Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am glad you have found the magic solution. I am into alternative/complementary medicine, have not been to the doctor in years. Use herbs/naturopathy, etc as my first line of defense. Yoga, chiropractic, Reiki, acupressure, aromatherapy, etc. etc. But when I get infectious pneumonia, I still have to have an antibiotic. The facts are, some things DO take intervention.

Disease like ALS are progressive and I have seen folks waste every dollar desperately searching for some other way to treat the illness only to end up where they were gonna end up anyway.

I think it is great you have found whatever you needed in your life - but it is pretty arrogant of you to judge that what has worked for you works for everyone else.
Well, I cannot comment on the infectious pneumonia because I have never had it. Seems to me that someone with a solid immune system wouldn't have to worry about it. But I digress.

ALS is generally accepted as one of those horrible, incurable diseases that "get you". I will be honest with you and say that I have not read, nor heard of a treatment for it, or one that will cure it in the natural realm. However, judging from the information that was given to all of us here on this forum, the only assumption I can make is that the OP has not tried anything other than conventional allopathic medical treatments. If I am wrong and I missed something to the contrary I will gladly apologize.

As for your statement about people desperately searching for some *other* way to treat the illness and ending up the same anyway. When this occurs it is usually because natural treatments are the "last resort" that most people chose. The fact of the matter is that at that point, as in the case of cancer, conventional treatments have destroyed any chance of the body healing itself so when the person DOES finally try a holistic approach it is too late, the damage cannot be undone.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are precious few illnesses that cannot be successfully treated and cured. Even diseases like Hepatitis C, Cancer, Lupus, MS, and quite nearly everything else can be treated and in the overwhelming majority of cases reversed with proper nutrition and simple, natural treatments. WE HAVE TO LEARN TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN HEALTH and not turn to strangers and give them the power over life and death for us.

Until people learn this simple fact, there will be more heart-wrenching stories like the OP's. None of this has to happen. But you can't tell people.

THEY REFUSE TO LISTEN.

20yrsinBranson
There is no cure for what she has. And it had nothing to do with anything she did or failed to do. She never asked for this to happen to her.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
a family friend of mine has several different types of Parkinsons and it was controlled for a while using a micro-chip in her brain but it has to be moved every few years

Old 01-11-2010, 09:15 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
There is no cure for what she has. And it had nothing to do with anything she did or failed to do. She never asked for this to happen to her.
I would like to correct with "there is no cure that has been discovered yet" for what she has. Let's not be pessimistic here.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
As for your statement about people desperately searching for some *other* way to treat the illness and ending up the same anyway. When this occurs it is usually because natural treatments are the "last resort" that most people chose. The fact of the matter is that at that point, as in the case of cancer, conventional treatments have destroyed any chance of the body healing itself so when the person DOES finally try a holistic approach it is too late, the damage cannot be undone.
Well, I do have to agree here.

However, we still didn't hear from the OP on what him and his wife already tried. Although, of course on the general, majority of people will turn to mainstream medicine first and only THEN try the alternative approach.
In either case, in this specific situation, if it's a neurological disease, the chances are, it would be expensive with alternative treatment as well, don't you think?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I would like to correct with "there is no cure that has been discovered yet" for what she has. Let's not be pessimistic here.
I know what she has but it is not my place to say it here. And for at least the foreseeable future, it is not promising that a cure will be found. That's not pessimistic, it's a very sad fact.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
WoW, people can desert loved ones when the going gets too tough.

I am floored
He's not desserting her my friend - he just has to go thru these motions to get her the nusing home care she needs. Believe me, he's gone thru more than you or I know to take care of her and has gone broke doing it too. Once she is financially destitute government will step in to provide what he is no longer able to afford for her. It's a screwy world we live in when this is what you have to resort to

Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, this thread was moved from the Charlotte forum, where we all know Superk and the terrible situation he and his wife have been in, due to her illness.

If you knew the background, and how he has sacrificed everything to make sure his wife was in a good nursing home, and how he has been by her side as much as possible, while still trying to work - how he has lost all his belongings, etc. etc. - you would not be saying this.

He has agonized about what to do for literally years. He has written every state and federal official he could think of (but no one could help him), tried to get help from every agency, has done everything he can, but b/c he and his wife are young, there is no "safety net" to help him provide 24 hour care for his wife.
Ani, I think it was a mistake for this thread to be moved from the Charlotte forum - we know SuperK there and have followed his struggle for a very long time. We know he's a dedicated husband and is not "abandoning" his wife.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I know what she has but it is not my place to say it here. And for at least the foreseeable future, it is not promising that a cure will be found. That's not pessimistic, it's a very sad fact.
And if I remember correctly, Superk has alluded that it is passed genetically.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
And if I remember correctly, Superk has alluded that it is passed genetically.
Right Ani, it is a genetic disease. And it seems we are back on the Charlotte forum........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte