Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 32,433 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving my family of Four from Charlottesville, VA to either Raleigh / Chapel Hill or Charlotte because I need to have better proximity to a major metro airport.

As I fly to LGA, JFK once per month ; PHL, PIT, IAD, BOS, MCO, BDL, once per quarter, and SFO/SJC 1-2 times per year and need better choices than I have now.

I work in Sales and have the luxury of working from home the remaining 70-80% of the time. So, the in city traffic or daily commuter traffic does not really concern me, nor my wife.

We are eyeing both Baxter Village in Fort Mill, SC and Southern Village in Chapel Hill, NC as a basis for comparison.

We are in are early 30's with a 4 yr old and 1 month old. So, Schools and Safety are very important to us.

Other important things would be: Family Friendly and Pet Friendly Community, Things to Do with Children, Happiness of Like Minded Existing Residents, Access to Great Food - both Dining and local produce.

1.) Would you choose Raleigh or Charlotte based on the above assumptions?

2.) I am interested in hearing from people that travel from CLT and RDU frequently and their experiences with both airports.

It seems from an outsider's perspective that CLT is a more expensive airport?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM

529 posts, read 1,202,705 times
Arrow Clt>rdu

If I recall correctly, RDU has been losing flights, and with the airlines reducing capacity all around, I think that your safer bet is CLT. One bad thing about CLT is that Southwest Airlines is not available, but as a business flyer, you would benefit more from achieving elite status by flying USAirways frequently.

I fly out of CLT a lot, and have flown RDU a few times. CLT is a better airport facility in terms of parking, amenities, convenience. Just my opinion, of course

One major reason I moved to CLT is the airport and I haven't regretted it. Love all the non-stop flights.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:23 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
If you like flying on the torturous hell that is US Airways, then Charlotte is the place for you. Charlotte is their biggest hub, they fly everywhere, and they are practically your only choice. RDU, has a larger choice of choice of airlines, but far fewer direct flights. However to the cities you mention, I don't think there is a problem.

As for the other requirements, I don't think there is that much difference. IMO, I think Chapel Hill has a reputation for being a much more upscale place and which has better educational opportunities than a bedroom community in South Carolina, but others may feel differently.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
This is probably my first post that suggests something other than Charlotte...but I gotta say RDU offers SWA and CLT does not. Therefore, I'd live within driving range of RDU. That doesn't exactly mean in the Raleigh area...it means within an hour or so. Charlotte is too far to drive to RDU for a flight. I'd say as far west as Greensboro would be ok.

Of course, you do have to live in the palce that you're moving to, so be sure to like it as well! Don't base it solely on an airport. If you want more rolling hills and a little closer to the mountains, RDU is going to be a stretch to live in a area like that. If you like coastal plains and closer to the beach, RDU is definitely the airport to base around.

I yearn for the day SWA decides CLT is their next destination. Hopefully after we shake of this recession and they start growing again, we'll get picked. It'll happen some day...

Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM

17 posts, read 39,418 times
My vote is RDU. With the new terminal expanding (really nice inside), the closer walk from the parking deck (not having to get on a bus if in short term parking), traffic getting in and out of the airport, and options with different airlines, I prefer to fly out of RDU rather then CLT.

I wouldn't say that SWA is in option for most of your destinations, but since you are mostly flying into hubs you may find better traffic options from Raleigh with the wider selection of airlines, but with PHL, BOS, and PIT being strong US Air cities you may like CLT better for your needs. Unless you are a type of flyer that sticks to one specific airline it really depends on where you are flying to and how much you want to avoid stopovers. If you rate your options for direct flights per day then that may make your decision. Compared to Charlottesville, either is going to be significantly better.

Regarding your question of CLT being more expensive, I think it is due to a lack of competition, but that is the price you pay for flying out of a strong hub and having more direct flight options.

Charlotte/Douglas International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raleigh-Durham International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-01-2009, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 32,433 times
Thank you for all your Feedback. I tend to Stick with Jet Blue to/from NYC and BOS as I prefer JetBlue over just about every other Airline except maybe Virgin America.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you like flying on the torturous hell that is US Airways, then Charlotte is the place for you. Charlotte is their biggest hub, they fly everywhere, and they are practically your only choice...
It's funny, but when I lived in Michigan, people said the *exact* same things about Northwest (Northworst?) and Detroit Metro. I think it's easy to pick on the hometown airport/airline, personally.

I fly nearly every week, out on Sun/Mon and return Fri night, and I have had almost zero problems with USAirways <knock wood>.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It's funny, but when I lived in Michigan, people said the *exact* same things about Northwest (Northworst?) and Detroit Metro. I think it's easy to pick on the hometown airport/airline, personally.

I fly nearly every week, out on Sun/Mon and return Fri night, and I have had almost zero problems with USAirways <knock wood>.
As a native who has used both CLT and RDU for three decades . . . I would choose CLT at this point in time. I would live in S. CLT (not charmed by Baxter but many are, especially folks w/ children-plus I want to vote in NC, lol!) We can get to the airport easily. I usually drop off hubby and pick him up so no airport charges (wh/ really wouldn't matter as they are travel expenses his company would pick up but cars DO get dinged in any airport lot).

I like the direct flights out of Douglas as I am not into wasting time when I am doing business.

If you want to do some adjunct teaching, then I would suggest the RDU region, as there are so many colleges/universities in that area where you can teach. That is the only reason I would select something accessible to RDU over something accessible to CLT. I like neighborhoods, layout of city/burbs, accessibility to mountains better from CLT. If I want to head to the beach, I go to Charleston, so that is an easy trip from CLT, too.

But you won't be making a big mistake by choosing either area. Both regions have a lot going for them. I just prefer being closer to the western part of the state.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
I travel, on average, about 5 weeks out of every 6 (and Mrs. Tober flies almost as much) and, having moved from Baltimore from where every flight was a connection unless you flew the Greyhound of the skies known as SouthWest, we love it because USAir has direct flights to 95% of the places we go. I'm flying to FLL, MIA, MKE, EWR, GNV and IND on a pretty much revolving basis these days and everything is direct on US Scare except for the flights home from MKE (their last direct back is at 2:00 PM, so I have to hop through ORD).

I'll agree with the OP about JetBlue, but I really have no complaints with US Scare - I've had very few delays this past year and they get me where I need to go. And not having to worry about making a connection most of the time takes out a lot of the stress that does come when you do have delays.

And while CLT is a larger airport, its usually not THAT crowded. And if you do fly US, if you have any level of status with them, you can use their reserved security line closer to the B terminal and be through the metal detector most times in under 5 minutes. And traffic is usually not too bad and the business valet lot is a pretty quick in and out as well.

As for pricing - it is not as expensive as it used to be (several years ago, I would book a direct from BWI to CLT and it was never under $500-$600). In general, as long as I'm booking 14+ days in advance, my round trip fares vary between about $200 - $400.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

I know that is true. It makes people feel as if they are an authority at something. I used to hear people constantly complain about Delta, Continental and on and on. In any case, it is quicker than driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte