Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM

73,141 posts, read 62,811,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Everyone knows that "bless your heart" means "go *********rself." You ain't fooling anybody.

Charlotte could easily become like Flint. Flint was riding the upward tide of one very large global corporation, General Motors. Problem with tying yourself to one big work-horse is when that work-horse gets old and tired and doesn't want to work anymore, or can get the work done a lot cheaper and dirtier somewhere else, it will leave. When it leaves, the dominos start to fall.
Not always. I remember my visit to a major hospital. It was in Rome,Georgia(between Atlanta,GA and Chattanooga,TN). I broke my spine and after my surgery I was having other problems regarding pain. The nurses noticed I was in pain I remember one saying to me "bless your heart". I could tell it was from a kind place, kind of like her way of empathizing with me. It depends on the situation and how someone uses it.

I do agree about Flint. Depending on one big industry isn't a good thing. A diverse economy is a good economy.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
I agree, it is friendly and southerners are know for that. Can be a good quality.

I don't think that makes a Southerner > than a Northerner.

I'm not going to start listing the pro's and con's of one vs the other. But I will say I've lived down here long enough to see many faults...
The key is to try to understand the differences instead of being offended by them.

Both groups have a lot of redeeming qualities, AND their own share of faults!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not always. I remember my visit to a major hospital. It was in Rome,Georgia(between Atlanta,GA and Chattanooga,TN). I broke my spine and after my surgery I was having other problems regarding pain. The nurses noticed I was in pain I remember one saying to me "bless your heart". I could tell it was from a kind place, kind of like her way of empathizing with me. It depends on the situation and how someone uses it.
Glad you said this, as I wanted to acknowledge it too.

"Bless your heart" is more often a persons attempt to show compassion and sympathy to someone, though it is sometimes used as a polite way of telling someone "to kiss my grits".

Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,183,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It did seem to me this was part of your point. i.e. you were more noble by taking the high road over the unruly vindictive southerner who was harping to call the police for nothing.

In regards to the context, I do get what you were trying to put forth. That much is perfectly obvious and it doesn't require that much thought to comprehend. I personally don't believe in this concept that people are rude or not based on where they were born or raised and there is no one post from me in this long topic that would say that. It is a function of how they were raised. My point for bringing it up, since you did make calling the police an issue in your post, even though you now say that was inconsequential, was to simply put a motivation or possible alternative reason for it.

Finally concerning behavior at accidents, this isn't a time to expect rational behavior. People get upset during automobile accidents no matter how minor and I find it's better to simply to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than cast them in some sort of role. The very first accident I got into as a young 16 year old drive occurred when I was backing up, didn't look behind me, and dented a bumper of a parked car. The middle aged woman who was walking back to her car saw it, and burst into uncontrollable tears and she wasn't even in the car when it happened. Her crying mortified me more than the accident which amounted to about $75 damage, but it is a lesson to put these things into perspective.
Well,the lady I ran into was well within her rights to want the police called. But there wasn't any damage or injury.. So, why call?

My point was that she continued to interrupt me when I was trying to talk and she wouldn't even make eye contact. And my initial greating was "are you alright"... Then to turn out she was only after money anyways... Thats the whole point really... I did make a mistake by running into her. But it was just a bump, no damage or injury. She was going to take advantage of that for some easy money.. Ridiculous... Why do you think Insurance premiums are so high? Because of people like her. If she would have had the police come, I bet she would have also been wearing a neck brace for 6 weeks following and lawyer-ed up looking for a settlement.

Tactless, greedy, and rude...

Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The key is to try to understand the differences instead of being offended by them.

Hope everyone is reading this one..

Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,887,149 times
Quote:

I agree. And please don't be offended if I'm not interested in talking about politics with you just because we're in the same grocery aisle. It's nothing personal.

But I'll certainly hold the door for you and return a smile if you say hello.

As far as the earlier "bless your heart," I was mainly referring to the context of that particular post.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I agree. And please don't be offended if I'm not interested in talking about politics with you just because we're in the same grocery aisle. It's nothing personal.

But I'll certainly hold the door for you and return a smile if you say hello.

As far as the earlier "bless your heart," I was mainly referring to the context of that particular post.
Gotcha

Old 01-09-2010, 04:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,225,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Well,the lady I ran into was well within her rights to want the police called. But there wasn't any damage or injury.. So, why call?....
Because in these days and times and the complicated society we live in, not calling the police is just plain stupid. A collision between two several thousand pound vehicles is never minor. You have no idea if the party you hit won't come back the next day and make all kinds of false claims for damages. A filed police report completely removes this possibility of this succeeding. This isn't a North/South thing. It unfortunately is a fact of American life now.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Glad you said this, as I wanted to acknowledge it too.

"Bless your heart" is more often a persons attempt to show compassion and sympathy to someone, though it is sometimes used as a polite way of telling someone "to kiss my grits".
Sorry, but just as often as it's used to show compassion "Bless your heart" and "aren't you precious" are used sarcastically in a patronizing manner.

You know this, please admit it...

Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Because in these days and times and the complicated society we live in, not calling the police is just plain stupid. A collision between two several thousand pound vehicles is never minor. You have no idea if the party you hit won't come back the next day and make all kinds of false claims for damages. A filed police report completely removes this possibility of this succeeding. This isn't a North/South thing. It unfortunately is a fact of American life now.
Sorry friend, it was obvious she was purely out for a free payday. You weren't there so you'll play devils advocat for your fellow native. But it's true, and still ridiculous.

Live and let live. To much jockeying for position and leverage. Just because you can, doesn't make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte