Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times

Advertisements

I feel that all places mentioned have great attributes. The advantage with Charlotte is that it has Jet Blue and Air Tran that go to the cities you mentioned. Baxter Village is a nice, convenient place that has the luxury of being close in yet pay S.C. taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
I flew every month from NY to Clt for two years on Jet Blue until I looked at the schedule of USAir out of LGA and the superior schedule they offer.
At first I didn't like their on- board service but I got over it for an hour and 20 min. flt.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,467,313 times
It was explained to me once (possibly on this very forum) that because CLT is a USAir hub, many connecting flights go through here. If we hop onto a plane here in CLT, we're effectively canceling a potential seat from some other previous city that was connecting here and continuing on...kinda like we hoped the train halfway through the ride, but they had to save us a seat anyway.

This is supposed to explain why someone can connect through CLT and get a cheaper flight than us flying direct from CLT to the same destination (even on the same aircraft as the other person).

Doesn't make sense in my non-business mind...

Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM

830 posts, read 1,531,353 times
JetBlue does have nonstops to JFK, BOS and FLL. There aren't a ton of flights, but at least an option.

From RDU, you'll mostly be limited to hubs except on Southwest.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
It was explained to me once (possibly on this very forum) that because CLT is a USAir hub, many connecting flights go through here. If we hop onto a plane here in CLT, we're effectively canceling a potential seat from some other previous city that was connecting here and continuing on...kinda like we hoped the train halfway through the ride, but they had to save us a seat anyway.

This is supposed to explain why someone can connect through CLT and get a cheaper flight than us flying direct from CLT to the same destination (even on the same aircraft as the other person).

Doesn't make sense in my non-business mind...
+1

I was almost a weekly flyer when I lived in Raleigh (3 years after 5 yrs of college).
More connections, but at a lower cost.

CLT gives tons of direct flights, but the cost is considerably higher (esp over a year's time) - not an issue if your company's travel dept is picking up the tab anyway.

Personally I love CLT's direct CLT-MUC & CLT-CDG flights - if you are flying East you are one hop to nearly anywhere...

Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
As for pricing - it is not as expensive as it used to be (several years ago, I would book a direct from BWI to CLT and it was never under $500-$600). In general, as long as I'm booking 14+ days in advance, my round trip fares vary between about $200 - $400.
Yeah but they are doing the rope a dope on you. 2 years ago they didn't have all the fees for everything like they have now. As far as I know, Southwest is one of the few airlines that doesn't do this.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:18 AM

Some folks will argue that the many fees charged today by airlines are warranted and fair...that we were lulled into a false sense of affordable fairs for the past decade. I refuse to believe this, especially when I see SWA doing it and getting along just fine. I think it's a matter of greed, either currently or results from past greed, that have forced other airlines to charge what they do today. For that, they get none or very little of my business.

If SWA flew in/out of CLT, I'd fly them exclusively. Heck, I've even considered driving to RDU to catch a flight, but luckily AirTran offers cheap flights for us here...albeit limited destinations. But it's kept me from driving 2.5 hours to catch a flight.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:27 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Just a suggestion: I'm not in favor of spam or other email crap BUT I have found it very worthwhile to sign up for email alerts on specials with those airlines you favor.

I posted a $39 special CLT to NY last week but it got deleted b/c it was considered advertising. I did RT NY CLT NY a couple of weeks ago for 128 inc txs.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 AM

905 posts, read 3,455,646 times
Another consideration is the viability of US Airways. Recently they have been deferring aircraft orders and selling planes. I understand they are also near their minimum cash requirements as required by their lenders. If you are leaning towards Charlotte and can wait until Spring you might want to do that. If they can make it through the winter they might make it.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM

I doubt USAir is on any sort of death bed. IN danger of being shaken up, sure. But going away entirely, I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte