Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM

16 posts, read 19,655 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Charlotte. We currently live on Long Island. We visited a few years ago and really liked the South Park area but that was all we saw. We do plan on raising a family there so schools would be a big seller for us. Keep in mind, my husband would most likely be working in or near South Park so we don't want to move too far from that area. Tell me about where you live or other nice areas in Charlotte! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating to Charlotte. We currently live on Long Island. We visited a few years ago and really liked the South Park area but that was all we saw. We do plan on raising a family there so schools would be a big seller for us. Keep in mind, my husband would most likely be working in or near South Park so we don't want to move too far from that area. Tell me about where you live or other nice areas in Charlotte! Thanks
South Park is a very desirable area to live in and schools are generally good.

You will only be limited by your ability to get a job and your budget

So how much do you plan to spend?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 AM

368 posts, read 946,236 times
Morrocroft estates, pellyn woods, glen eagles, foxcroft.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 AM

16 posts, read 19,655 times
we're hoping to spend $350k, it can be a little more but we really don't want to go more than $400k. This all depends on a job that DH applied to in charlotte. He worked out the budget and if he gets this job we'll be able to afford a house in that price range. Hopefully I won't have a difficult time finding a job either but for the time being we can live on DH's salary. Are there schools in south park that are more desirable than others?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,147 times
There are beautiful homes in Waxhaw for that price range and the schools are excellent. You might want to try to get in the Marvin Ridge school system. schools are new and tops. there are several subdivisions to look into but Hunter Oaks and The Reserve are nice.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM

32 posts, read 79,622 times
I highly recommend South Charlotte area (Waxhaw, Marvin ) in Union County. The schools are A+, Marvin Ridge ( elem, middle and high). We have been down here for about 5 mos and absolutely love it, my kids are in the middle school and we are VERY pleased as they are also with the facilty/facility/academics. We are about a 20 min ride to the South Park Mall, which I think may decrease a few here or there as they are doing major work on the road that takes you in. Its not a bad drive. We are only 5-10 mins from Blakney, Stonecrest and Ballantyne shopping areas. Check out the area on the internet.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
We also relocated from Long Island (in 1998) and I agree with previous posters -- in that price range I would focus on South Charlotte or perhaps western Union County. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in real estate prices and property taxes between Long Island and the Charlotte area.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
we're hoping to spend $350k, it can be a little more but we really don't want to go more than $400k. This all depends on a job that DH applied to in charlotte. He worked out the budget and if he gets this job we'll be able to afford a house in that price range. Hopefully I won't have a difficult time finding a job either but for the time being we can live on DH's salary. Are there schools in south park that are more desirable than others?
Please do let us know if he gets it - it's always good news to hear someone got a job

Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
There are some areas near Southpark at your budget - Olde Providence (Rea/Colony Road intersection) for one. Mountainbrook is nice but their houses are around 400K

Old 01-12-2010, 02:36 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,437 times
For $350K, she could buy two houses in Olde Providence! Just south of Olde Providence is Chadwick which is lovely with great schools. How about Montibello or some of the neighborhoods along Colony? But there are very nice neighborhood even closer to South park. Beverly Woods comes to mind. Excellent schools there! But why would you want to direct her all the way down the Waxhaw? She can afford to stay near SP with leaving the county and dealing with a long commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: