Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times

Advertisements

Time Warner Cable will build a data center in Charlotte that will create about 225 jobs. The jobs will have an average salary of $61,044. The New York-based company employs about 3,000 in Charlotte and 6,400 across the state. It could receive up to $2.9 million in state incentives if its meets and maintains hiring and other goals.

read more Time Warner Cable to add 225 jobs in NC expansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,850 times
The great thing about this is that they'll be construction jobs created as well.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The great thing about this is that they'll be construction jobs created as well.
This is very true. Never underestimate the value of construction jobs.

I wonder if it will be built by Holder. Holder built the data center for Apple in Maiden & is currently building the data center that Disney bought in Kings Mountain.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM

149 posts, read 328,232 times
I'd like to know how long it would take to build the data center?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
The only ones that can accurately answer that would be TWC and/or the company hired to build it.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Depends on the configuration.

I have to wonder if this is a true data center where information is processed or a call center? Sometimes the terms are used interchangeably.

The one I worked in (a real data center) took about a year to build. The specs are different than a commercial building with the amount of wiring, type of power (typically a main power source and redundant, plus a huge room to hold the battery backups) raised floor and environmental mechanics.

If you are asking about the time frame in relation to jobs being available, I'd think about getting a resume in soon. A lot of IT folks lost their jobs to ourtsourcing - especially the Piedmont region banks - and there will probably be a large pool of applicants to choose from.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
There's definitely a trend here.

If I was building a datacenter I would want cheap land, cheap power, and low natural disaster possibilities. Available labor pool and tax incentives would certainly be on the list somewhere.

Seems the Charlotte metro is ticking these boxes.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If it will be a true data center, the best way to tell will be by tracking the data centers in Kings Mountain, to see how long they are taking. There's plenty out there on them, but I'm not posting it because most people here don't give a rat's patoot about them. The couple of people who are interested are tracking them on their own.

Again, I agreed that if this will be a true data center, it will depend on specs. The ones in Kings Mountain will be LEED.

Basically, I'm agreeing with the other posters who addressed your question but adding a source to check.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
There's definitely a trend here.

If I was building a datacenter I would want cheap land, cheap power, and low natural disaster possibilities. Available labor pool and tax incentives would certainly be on the list somewhere.

Seems the Charlotte metro is ticking these boxes.
Oddly enough, if it's a true data center, the other thing that they want is vast amounts of available, cheap, water.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Oddly enough, if it's a true data center, the other thing that they want is vast amounts of available, cheap, water.
I've been involved in managing aspects of several datacenter demise and relocations over the years... The water can't be involved in day to day as water and datacenters are your classic nono - even if there were a fire, you don't extinguish it with water.

So are you referring to water for building it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte