Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM

110 posts, read 310,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Sure. Verizon for cells, Dish Network for tv, TWC for internet, and CPI for alarm. We pay $35/mo for internet. It's the Roadrunner basic and I have never noticed a difference from the $50/mo regular Roadrunner we used to have. We did have to pay for a cell back up thing from CPI when we initially installed the alarm, but it has since paid for itself by us not having a landline.
Thank you so much! We will explore that option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 04:10 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
Smart of you to consider the alarm system (They all have cellphone service that costs extra). I think there was a thread here a while back from someone who canceled their landline and didn't realize they also disconnected their alarm service until they had a minor fire.... 5 years later!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 AM

231 posts, read 576,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Sure. Verizon for cells, Dish Network for tv, TWC for internet, and CPI for alarm. We pay $35/mo for internet. It's the Roadrunner basic and I have never noticed a difference from the $50/mo regular Roadrunner we used to have. We did have to pay for a cell back up thing from CPI when we initially installed the alarm, but it has since paid for itself by us not having a landline.

I even dropped down to the Road Runner Lite which is only 24.95/mo although it's going up to 27.95 after this rate hike. Granted it does take longer to download videos, it's not really a noticeable difference if just using the internet to check email, browse websites, etc.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
I just bought Magic Jack yesterday to try out for the 30 days. So far, so good. We have Road Runner for internet. From all my research online, Magic is either a home run or a flop. Depends on your specific network that you're tied into. Some Road Runner users say it doesn't work, others say it's fine. I don't think it's a bad product. I think it's limited by the infrastructure serving the end-user. It's by far the cheapest phone service out there, if it works on your internet service.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
.....It's by far the cheapest phone service out there, if it works on your internet service.
BYOD VoIP is as cheap as Magicjack depending upon usage and infinitely more flexible and doesn't require a running PC. The down side is you have to learn how to set it up.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,929 times
windstream needs a phone line to run, but you can get one for only $5 a month... just a line, no local or longdistance included, but you can receive incoming for free and call 911 when needed. That is what we have as we have use our home business lines or cell phones for outgoing calls.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,739 times
Yes. Having internet in this time is as easy as one-two-three. You can have internet connection even if you don't have a telephone. I do have wireless broadband. :-)

Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
To follow up with my Magic Jack adventures...

I've canceled Time Warner phone (dropping my monthly TWC bill by $50) and stuck with Magic Jack. I had one small issue at first where I was not able to dial my number from my work (I work in Uptown). It would go straight to a busy tone. Magic Jack had no clue what the deal was either. So I simply switched my home phone number to a different one...problem solved.

As far as clarity and reliability, it's been no different than a "normal" phone service--in other words, pretty good. One other thing I've noticed about it is that no name is displayed with the caller ID...just the phone number. No big deal, but still a difference from TWC phone. Also, dialing 311 within no longer calls the CharMeck service line. I guess they don't recognize my number as truly being within the county limits. Again, no big deal as I can just call from my cell phone. Or, I could have looked up the full phone number to the 311 call center and dialed direct.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
Curious how much do alarm companies usually charge for cell back up?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:09 PM

146 posts, read 474,298 times
This is one of those pay me now or pay me later questions. We have 6Gbyte dsl with att and have absolutely no problems. HughesNet is a satellite provider for internet but you better bring your credit card. Not cheap. The cable companies are just not as responsive to service calls and cost just as much as dsl. I like the idea of the dsl only phone line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte