Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:51 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
vindaloo, why are you trying to pick a fight?

... the link that I posted was in addition to the previous link which defined "smart growth" which is what I said I was referring to.
Why is it that when you post something for which I am not sure of the intentions and I question it, you say I am starting a fight? I looked at the citing and it talked about growth around the light rail and positive attributes. Since you are arguing that Charlotte is a poor example of "smart growth", I wonder the purpose of your posting the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 08:07 PM

[quote=coped;11809977]What good does that do? I think a walkable neighborhood implies that it's possible to walk TO amenities like grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Plus, cul-de-sacs inhibit neighborhood connectivity and can make what should be a 10-minute walk 30 minutes. At that point, might as well drive.

I walk to all amenities from my house. I don't really need a car. I take daily walks but not neccessarily through neighborhoods. So, I guess it all depends on the purpose of ones walk. I get real bored walking the same places and parks so we drive around the county for different changes of scenery.

No. They don't. The entire area of 51 from Park Road to the Arboretum is a dead zone. Many parts of Southwest Charlotte, most of Pineville, parts of the University area even, Mountain Island Lake and Long Creek areas are not covered by the system.

Got me there. I do know that we get good service out here in the Lake area and in most parts of central Charlotte. I know the city does a pretty good job of providing service where needed. If there is a demand in those areas, people should petition for service.

Most of these are not affordable either. I'm not sure Birkdale qualifies as walkable. Is there a grocery store in the development? Never ceases to amaze how they will build these "new urbanist" developments without a food store..How ridiculous is that? I also would not count Southpark.. The roads are much too wide and drivers too unalert for it to be walkable. Myers Park is borderline. Don't know anything about Cornelius but will have to check it out now.

Birkdale is very walkable. I often walk from Catwaba Ave Ave. to Birkdale village. I walk through the streets of Birkdale village. A very nice walk. Housing there is not expensive. It is mostly houses around 1400-1800 sq. feet. There is a Lowes grocery store walking distance from Birkdale. It isn't in central area, but closer to the Galway Hooker.

In general, I think Charlotte has done better than Atlanta at acheiving some smart growth. But the effects of the (sub)urban planning mindset of the 1950s-1980s are going to be very hard to offset since that is when a lot of Charlotte's growth happened. So far, we haven't had any racists calling for the defunding of public transit, and our state's excellent annexation law has kept the suburbs from seceding -- though some of the surrounding counties may cause problems in the times ahead. Still, we have been way too responsive to the developers, and mixed-use has been used only sparingly and artificially -- as if it is something unique or different rather than the way city people lived from the beginning of time until 60 years ago. Hopefully the growth of in-town neighborhoods will continue.

I agree. From what I have seen in other newer cities, Charlotte seems to generally have a handle on the situation and is working on ways to improve. About four years ago, the Council of Urban Planners met in Charlotte and used Charlotte as an example of excellent urban planning. There is always room for improvement.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
I would never try to take my life in my own hands by attempting to walk from some place on Catawba Avenue to Birkdale Village. There isn't even a sidewalk on that part of Catawba Avenue and the area is highly congested with traffic. If walkable means walking through large swaths of pavement, then the entire county is walkable. Lowes grocery store is not in practical walking distance of Birkdale Village and it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that someone would even attempt to do this.

The topic is about Smart Growth and iMO the entire Birkdale Village concept fails at it, even if it was even attempted there. It's basically nothing more than an open air strip mall as it was built with little regard to its surroundings. I agree with coped.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 AM

210 posts, read 604,152 times
Charlotte could certainly do better, but far from a poster child for sprawl -- we are far less than Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix or LA. If Charlotte was as bad as those cities, everything would look like Ballantyne or those office parks that line the west side of 77, south of the airport. That's poorly planned growth, but it's certainly not everywhere -- revitalizing downtown has been successful here, and transit will continue to improve.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I would never try to take my life in my own hands by attempting to walk from some place on Catawba Avenue to Birkdale Village. There isn't even a sidewalk on that part of Catawba Avenue and the area is highly congested with traffic. If walkable means walking through large swaths of pavement, then the entire county is walkable. Lowes grocery store is not in practical walking distance of Birkdale Village and it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that someone would even attempt to do this.

The topic is about Smart Growth and iMO the entire Birkdale Village concept fails at it, even if it was even attempted there. It's basically nothing more than an open air strip mall as it was built with little regard to its surroundings. I agree with coped.
I have no desire to argue with you. I will just say that Lowe's store is 1/2 mile from Birkdale. If you consider it "disingenuous to suggest that someone would even attempt to do this", you obviously are not a walker.

Besides, if you consider Birkdale Village "nothing more than an open air strip mall", you are speaking of personal prejudice and not reality. Birkdale Village type places are the new trend around the U.S. like it or not.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:48 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post

so do I, lumbollo.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:54 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Why is it that when you post something for which I am not sure of the intentions and I question it, you say I am starting a fight? I looked at the citing and it talked about growth around the light rail and positive attributes. Since you are arguing that Charlotte is a poor example of "smart growth", I wonder the purpose of your posting the article.
vindaloo, let me give you a lesson in talking with a Northerner. We don't do "hidden meanings" when we talk/write. It is what it is. If I say that I am referring to something...that is what I am referring to. Anything additional is simply backup. There are usually no motives, nothing other than what is said. Period. We say what we mean and mean what we say. That is how we are sometimes perceived as being rude...

the only exception would be if we are being sarcastic...and, that is a whole different story. Usually, that is fairly evident.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
vindaloo, let me give you a lesson in talking with a Northerner. We don't do "hidden meanings" when we talk/write. It is what it is. If I say that I am referring to something...that is what I am referring to. Anything additional is simply backup. There are usually no motives, nothing other than what is said. Period. We say what we mean and mean what we say. That is how we are sometimes perceived as being rude...

the only exception would be if we are being sarcastic...and, that is a whole different story. Usually, that is fairly evident.
Wow! So your opinion represents everyone in the northern hemisphere of the United States? Absolutely fantastic! Rudeness is a result of poor upbringing, ignorance, or inability to communicate due to mental limitations.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Wow! So your opinion represents everyone in the northern hemisphere of the United States? Absolutely fantastic! Since you are from Chicago, I am sure that you have witnessed all of those honest people that run your city and state that don't speak with hidden meanings, ie., your former governor and other politicians? Don't glorify yourself. I have never spoken negatively about people from Chicago or of their being rude. They generally aren't. Chicagoans are midwesterners. As a matter of fact, I remember complimenting them for being nice and your telling me that I would be in danger if I said that in a bar there. I thought that was an ignorant thing to say. Rudeness is a sign of poor upbringing, inability to communicate, and/or ignorance. You can call it what you wish. Sorry, but you will not earn my admiration. Your personal stereotyping of people of Chicago is kind of laughable.
Vindaloo, you are just as guilty or worse in terms of stereotyping so the pot is calling the kettle black.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Vindaloo, you are just as guilty or worse in terms of stereotyping so the pot is calling the kettle black.
I have doubts if you even understand the conversation. Besides, you should fight your own battles. Feel free to show me where I have stereotyped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte