Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 AM

26 posts, read 78,642 times

Advertisements

I have Cricket Wireless broadband. The download speeds are fairly slow compared to cable to most DSL providers (less than 1 Mb per second if that means anything to you) but it has only had 1 service interuption in the 8 months I've had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 AM

110 posts, read 310,719 times
Thanks for the information. We will continue to explore options, call phone company, alarm company, etc... and figure out what will work best for us. By the way, I did call verizon last night, and the solution they had for us was called mi fi..? Here's the link. It doesn't look like something we'd be interested in..

I also checked out Clear internet. Looks good, but they are not in our area yet. Seems their coverage is only up & along the 77 corrider to LKN area.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else who may be seeking similar solutions.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusochic View Post
We want to drop the monthly expense of a phone line and just use our cell phones. BUT we still want internet service. Also, we have an alarm system through the phone line, so not sure what we'd do with that.. Is it even possible to do this successfully? We currently use Windstream for our phone/DSL internet, and Dish network for our cable.
Need to ask first. What is the cost per month you are trying to save ? next yes there is a way. I am a full time RV'ier I have a D-LINK 450 wireless router , with a SPRINT Broadband card#979(very fast down speed) I run 2 computers plus my wife uses a "Sorenson" Video phone (she is a deaf person) she talks for hours even while I'am on the computer, not a problem in the 3 years we have had it. Cost for the air card service is $59.00 per month but we have it all the time weather we are in a RV campground or stopped along side the road. On the road we power it with a 3000 wt inverter. It is a 110v unit. Router will handle 4 units.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Fighter,

GREAT question!.. First of all, we are currently spending $59.99 per month for BOTH phone & DSL internet and that is the final bill, after taxes, fees, etc.. In the 2 years we've had the service, NEVER had a problem with either service from Windstream. Initially I thought we'd cut the bill in half, but am seeing that is not the case.. Verizon's option was the same price- $60, and the Clear offer is $30 per month, but it's only for the first 6 months, then it goes up to $45/mth, or you have to sign a 2 year contract I think.. And that's just for INTERNET.

The more my husband and I think about it, we might be realizing that it's worth keeping our service as is, and we have a good value at $60 per month. We don't have to figure out the alarm system, and as many say, it's always nice to have a land line, just in case.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "be thankful they are not the land line provider here.", lumbollo. I would still like to have FiOS available to me here. Not sure what the details/specs are for U-verse. Does ATT offer that in CLT?
U-Verse is internet through a fiber optic connection, just like FiOS. It is available in the Charlotte area, but you have to go to AT&T's website and plug in your address to see if you can have it at your particular location.

As for the OP, being that you only spend $60 for both landline and interent, I'd keep what I have. You need a landline for the alarm system, and as you found out, if you go to internet alone, the cost is going to jump up. You're getting a good value now, plus it's always good to have the reliability of landline in the case of emergencies, your cell phone gets lost, etc.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM

15 posts, read 35,285 times
it is possible to have an alarm with wireless phone service.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,055 times
I don't know specifically about TWC and AT&T but here in York County with Comporium you can have your alarm go through your cable. If I remember correctly it was a little more to install but the monthly cost was comprable.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
We have cell phones only, satellite tv, cable internet, and cell service for our alarm. We don't even have a completed phone wire in our house, it just hangs off the side of the house outside. You don't need a land line at all for any of these services. It's just a waste of money.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
We have cell phones only, satellite tv, cable internet, and cell service for our alarm. We don't even have a completed phone wire in our house, it just hangs off the side of the house outside. You don't need a land line at all for any of these services. It's just a waste of money.
Hi, thanks. Would you reveal who your service providers are, and what you pay for the internet alone?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Sure. Verizon for cells, Dish Network for tv, TWC for internet, and CPI for alarm. We pay $35/mo for internet. It's the Roadrunner basic and I have never noticed a difference from the $50/mo regular Roadrunner we used to have. We did have to pay for a cell back up thing from CPI when we initially installed the alarm, but it has since paid for itself by us not having a landline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte