U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,066,620 times
Reputation: 1062

Advertisements

I thought this would be a the best place to post this since everyone is getting ready for the big day. This will save lots of time.

Easy way to polish silverwear

You can use an aluminum pan or a anytype of baking dish and line it with aluminum foil.

sprinkle pan/foil with baking soda
place silverwear into pan/dish
boil water
pour boiling water over silverwear and wa la, tarnish free silverwear.

It's that easy, I found this in Martha Stewart's magazine a few years back, thanks for the easy tip Martha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Cuban roast pork (lechon asado), boiled yuca with mojito, moros and Jupiña! oh, and pumpkin pie.
Oh, that sounds delicious.

Do share some recipes with us! If you don't have time to do it right now, please post them later. It all sounds wonderful!

I went back and posted the traditional green bean casserole on my blog, b/c would you believe - I kept getting requests for it as opposed to the Creole Green Bean casserole I posted!

I also added my oyster stuffing recipe.

Gonna finish up some housekeeping details, get my dining room decor in order and start cooking!

Hope you all enjoy Thanksgiving . . . and thank you for the wonderful info you have all shared.

We always end up talking about food on this forum!

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
1,865 posts, read 4,783,488 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I thought this would be a the best place to post this since everyone is getting ready for the big day. This will save lots of time.

Easy way to polish silverwear

You can use an aluminum pan or a anytype of baking dish and line it with aluminum foil.

sprinkle pan/foil with baking soda
place silverwear into pan/dish
boil water
pour boiling water over silverwear and wa la, tarnish free silverwear.

It's that easy, I found this in Martha Stewart's magazine a few years back, thanks for the easy tip Martha!
I'm definitely going to have to try this on my silverware!

Let's see...at my house we're having home-made celery & meatball soup (mom's recipe)...turkey (fresh, not frozen)...sage stuffing...cranberry sauce....candied sweet potatoes....stringbeans with almonds....garlicky peas & onions....lasagne..pumpkin pie...pizzelles... My cousin's bringing a honey-baked ham...rice pudding....apricot cookies...cupcakes.

Dinner starts at 3...who's hungry???

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YA'LL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I thought this would be a the best place to post this since everyone is getting ready for the big day. This will save lots of time.

Easy way to polish silverwear

You can use an aluminum pan or a anytype of baking dish and line it with aluminum foil.

sprinkle pan/foil with baking soda
place silverwear into pan/dish
boil water
pour boiling water over silverwear and wa la, tarnish free silverwear.

It's that easy, I found this in Martha Stewart's magazine a few years back, thanks for the easy tip Martha!
I have used that tip before in the past! It does work really well for flatware. Glad you mentioned it, Nancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 02:35 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
I'm definitely going to have to try this on my silverware!

Let's see...at my house we're having home-made celery & meatball soup (mom's recipe)...turkey (fresh, not frozen)...sage stuffing...cranberry sauce....candied sweet potatoes....stringbeans with almonds....garlicky peas & onions....lasagne..pumpkin pie...pizzelles... My cousin's bringing a honey-baked ham...rice pudding....apricot cookies...cupcakes.

Dinner starts at 3...who's hungry???

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YA'LL!!!!!
YUMMY!!! It sounds like heaven.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Rosie!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,772 posts, read 11,866,602 times
Reputation: 6513
Brined turkey
gravy
stuffing w/ sausage, apples, celery, onions, cranberries and lots of sage
rosemary focaccia bread (sp?)
sweet potato souffle
cranberry, orange zest and pecan relish
mashed potatoes
broccoli salad
roasted root veggies, brussel sprouts, apples and herbs
stuffed mushrooms
asparagus, walnut, and blue cheese phyllo pastry triangles
pumpkin custard pie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 04:48 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,066,620 times
Reputation: 1062
My nephew doesn't like pie, so I am making him a chocolate cake w/milk duds on top! He is so in to milk duds right now I thought it would be funny and he will absolutely love it. He is a true chocoholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2009, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,181 posts, read 11,196,367 times
Reputation: 30731
Happy Thanksgiving all!

Our house is going simple this year. My wonderful DW (who keeps the roof on this zoo!) had to work late last night so the store will look pretty for the early birds tomorrow. This is the first year in over 20 that we haven't gone anywhere.

So while she sleeps most of the day today, I have been baking pies, prepping the turkey, mashed potatos, washing dishes, reading recipes, washing pans and bowls, more prep work, washing more dushes (where are they coming from?), and trying to get as much done so she can get up and enjoy her day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
616 posts, read 1,565,721 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving all!

Our house is going simple this year. My wonderful DW (who keeps the roof on this zoo!) had to work late last night so the store will look pretty for the early birds tomorrow. This is the first year in over 20 that we haven't gone anywhere.

So while she sleeps most of the day today, I have been baking pies, prepping the turkey, mashed potatos, washing dishes, reading recipes, washing pans and bowls, more prep work, washing more dushes (where are they coming from?), and trying to get as much done so she can get up and enjoy her day.
Oh! You're a sweetie! How did it all come out? What kind of pies did you bake?

We are in agreement about the dishes. Ran the dishwasher twice yesterday - and we are only a household of two.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2009, 08:09 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,066,620 times
Reputation: 1062
I started yesterday at 6:45AM. I made a dish and then cleaned the dishes, then started the next dish etc. So I didn't have a mound of dishes which was nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top