Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,223 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Charlotte in a one month from the Midwest. My new job is located in the university area.

Since quality of life is important to us. The community where we currently live has a low crime rate and near to shopping areas.

Since my wife and I do not know any areas in Charlotte we are soliciting the expertise of the native Charlottites.

We are looking for a townhouse to rent in a safe area near the university area. However I was told the south Charlotte area is the better area to search although I want to live close to work.

Can you tell me what are the best areas in Charlotte to search?

Can anyone recommend a particularly apartment complex that is relatively modern, clean, quiet, and safe with good townhouse units ?

Would really appreciate any help. In a few weeks, we will be headed to Charlotte for a week to look at some places.

Anthony G

P.S. Where can I find Charlotte's 2008/2009 crime statistics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:45 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
Actually City Data has quite a bit of info. The locals are called Charlotteans.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Charlo...-Carolina.html

Old 01-01-2010, 05:06 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,211 times
Plenty of info on this board if you choose to do a little research. Or, you could just move to Hidden Valley.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Charlotte in a one month from the Midwest. My new job is located in the university area.

Since quality of life is important to us. The community where we currently live has a low crime rate and near to shopping areas.

Since my wife and I do not know any areas in Charlotte we are soliciting the expertise of the native Charlottites.

We are looking for a townhouse to rent in a safe area near the university area. However I was told the south Charlotte area is the better area to search although I want to live close to work.

Can you tell me what are the best areas in Charlotte to search?

Can anyone recommend a particularly apartment complex that is relatively modern, clean, quiet, and safe with good townhouse units ?

Would really appreciate any help. In a few weeks, we will be headed to Charlotte for a week to look at some places.

Anthony G

P.S. Where can I find Charlotte's 2008/2009 crime statistics?
If your job is in the University area you really want to try to live up that way. There are many nice neighborhoods to be found there too. You could also try going up to the little town of Concord - it's pretty safe and a good commute back to the University.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,619 times
live in concord, harrisburg or mint hill. UC is kinda dangeorus fter dark.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
There are many people who live in South Charlotte that work in University area. I live in Weddington and there are 10+ people in my neighborhood that work at TIAA-CREF. The I-485 loop is fairly new and doesn't not have alot of traffic, about a 30-35 minute commute.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,813 times
The University area has many safe neighborhoods. Here are few fairly nice, relatively new apartment complexes. There are many others as well.

Addison Park apartments www.addisonparkapts.com

The Bridges at Mallard Creek

The Apartments at Radobourne Lake
apartmentsatradbournelake-apts.com

There are also several neighborhoods with condos and single family homes. You might could rent/lease a condo instead of an apartment. You might check Craigslist.

Harrisburg is also an option. A little less crowded, quieter, but less to choose from in terms of apartment living.

Good Luck

Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM

518 posts, read 2,061,328 times
Mallard Creek area is a great area, I would say it is west of the Univ area, near the intersection of Mallard Creek Church Rd/Mallard Creek Rd/Prosperity Church Rd. We have lived here 11 years and love it. All the shopping and restaurants are close by. Concord Mills Mall is just minutes away. There are some great neighborhoods in this area, some are older which have larger lots and mature trees, and the newer ones. The Greenway is close by to walk or ride bikes.

Anyplace is dangerous after dark, you need to use good judgement and be aware of your surroundings. South Charlotte is the "richer" side of town. But the Mallard Creek area has Skybrook, Lexington, and Highland Creek, all with some great huge homes for the wealthy. Skybrook and Highland Creek have townhomes and you could live in Cabarrus County (cheaper taxes - if you ever look to purchase, keep that in mind also, if you live within the city limits, you'll have city and county taxes).

As for apartments, you need to stay away from UNCC, there are alot of apartments near campus, therefore you will find alot of college students and their sleep patters are way different (believe, I have one).

We have enjoyed living here, the weather is great~~~all seasons (shorter winters). Roads don't keep up with the growth, but that's common pretty much anywhere you go. You will find loads of information on this site, in addition look for crime stats (as you did), and drive around, get a good map (found in phone books) and drive around during the day, and rush hour (5-6pm). Good Luck and have fun with your search !!!

Also, remember wherever you decide, the area is growing and traffic will change, a commute will take you 15 minutes today, may take you 30 or more in just a few short years. We moved from Northern Virginia and decided to stay close to husband's work instead of living in Iredell County, we knew how bad traffic can be/get. Also, 485 will be complete in the Mallard Creek area. Living inside the beltway or right outside of it is great for the majority of homebuyers (resale).

Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,223 times
Thanks Charlotteans for your recommendations

Anthony

Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
There are many people who live in South Charlotte that work in University area. I live in Weddington and there are 10+ people in my neighborhood that work at TIAA-CREF. The I-485 loop is fairly new and doesn't not have alot of traffic, about a 30-35 minute commute.
YET. Give it time, lol.

I still say, if everyone tried to live near their jobs this city would be a lot better off. There is just no reason to tell someone who will be working in the University area NOT to live in the University area, there are many nice places to live up that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte