Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times

Advertisements

Are you fixing family favorites? Do you have turkey and ham or turkey and other entrees (such as an Italian dish?)

Are you new to the South/Charlotte and planning to try some Southern recipes this year?

I enjoy finding out what others are doing for Thanksgiving and am happy to share my recipes.

We are having both turkey and a spiral cut glazed ham, along with Corn Pudding, Creole Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry Orange Relish, Broccoli Casserole (my son insists), Oyster Dressing, Deviled Eggs and some other items.

For dessert, pecan pie and pumpkin pie. I had planned to make chess pie but I think I will save that for Christmas

Menu and recipes on my blog: Carolina Lifestyles

Please share your recipes or post your menu. Also, if you need help finding a recipe, I will be glad to help.

If you need help locating ingredients, I have been in all the major grocery stores in the area as of today, and I will be glad to direct you to what I have seen along the way!

Just FYI: if you want to include a spiral cut ham, ALDI here in Charlotte had wonderful hams on sale today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM

769 posts, read 2,222,193 times
Going to my parents, but I always do the cooking, whether it's at my house or theirs. We're vegetarian, so no turkey or ham, but there will be stuffing, candied yams, fruit salad, fresh cranberry- orange sauce, peas, mashed potatoes and gravy, and pumpkin pie and cheesecake for dessert.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,641,217 times
Well, it won't be my table it will be my mother in laws. But there had better be some Green Bean Casserole this year!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Going to my parents, but I always do the cooking, whether it's at my house or theirs. We're vegetarian, so no turkey or ham, but there will be stuffing, candied yams, fruit salad, fresh cranberry- orange sauce, peas, mashed potatoes and gravy, and pumpkin pie and cheesecake for dessert.
That sounds delicious - turkey or not!

Do you cook your cranberry-orange sauce? My recipe is for a relish. I love that combo of cranberries and oranges. It is so fresh and such a nice accompaniment for other dishes.

I cheat on the potatoes. I buy the frozen potatoes (mashed) and that cuts out having to do that dish. We like them and it is a nice shortcut.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Well, it won't be my table it will be my mother in laws. But there had better be some Green Bean Casserole this year!!!
Can't go without the green bean casserole! I wasn't going to fix it this year - was gonna do the creole green beans - but son is fussing so maybe I will do both, lol!!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,364,600 times
Ani: where will you get your turkey? We will be getting just the turkey breast b/c that's all everyone eats anyway for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for fresh, preferably free-range. All that good stuff! We used to get our turkeys in previous years from a trusted butcher back in IL.

My mom arrives tomorrow for Thanksgiving, the first she and I have shared in a few years. We are closer to her this year, plus we are not doing the drive to Michigan that we've done in the past years (3 hours before vs 13 hours??). So we need to start the shopping, etc.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,579,509 times
Ani - please share the orange cranberry relish recipe - that sounds wonderful!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 PM

769 posts, read 2,222,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That sounds delicious - turkey or not!

Do you cook your cranberry-orange sauce? My recipe is for a relish. I love that combo of cranberries and oranges. It is so fresh and such a nice accompaniment for other dishes.

I cheat on the potatoes. I buy the frozen potatoes (mashed) and that cuts out having to do that dish. We like them and it is a nice shortcut.
I do cook it a bit to thicken it up a bit. I've been having fun with cranberries this year - made sauce to experiment with some different spice combinations, made an apple-cranberry pie, made cranberry bars... but nothing beats cranberry-orange

Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 PM

461 posts, read 986,877 times
We'll be having whatever's open on the road to DC

Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Ani: where will you get your turkey? We will be getting just the turkey breast b/c that's all everyone eats anyway for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for fresh, preferably free-range. All that good stuff! We used to get our turkeys in previous years from a trusted butcher back in IL.

My mom arrives tomorrow for Thanksgiving, the first she and I have shared in a few years. We are closer to her this year, plus we are not doing the drive to Michigan that we've done in the past years (3 hours before vs 13 hours??). So we need to start the shopping, etc.
Gosh, I am not sure about free-range turkeys. But Harris Teeter will have frsh turkeys, and I have seen them at BiLo, Lowes and Food Lion in the past (not sure about this year). HT had advertised fresh turkeys, tho.

If I see an ad on free range turkeys, I will certainly post it.

I have started my shopping, too. Got stuff like cranberries, green pepper, onions, pecans, etc. today. I often fix at least one casserole ahead and freeze it, so I don't have to make it on Thanksgiving day. So I may make the broccoli casserole Monday and then stick in freezer and just re-heat on Thanksgiving.

I am so glad your mom is able to be with you this year! That drive sounds very much like our drive back to Kansas City. It can really be a pain in bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte