Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:41 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I can't believe that lots over 2 acres outside subdivisions have livestock restrictions.I am not saying that you're wrong, but just can't believe it.

We looked at places in Midland area that had horses, admittedly they also had houses on them!
Can I ask what your price range is?
You have to check county regulations. The price range has nothing to do with regulations.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:48 PM

80 posts, read 238,866 times
Price range is up to 65K for 2 acres or more.
Believe me everthing I've found that is over 2 acres has livestock restrictions.
In 3 counties-I've found maybe 10 lots that didn't and they were all garbage..truely...

Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM

80 posts, read 238,866 times
And if there are no restrictions, most counties have laws governing what livestock you can have.
Even in the city of Charlotte you can have chickens..so I don't see it being a problem with livestock...it's just finding the land.
I found a lot today 5 acres..it was reduced from 100K down to 82K...the man would not come any lower...decent land but you'd have to spend $$ just to get the junky mobile home and tons of garbage he had everywhere...this is the kindof stuff I'm finding...

Old 10-17-2009, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,872 times
I've got 44 acres in Western Lincoln County that I want rid of. PM me.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:18 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleblessings View Post
And if there are no restrictions, most counties have laws governing what livestock you can have.
Even in the city of Charlotte you can have chickens..so I don't see it being a problem with livestock...it's just finding the land.
I found a lot today 5 acres..it was reduced from 100K down to 82K...the man would not come any lower...decent land but you'd have to spend $$ just to get the junky mobile home and tons of garbage he had everywhere...this is the kindof stuff I'm finding...
Look at the county zoning regulations for each county that you are looking at. That will spell out the regulations that you have to deal with. Some states have "farmettes" which are smaller pieces of land where you can have livestock. Goats & horses are livestock.

North Carolina does not have farmettes. I have told you that I already looked into livestock regulations, in 3 counties, & that you have to check the individual counties. In my county, there are 2 ways for me to have animals classified as livestock. I'd like for it to be different but wishing does not make it so.

Look for 10 acre parcels of land & see the difference.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:33 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
Just a thought..

Have you found anything that was close to what you want? If so, keep reading

What if you put an offer in pending a variance in zoning? Then apply for the use you would like. You never know it might work if you spell out everything that you plan to do with the property.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 AM

41 posts, read 114,975 times
You could try Homegain.com

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM

264 posts, read 854,095 times
My family and I have close to 10 acres off 16N in Charlotte that we are thinking about sellng. My lot is 4.3 acres. We have goats and sheep and chickens and cats and a dog. I don't know about these restriction you are talking about with livestock as the only thing I was told is to get licenses from animal control (I think that is where I was suppose to go...but never did, and no one has said anything and it has been a couple of years.) PM me if you want to take a look or have any questions.
I hope you find what you are looking for though...I love it!!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
Default House with land in Kannapolis, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleblessings View Post
I have been looking and looking and looking for land. We are looking in Gaston, Eastern Lincoln and Southern Iredell County. I've expanded my search to parts of Rowan and Cabarrus as well. My husband works in North Charlotte so he can't have a super long commute. I've exhausted Mls talked with 100 realtors, drove endless miles hoping for a fsbo sign-nothing.
Everything is either so expensive you can't touch it or it has a ton of restrictions. We would like to build a home and have a small scale organic farm.(small meaning 2-6 acres)...
Are we looking in the wrong areas? I looked again in Lincoln co. this morning and there were 15 pages of land for sale in our price range-99% have restrictions not one under contract. Could it be that what we desire is the norm now and those properties if they do come up get snatched quickly.
You would think land developers and owners would get smart and see the trend for small scale farms and change there restrictions..maybe some would go under contract...
Should we just give up and move into a subdivision? Is there an area I've yet to look that would be a good area to check out?
Any help would be appreciated.
We have a small horse farm in Kannapolis. We are about 7 minutes from 85 and 30-40 minutes from downtown. We have about 10 acres with a brick home and have considered selling to move closing to the Midland area. It is a great area and very close to shopping etc.....email me if you want more information [EMAIL="ccannon@carolina.rr.com"]ccannon@carolina.rr.com[/EMAIL]. We have no restrictions where we live. We have horses, chicken and bees.

Kim Cannon

Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You have to check county regulations. The price range has nothing to do with regulations.
I didn't say it had.I was asking the OP what their price range was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte