Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 AM

68 posts, read 163,567 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a auto shop were I can take my car to get fixed and get my oil change. I just want to go to someone who doesn't switch workers all the time. Someone thats knows their customers and if I haven't come in a while they will notice. Not call and see whats going on but just be curious. I stay in charlotte, close to Davidson st. area. I want a person that has a shop so I can have warranty on the work. Someone that's doing the job because they love it and charging for the work they do to make money and not take money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I have just the place for you. Locations GERRARD TIRE and AUTOMOTIVE Charlotte, NC (704) 334-9789 (http://www.gerrardtire.com/locations.htm - broken link). They are on 6th Street. I go there all the time and have never had a problem. I went in at 5:10 one time with a nail in my tire and they were able to fix it before they closed at 5:30.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM

117 posts, read 295,661 times
your title is an oxymoron unfortunately

Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,915 times
Amity Automotive on Monroe Rd. in the Oakhurst area. Family business, Tripp, the owner, is a great guy and very honest. Have been going there for 10 + years.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
Arowinds Goodyear on S. Tryon. It was recommended to me by a poster here, and I've found them to be honest. I've saved many dollars by having stuff taken care of there after getting outrageous estimates at Ford dealers.

One example: a ford dealer was going to charge me hundreds of dollars just to diagnose a "fuel leak" when their equipment indicated a large emissions leak. They told me to find the problem they had to drop the gas tank and blow smoke through the lines and blah blah blah -- hundreds of dollars PLUS whatever it would cost to fix it. I took the car to Arowinds and without even looking at the car they said that 99% of the time that reading on the equipment means a faulty gas tank cap. So for $12 they screwed a new one on and the problem was fixed.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,737 times
go to tuffy's in Harrisburg right off the 485 near the plaza blvd
theyre good took my vehicles there several times and always do a good job

Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
The place you are looking for wont be cheap cause they dont have to be. Best to find one of their customers who will refer you by name.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM

571 posts, read 715,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiveslude View Post
your title is an oxymoron unfortunately

Usually, that's the case, unfortunately, but not always. I found a little neighborhood shop in San Diego that's super honest. A couple times, I took my car in to repair a flat tire and they wouldn't even charge me to fix a flat! If I had a problem that turned out to be a simple fix, they wouldn't charge. They also aways told me exactly what they were doing, and would show me the diagnostics on the screen and explain what it was indicating. And they would give me a menu of repair options to choose from so I could decide which was the best for my particular circumstances. If I needed a new tire, they wouldn't try to push the most expensive ones on me. They had the best tire prices I had seen anywhere. I had been to plenty of other tire and repair shops before and NEVER found this degree of honesty.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,266 times
I had a fair amount of work done on my car ($1400 total for a variety of repairs and maintenance) but still had an oil leak. I took the car back and the guy said I needed a new oil pan, for another $350. I sighed and told him to go ahead. Next day when I went to pick up the car he said no charge because it was not the oil pan but some seals that he had changed for the previous work so he fixed it. How would I have known otherwise?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:48 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,086 times
I know it would be a bit of a drive for you, but I think I know what you're looking for!

I go to A&M Auto on Downs Circle in Pineville. Dutch is the owner, and he's a former airline pilot who got fed up with the ridiculousness in the airline industry and turned his love of machines into his own auto repair business. He is as honest as the day is long! He's not the cheapest shop in town, but he stands by all his work, and he won't recommend or do work he doesn't think you need. The guys on his team have been there a while, and they all have his work ethic. He's got a following of some of us women in town because it's hard for us to find someone that won't rip us off or talk to us like we're idiots because we're not a MAN. [eyeroll] I recommend him to absolutely everyone!

Here's a link to his website:
A&M AUTO SERVICE, LLC | HOME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte