Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM

231 posts, read 576,662 times

Advertisements

I've been through a check point like that once several years ago in SC. However, I think they are a good idea. It's amazing how many things they catch when they do them...driving on revoked licenses, driving with no license at all, DUI's, open containers of alcohol, possession of drugs, etc. I'd rather have people like that off the road before they have the chance to cause worse damage than to consider a check point an infringment of my rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 PM

277 posts, read 661,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachick View Post
today at 11:00 am I drove down Old Monroe Rd and saw 2 Stallings officers with 1 vehicle pulled over.
Not surprised.

They have a habit of setting up on Campus Ridge Rd and pull over students going to CPCC. My daughter got stopped at last year when we first moved here, and they gave her all kinds of grief because she had a NY license, and was was driving my vehicle, registered here in NC.

Guess they have plenty of time on their hands...

Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
About a year ago, my husband ran into these checkpoints in Davidson County. He was in a company car but they were more interested in his driver's license. One of his cutomer's told him the checkpoints were set up to look for illegals and he had heard they found a few. Whether that is true, I don't know. The only other checkpoint I know of was in Alamance County. One of the parents of a child i watch at work was delayed by one on her way to pick up her son. They didn't tell her what they were checking for though.

I suppose if they work in finding anyone with an expired license or things don't add up they will keep doing them.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,185 times
The checkpoints do give police more avenues to work with. There is plenty of case law that when an officer visually observes something suspicious inside a vehicle, regardless of the reason for it being stopped, they can continue to investigate. A motorist could try and deny permission to search the vehicle, but that just results in more police arriving ... and eventually an uncooperative person will be handcuffed and the vehicle searched.

I understand the Libertarian angst about this, but the time to oppose these extensions of police priviledge would have needed to happen 30 years ago. The courts have largely sided with police and the Legislature didn't want to look "soft on drugs/crime" so ... this is where we are.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:56 PM

403 posts, read 878,129 times
My feeling over the years about the checkpoints, has been that the police department had new recruits, and that was part of their training during the day....possibly to protect them when they have to set up at night. I feel that if you have all of your papers in order and you are not hiding anything, then you don't have a thing to worry about.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
I too think they are an excellent idea. I don't mind stopping in one and hope they cut down on people driving on suspended licenses and DWI. Just this morning a lady died with a drunk driving their vehicle. If there had been a checkpoint....

Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Saying that these checkpoints cut down on DUIs is like stating arresting the user of a drug is going to solve the problem. I am more for DUI prevention then more enforcement. I am ok with arresting someone for DUI obviously, but these check points aren't going to solve anything. I would like more drug users/dealers/ drunk drivers off the street as well, but not at this cost.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Saying that these checkpoints cut down on DUIs is like stating arresting the user of a drug is going to solve the problem. I am more for DUI prevention then more enforcement. I am ok with arresting someone for DUI obviously, but these check points aren't going to solve anything. I would like more drug users/dealers/ drunk drivers off the street as well, but not at this cost.

when you live in a neighborhood/community and there is KNOWN drug activity, you set up check points for two reasons; chances are you could very well catch someone moving the goods OR send a very large message to move the crap out of the neighborhood as it is not tolerated. To accomplish either is a good day, it may not be the ultimate goal but it is a good day and a good step to solving the problem.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
when you live in a neighborhood/community and there is KNOWN drug activity, you set up check points for two reasons; chances are you could very well catch someone moving the goods OR send a very large message to move the crap out of the neighborhood as it is not tolerated. To accomplish either is a good day, it may not be the ultimate goal but it is a good day and a good step to solving the problem.
Or you could play your cards closer to the chest and just pull over those who you suspect instead of harassing every citizen that drives down the street. Mallard Creek and Harris is not exactly a drug hotbed. A couple miles down on Sugar Creek maybe.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
they got it here. they say its DWI checks, but the harvest is huge of illegals w/o anything driving a car.
bye bye car--- bye bye illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte