Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
They're both from Denver. Did I win?

There's always a lot of strife when there's a large amount of migration from one area to another. Tens of millions of Southerners poured into Michigan and other Great Lakes States 50 - 60 years ago because there were no jobs in the South, and more work than people to do it in the North. Right now is Charlotte and Atlanta's turn. Don't complain, you'll be missing all those "fohners" when they start leaving for other greener pastures (and/or you run out of water), and your cities and suburbs start emptying out.
Agreed Now we southerners can understand better what the Native Americans must have felt like when white Europeans began "invading" their space! This is certainly nothing new.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Car accidents:

Scenario 1:

In most of the scenarios that you give, the party was right to ask for the police. In NC you have to have a police report for any accident where there is more than just a few $'s damage. I don't remember the amount, but it is not much. You are breaking the law if you don't do this. Because of the money involved, really the worst thing you can do is to drive off without calling them.

If I had an accident with you regardless of fault I would certainly call the police to come and write it up. I am a Southerner but this shouldn't be considered a negative because this is what you are supposed to do.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM

810 posts, read 2,293,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
They're both from Denver. Did I win?

There's always a lot of strife when there's a large amount of migration from one area to another. Tens of millions of Southerners poured into Michigan and other Great Lakes States 50 - 60 years ago because there were no jobs in the South, and more work than people to do it in the North. Right now is Charlotte and Atlanta's turn. Don't complain, you'll be missing all those "fohners" when they start leaving for other greener pastures (and/or you run out of water), and your cities and suburbs start emptying out.
Well written. I suppose people should be careful what they wish for, Charlotte could then be renamed Flint, Michigan when everyone leaves.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Well written. I suppose people should be careful what they wish for, Charlotte could then be renamed Flint, Michigan when everyone leaves.
As long as it is not renamed Detroit!!

Thanks to everyone in the South who doesn't think Northerners are a bunch of rude, obnoxious louts. To those who do, well bless your hearts!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,906,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed Now we southerners can understand better what the Native Americans must have felt like when white Europeans began "invading" their space! This is certainly nothing new.
WHAT? I find this comparison very odd. Northerners are fellow Americans with y'all. It's not like their boats just came ashore from a foreign land. Geesh.

I've come to the conclusion that Southerners who don't like Northerners are insecure. I kinda feel sorry for you. Not a nice way to feel or live your life.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
In most of the scenarios that you give, the party was right to ask for the police. In NC you have to have a police report for any accident where there is more than just a few $'s damage. I don't remember the amount, but it is not much. You are breaking the law if you don't do this. Because of the money involved, really the worst thing you can do is to drive off without calling them.

If I had an accident with you regardless of fault I would certainly call the police to come and write it up. I am a Southerner but this shouldn't be considered a negative because this is what you are supposed to do.
Whether or not the police were called doesn't excuse the rest of it. Are you suggesting I was saying that calling the police was the problem? Read again and grasp the true context of the post.

And by the way, all but two of these accidents were VERY minor. The one where my buddy's truck was mashed, and the 3 car accident. And in both the police were called. And in neither was calling the police the issue...

Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
WHAT? I find this comparison very odd. Northerners are fellow Americans with y'all. It's not like their boats just came ashore from a foreign land. Geesh.

I've come to the conclusion that Southerners who don't like Northerners are insecure. I kinda feel sorry for you. Not a nice way to feel or live your life.
Some of ya'll are just LOOKING for excuses to argue My comment was meant as a conciliatory statement.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM

70 posts, read 236,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaunders View Post
Evening guys and gals!

I'm quite frustrated today. Getting a little sick of all these "Northerner" talk trash about the way I talk. Also, the lack of respect. Gotta vent so here it goes.

1) Lady pulls up and wants work done to her car but NO she's too damn busy on the cell phone to acknowledge me.

2) She rolls up the windows while im out in the cold "waiting" on her.

3) She holds up the finger to make me "wait" while I have about 7 other cars ahead of her.

4) She complained about the price.

5) She asked to speak with someone else because she didn't understand what im saying.

6) New york tags front and back.

Now is this how they are all gonna act? If so they can keep moving south because im not gonna take it anymore.

/vent
Hello OP,

As a born and bred "Northener", I do NOT interact with anyone like the woman you've described. Here's what I would've done differently:

1. If I'm in a place of business and it's my turn, I would've ended my phone call as soon as I noticed that I'm next in line.

2. I would've considered you being cold by cracking my window and not roll it up like I'm a Diva in a limo, I would've also considered your time and not have you wait on me.

3. The same reaction as 2 where again, I've would considered you're time and those cars that may be behind me.

4. If I think you're shop's price is high, I would make a quiet mental note of it. It's not like you're the price genie and can change it.

5. If I had a difficulty understanding you, I would've politely asked you to speak a little slower, I would've done the same too (speak slower) instead of abruptly requesting someone else to assist me.

6. The New York plates I cannot change those.

Not all "Northeners" conduct themselves like the woman you've described. People should be polite and courteous to others. I strongly in treating others the way I treat them. I'm sorry you've had this bad experience.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolone6722 View Post
Hello OP,

As a born and bred "Northener", I do NOT interact with anyone like the woman you've described. Here's what I would've done differently:

1. If I'm in a place of business and it's my turn, I would've ended my phone call as soon as I noticed that I'm next in line.

2. I would've considered you being cold by cracking my window and not roll it up like I'm a Diva in a limo, I would've also considered your time and not have you wait on me.

3. The same reaction as 2 where again, I've would considered you're time and those cars that may be behind me.

4. If I think you're shop's price is high, I would make a quiet mental note of it. It's not like you're the price genie and can change it.

5. If I had a difficulty understanding you, I would've politely asked you to speak a little slower, I would've done the same too (speak slower) instead of abruptly requesting someone else to assist me.

6. The New York plates I cannot change those.

Not all "Northeners" conduct themselves like the woman you've described. People should be polite and courteous to others. I strongly in treating others the way I treat them. I'm sorry you've had this bad experience.
Sadly, "one bad apple"...

I think he just needed to vent the day he posted this thread. I bet by now he's over it and hasn't allowed the experience to color his whole view on those from the northeast, he's a very reasonable guy

Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You misunderstood my post. I did not say that Northerners were being disrespectful to Southerners only. I said that what is normal behavior to most Northern cultured people is considered rude to those of us who were brought up in the South. And yes, I think that normal Northern behavior is more rude and normal Southern cultured behavior is more mannerly. It is a cultural difference. Just my opinion. And yes, I have had people look at me like, "why are you speaking to me." "Because my mother taught me to be friendly" is the answer. I guess we just had fewer people where I come from and anyone who would not speak to you was thought to be "stuck up."

I know that there are many very good hearted people from the North. I really feel for them trying to fit in. It did not take long for me to realize our cultures are totally opposite.
I was brought up in Michigan before moving to the Philadelphia metro area. I was brought up in the Midwestern way by my Midwestern parents to be quiet (There was to be no "outside" voice, even outside. That was disrespectful to the neighbors.), respectful, friendly to others (talking to people in stores & on the street), and to avoid conflict at all costs. Also, I was brought up that no one was better than I was, but also that I was no better than anyone else.

Most people in Philadelphia & South Jersey are very much the same, as the tone in the area is still set by the Quakers.

I have not met very many natives here who do not seem to have been brought up the exact same way that I was, and feel very comfortable here.

I have always been of the opinion that your posts were very helpful, and you seemed to be very welcoming. Your posts in this thread were most distressing. Yours were not the only ones, but your insistance that there are 2 different cultures just really bothered me. Please understand that there is not one "culture" in the north. You are offended by people with certain mannerisms which are considered offensive by many people in the north. I find those mannerisms offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte