the effect is the same. The key phrase is property carrying vehicle; a truck or SUV in non-commercial use is NOT considered a property carrying vehicle. At least that is someones interpretation.

I can see this going either way depending on which way the wind blows. Fortunately summons for overweight vehicles towing a boat are the exception (I think). My experience is they concentrate on the suspected overloaded semis and dump trucks more.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on08 View Post
so then according to what they told you, if the TV GVWR is greater than 6000 lbs and I tow an rv I need to get weighted tags?
I think the agent I spoke to was citing some specific cases involving boat trailers and RVs. Since you can get non-commercial tags only up to 6000 lbs, a tow vehicle over that weight may be considered commercial and the weighted tag/registration then apply.

Read the attached link, how would you interpret

Explaining North Carolina boat towing laws | StarNewsOnline.com | Star News | Wilmington, NC

Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM

Ok now I'm wondering if I was given wrong info by DMV. On my registration I see my Silverado pickup classified as "private/property carrying". The other vehicle in my household, a minivan, is classified as private/passenger carrying". So the truck, as a property carrying vehicle, MAY be subject to the weighted tag/registration according to the statute.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
I have a Ford F250 with a 254 (I believe) horsepower.I am not sure if I need to worry about hauling my boat or not? What size of truck do you own. Well, actually I do need to worry as I dont have a tag on my trailer. Long story.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I have a Ford F250 with a 254 (I believe) horsepower.I am not sure if I need to worry about hauling my boat or not? What size of truck do you own. Well, actually I do need to worry as I dont have a tag on my trailer. Long story.
I have a Silverado 1500 2WD which weighs about 5000 lbs, and I'm towing an 18' boat on a single-axle trailer. GS20-88 (see excerpt below) says you can be up to 9000 lb total truck, trailer, cargo and not need the weighted commercial tag. So I think I may be covered. But some trucks themselves (maybe an F250) weigh over 6000 lbs (the highest weight non-commercial tag you can get), and many boat/trailer combos easily weigh over 3000 lbs. As I read it over 9000 lbs total you need the weighted commercial tag.

Yeah I towed my boat for 2 months with no trailer tag and never an issue, but I probably never had a state trooper or DMV officer driving behind me.

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4][LEFT]Determination of Weight. – For the purpose of licensing, the weight of
self-propelled property-carrying vehicles shall be the empty weight and heaviest load to
be transported, as declared by the owner or operator; provided, that any determination
of weight shall be made only in units of 1,000 pounds or major fraction thereof, weights
of over 500 pounds counted as 1,000 and weights of 500 pounds or less disregarded.
The declared gross weight of self-propelled property-carrying vehicles operated in
conjunction with trailers or semitrailers shall include the empty weight of the vehicles to
be operated in the combination and the heaviest load to be transported by such
combination at any time during the registration period, except that the gross weight of a
trailer or semitrailer is not required to be included when the operation is to be in
conjunction with a self-propelled property-carrying vehicle which is licensed for 6,000
pounds or less gross weight and the gross weight of such combination does not exceed
9,000 pounds, except wreckers as defined under G.S. 20-4.01(50). Those
property-hauling vehicles registered for 4,000 pounds shall be permitted a tolerance of
500 pounds above the weight permitted under the table of weights and rates appearing
in subsection (b) of this section.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte