Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM

105 posts, read 201,508 times

Advertisements

It is interesting how people think this can't happen.
1. Government take over Banks.
2. Government take over Car industry
3. Government Wants to take over your health Care (Walter Reed lest not forget)
4. Katrina
See a pattern here. Especially with a lot of homes going in forclosure.
Un Huh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomlibertarian View Post
It is interesting how people think this can't happen.
1. Government take over Banks.
2. Government take over Car industry
3. Government Wants to take over your health Care (Walter Reed lest not forget)
4. Katrina
See a pattern here. Especially with a lot of homes going in forclosure.
Un Huh
Again, what part of my earlier statement didn't you understand when I said it was a CHOICE for me to live in an HOA development? I didn't have a CHOICE w/the government taking over the auto industry....

Jeez, please compare apples to apples, not apples to cantalopes...

Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,202 times
The government in NC mandates that new neighborhoods have HOAs.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
What?!?! Link to the law please.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
What?!?! Link to the law please.
I think it's this link:

Chapter 47F

I pulled this up from an old thread. I tried to skim through it. I didn't fully understand what was written though.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 PM

105 posts, read 201,508 times
I guess this said my point, government on HOA's.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am confused...if you don't live in an HOA neighborhood what do you have to complain about???

Some people live to complain.

For the record, I like HOA's, but I hate them too

Old 09-29-2009, 04:13 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
Reminiscent of the movie 'The Colony'.
I've heard the one in Highland Creek is like an Imperial Senate.
Could be mistaken , but it seems to be dwindling down to fewer and fewer making 'rules' either based upon needs or personal gripes.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:48 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Exactly. It's only a matter of time before nearly everyone has to live under an HOA.

I've already had a legal battle with an HOA in my previous "home town." It was very, very stressful as I was receiving threats from the HOA board and attorneys about liens, fines, etc.

It was absolutely insane: We had the most expensive house in the neighborhood. We had one of the nicest landscaped lawns and it always looked perfect. We had no pets. No children. We weren't loud. In fact, we were are both young professionals who were rarely home! We had nice, late model cars (no rust buckets in the driveway or garage.)

So what was the problem? Jealousy! My wife and I had the most expensive house in the neighborhood and we were in our mid-20s at the time. Both of us have master's degrees. The HOA board was a bunch of grumpy retirement or near retirement age blue collar types who'd saved for decades to be able to afford a home in this neighborhood. They simply resented that we could easily afford such a home at a young age. They basically invented rules to make trouble for us. Of course, they weren't universally enforced and many people got to do whatever the hell they wanted.

Needless to say, we won without an attorney due to countless hours of legal research on our parts. I pretty much had to give up my free time for a period of months to win this thing. I could have hired an attorney, but then I'd have wanted to sue for fees afterwords and it would have become a bigger mess.

Anyway, I'll never live in an HOA again. Stories like mine are simply too common.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:14 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I think it's this link:

Chapter 47F

I pulled this up from an old thread. I tried to skim through it. I didn't fully understand what was written though.
True, it's difficult to read but I wasn't able to find that it requires an HOA, in fact part of the statute explains how to legally disband an HOA. The best I could tell, it gives the rights and ability to create 'planned communities' with HOA's as enforcement but I just don't see where it's the law that every community must have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte