Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:31 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Yes! I was surprised that the medical care here was so good. When I was at the bank a few weeks ago the bank manager was telling me his wife had gone in to total liver failure when she was a few weeks pregnant due to a virus....a VERY rare event. They pretty much prepared him to accept that she was going to die, that is how dire the situation was Within 11 days they had found a donor liver and his wife survived!!! She is now 6 months pregnant with a healthy baby girl She had her liver transplant at CMC (Carolinas Medical Center) and he said they were WONDERFUL and he has no doubt if they had been back in OH where they came from, his wife most likely would have died.

I was recently diagnosed with a lupus like syndrome (it is probably full blown lupus, but the bloodwork is not 100% conclusive) and I have seen many doctors in the 2 months I've been here. I have received excellent treatment at the local hospitals and by the local physicians. They do have GREAT medical care here in Charlotte

I wish you the best I'm sure they will take good care of you here. It's such a load off my mind knowing the the medical is so much better from whence I came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
Charlotte Is A Great City And Yes It Is Always Changing But I Work In A Hotel And 10-20% Of My Guest Are Relocating To The City. They Have A Lot To Choose From As Far As Different Areas. My Answer Is If It Is To Be Found, Charlotte Has It, And If You Don't Find It You Did Not Look Hard Enough! Downtown, Southend, Myers Park, Southpark, Ballentyne, Univerisity, Are A Few Examples Of Different Areas. Most The Newbys Are Finding The Nearby Cities Have What There Are Looking For With Good Schools And Lower Taxes. Anyway Good Luck And Yes Someone Loves This City.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:23 PM

132 posts, read 445,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
Where in Ballyantyne are you renting?
In Blakeney. Can't wait!!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:28 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcotter578 View Post
Charlotte Is A Great City And Yes It Is Always Changing But I Work In A Hotel And 10-20% Of My Guest Are Relocating To The City. They Have A Lot To Choose From As Far As Different Areas. My Answer Is If It Is To Be Found, Charlotte Has It, And If You Don't Find It You Did Not Look Hard Enough! Downtown, Southend, Myers Park, Southpark, Ballentyne, Univerisity, Are A Few Examples Of Different Areas. Most The Newbys Are Finding The Nearby Cities Have What There Are Looking For With Good Schools And Lower Taxes. Anyway Good Luck And Yes Someone Loves This City.

Nice but you left out the most important area of town Lake Norman

Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
amp amp started this thread

519 posts, read 1,516,184 times
I definately appreciate all of your comments on things you love about Charlotte!! I also searched more of the messages online here and found some other good information regarding parks and plans for transit. I think this city seems to have so much to offer and we are excited to (most likely) be moving there!

Old 05-17-2007, 05:39 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
wow city..i'll tell ya, if i hated the weather where i live i'd be outta here. I moved here because i hate the cold.
Well when I graduated from grad school I didn't have a job at that exact moment so I only really had one place to go- back home to the parents . I ended up getting a job here but am in the process of getting a new job, which means I'm moving.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Good for you..what city?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:51 AM

12 posts, read 25,324 times
Default LOVE it!

I love Charlotte!!

My background:

Grew up in Richmond, from 1989 to 2006 lived in Louisville, Winston-Salem, Dallas, Kansas City, Baltimore, Tallahassee, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Montclair, NJ. I HAD to move to those places, and good and bad about all. I CHOSE to move to Charlotte, and every day I wake up smug - I'm sosososo happy to be here! I just wish I could have been here for the last 20 years to see the changes and experience some of the now defunct things people talk about.

For reference, I live in area 5:

Things I love:

Fountains
"boulevards" - medians with flowering trees
smooth roads
Traffic - Pah! live in N. Jersey, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. for awhile and then complain about the traffic! Puh-leeze.
Lots of restaurants that are easy to get to
Uptown Charlotte - vibrant, growing, pretty safe
Barbecue! yum
Shopping choices
Lots of trees
Churches - pretty and on every corner, whether you go or not
Summer music in the outdoor malls
Parks!
biking trails
Latta Plantation
Lakes
Nice people
Weather - more sunshine-y days
So many birds! Not a day goes by that I don't see cardinals and finches
Wonderful UNC system
My doctor and dentist are so great!
The Harris Y - wonderful!

Things I wish were better:

We will need the light rail system for people living out, most especially
finish 485!
Compainers - oh, wait, I mean complainers
The obsession with new construction houses confuses me, but I do understand that's a sign of growth, and that's good
Some people - mostly the newbies that this is the first time they've lived away from their home area, so of course it's "not the same". Not the same doesn't mean bad, you know. Also, the sort of snooty ones, you know what I mean? Who don't like change or new people? The ones with a sense of entitlement?

I'm just so happy to be here, and I would recommend it to anyone, here with appreciation, and from elsewhere who can come with an open mind and embrace a new life.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:58 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderland View Post
I love Charlotte!!

My background:

Grew up in Richmond, from 1989 to 2006 lived in Louisville, Winston-Salem, Dallas, Kansas City, Baltimore, Tallahassee, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Montclair, NJ. I HAD to move to those places, and good and bad about all. I CHOSE to move to Charlotte, and every day I wake up smug - I'm sosososo happy to be here! I just wish I could have been here for the last 20 years to see the changes and experience some of the now defunct things people talk about.

For reference, I live in area 5:

Things I love:

Fountains
"boulevards" - medians with flowering trees
smooth roads
Traffic - Pah! live in N. Jersey, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. for awhile and then complain about the traffic! Puh-leeze.
Lots of restaurants that are easy to get to
Uptown Charlotte - vibrant, growing, pretty safe
Barbecue! yum
Shopping choices
Lots of trees
Churches - pretty and on every corner, whether you go or not
Summer music in the outdoor malls
Parks!
biking trails
Latta Plantation
Lakes
Nice people
Weather - more sunshine-y days
So many birds! Not a day goes by that I don't see cardinals and finches
Wonderful UNC system
My doctor and dentist are so great!
The Harris Y - wonderful!

Things I wish were better:

We will need the light rail system for people living out, most especially
finish 485!
Compainers - oh, wait, I mean complainers
The obsession with new construction houses confuses me, but I do understand that's a sign of growth, and that's good
Some people - mostly the newbies that this is the first time they've lived away from their home area, so of course it's "not the same". Not the same doesn't mean bad, you know. Also, the sort of snooty ones, you know what I mean? Who don't like change or new people? The ones with a sense of entitlement?

I'm just so happy to be here, and I would recommend it to anyone, here with appreciation, and from elsewhere who can come with an open mind and embrace a new life.
Great Post!!!! I cant wait to get there..1 week and 5 days YIPPIE.....

Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM

93 posts, read 391,447 times
I have to agree with xray's post:

Ask yourself why you are considering the move?
What you are willing to sacrifice with the move?
What you will gain from the move?

This is VERY good advice! Plus you know someone here, which is good to have, since you'll have a network of people that you know, plus there's all of us in the city Forum! I'm new here too and have had some great advice from these guys!

I'm originally from the Norfolk/Va. Beach area, but we just moved here from AZ. Believe me, I would rather take the summers here than in AZ!!! (123 degrees during summer months, go figure...can't even go outside, it's so miserable) I also have some friends that already live here, and they've been in this area for 12 years. Winters here are pretty decent; not a lot of snow, which is rare. I'm just happy to have rain once a week, whereas in AZ, we had gone 6-9 months without rain.

NC is very unique in that you have the mountains and beach access...OuterBanks, Myrtle, Wilmington, depends on what floats your boat. Since I'm also from a military town, you don't have that mentality down here. It's all about how the people are (very gracious Southern hospitality) and abundance of nature, parks and water access. Plus it's not a very huge city, but still has its culture, resturants and fun things to do if you're single or if you're married w/ kids. Charlotte is a newer, up and coming city, whereas Raliegh is an older city.

I have no complaints, other than the occasional road construction, which is a headache, but hey, if NC is working to improve its roads, then go for it!!!

NC BBQ rocks! But not too much of it; it'll clog yer arteries.

Your best bet is to rent first and stay in your rental home until you get to know the area better. You'll have time to get your feet wet.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte