Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Jeez, I thought I was harsh......"tampering with mailboxes"?

Ya know, if someone is down on their luck trying anything to get a job, would you really report them to the police? I mean cmon, its not like they're stealing from you. Some people are desperate.

If its a regular person w/no job, I'd just throw the mailer out, no big deal.....
Except I don't see the person who ruined my mailbox offering to replace it, so they are stealing from me - my time and my money to fix what they screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 03:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I know it is annoying, but before you report someone who is just trying to make a living and survive in this terrible economy, think about it...
I am totally with you. My problem is that we have empty houses in my neighborhood and flyers are wedged between the box and the flag. My lazy neighboors will let them fall off and blow away before they will simply take them and put them into the trash can. There is also a cluster of about four or five mailboxes where nobody owns. My wife an I are the only ones that will pick up the flyers, news adds, etc. It does get annoying.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
They may be trying to survive, but there are still rules. And I know there isn't anything that can be done about it, but someone left a neon orange one on top of my white mailbox. Then it rained on it, leaving large parts of my once white mailbox a nasty shade of pinkish orange. I'm not going to be impressed by people who cost me time and money - they aren't the only ones trying to survive.

I thought on the box was ok as long as it was not IN the box. Personally, I would call the business and let them know they can not do this. If it bothered my that much, I would alert the postmaster AFTER the warning.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:45 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Except I don't see the person who ruined my mailbox offering to replace it, so they are stealing from me - my time and my money to fix what they screwed up.
Maybe someone should start a company to fix the mailboxes damaged by this practice... Now how to advertise this service?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I thought on the box was ok as long as it was not IN the box. ...
It's not OK if they break your box and litter your neighborhood as I said above. It's getting to the point where I see 2 or 3 of these/day sometimes which has become a major annoyance to deal with it.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:10 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Here are the guidelines from the USPS
Advertising on a mailbox or its supporting post is prohibited.

Our regulations cover what can and can’t be placed in a curbside mailbox or mailbox outside of your house, which generally includes only mail that has been sent through the USPS. However, our regulations don’t govern what can be placed in a mail slot on your door.

You can attach a receptacle for newspaper delivery by a private company to the post of a curbside mailbox used by the Postal Service as long as it doesn’t:

• touch or use any part of the mailbox for support.
  • interfere with mail delivery, obstruct the view of the mailbox flag, or present a hazard to a mailperson or vehicle.
  • extend beyond the front of the mailbox when the box door is closed.
  • display any advertising, except the publication’s title.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
It's not annoying, it's a crime.

Message for those who are just trying to make a living and survive....tampering with mailboxes is a federal offense punishable by fines and/or jail time. If you have to annoy people with advertisements hang them on the doorknob, put them in the paper box or pay the postage if you want it to end up in the mailbox....but if you open my mailbox I'll report you to the postal authorities and vow never to use your services, ever. Think about it.
I didn't know opening and closing a mailbox was the definition of "tampering". Probably is considering how much of a joke many laws are.

Thinking about it, I don't want someone like this as a customer, as your overaggressive nature will probably make me lose money than gain it by hunting for things that may not be technically correct but don't matter for the purposes of the said project.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
i dont know if it is on or in but it is illegal to put in a mailbox
call the company sending it to compain. go to the source

Old 10-09-2009, 05:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Jeez, I thought I was harsh......"tampering with mailboxes"?

Ya know, if someone is down on their luck trying anything to get a job, would you really report them to the police? I mean cmon, its not like they're stealing from you. Some people are desperate.

If its a regular person w/no job, I'd just throw the mailer out, no big deal.....
Quote:
I didn't know opening and closing a mailbox was the definition of "tampering". Probably is considering how much of a joke many laws are.

Thinking about it, I don't want someone like this as a customer, as your overaggressive nature will probably make me lose money than gain it by hunting for things that may not be technically correct but don't matter for the purposes of the said project.
Are you serious? Do you open up your box for anyone to rummage through if they want? How is it that you think I am the aggressive one when opening someone's mailbox is a federal offense as well as a personal offense?

And how am I supposed to know if you just want to put a flier in my mailbox or if you are looking for CC statements/applications or a box of checks to steal my identity? How do I know if you are the business owner or if you have hired a bunch of people you don't know all that well to go poking around people's mailboxes? I don't know you or what you are doing. Maybe you are a crazy stalker or a nosy neighbor or maybe you are just a business person who is too cheap to pay for the stamp. Regardless of the reason, you don't have ANY business being in my mailbox!!

What the heck is so hard about putting it in the paper box or leaving the flier by the front door instead of tampering with mailboxes?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
I didn't know opening and closing a mailbox was the definition of "tampering". Probably is considering how much of a joke many laws are....
Nobody should be going into my mailbox but the postman and me. This isn't a joke law.

For anyone reading this who might dismiss this law, it's also a federal crime too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte