Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,314 times

Advertisements

We are moving from CT. I would like to purchase a lake front 2500 sq.ft. with a boat slip. I need a good school system due to my son's last year of high school. I am a special education teacher who wouldalso be searching for a teaching position. My husband is an engineer who is going to be looking for aerospace positions. Lake Norman?
I love the beach and want to be close by while living on a lake.

Would love anyone's feedback.
Sincerely, Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 12:06 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Whats your budget for a house? Are you saying you're going to move without securing employment first? FYI, The "beach" is about 4 hours from Charlotte.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,499,190 times
Michelle - You sound deteremined to move here. Please be aware that homes with a boatslip are going to be very pricey! I hope you are bringing a "boatload of cash" to sustain yourselves for a couple of years. Please be aware that the salaries that you make in Connecticut are not likely to be duplicated here, especially your teaching job. You may find that a similar teaching job here, pays less than half of what you make now, and your health benefits are not likely to be as good and cost you alot more as well. Assuming your husband can find a job related to what he's doing now, you might want to rent for a year and base your rental area on the quality of the local high school.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:05 PM

604 posts, read 654,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Michelle - You sound deteremined to move here. Please be aware that homes with a boatslip are going to be very pricey! I hope you are bringing a "boatload of cash" to sustain yourselves for a couple of years. Please be aware that the salaries that you make in Connecticut are not likely to be duplicated here, especially your teaching job. You may find that a similar teaching job here, pays less than half of what you make now, and your health benefits are not likely to be as good and cost you alot more as well. Assuming your husband can find a job related to what he's doing now, you might want to rent for a year and base your rental area on the quality of the local high school.
great advice.

Rent in a good HS area for one year and you have time to find jobs and home location.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:01 PM

96 posts, read 219,665 times
If you already have jobs in CT I'd hold tight one more year. I can't imagine moving my child before his senior year unless I was unhappy with his school, especially when the move wasn't being forced by a job. Wait one more year and then go! I know that wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I was puzzled when you said you both would have to look for jobs.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,331 times
If you want to be on the lake you're going to be looking at Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Mooresville. Denver is the west side of the lake. Most of the schools these areas have good reputations, but check out greatschools.org for ratings. There are also a lot of charter school options, but those are based off of a lottery system. You may want to look at them as employment options. Lake Norman Charter and Community School of Davidson come to mind! As far as a lakefront home, if you have a dock you won't need a separate slip, but some homes on the lake are not allowed to have docks so they often have community boat slips.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,115 times
Why would you not stay where you are until after your son graduates?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,726,151 times
500k+

Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 AM

501 posts, read 529,958 times
Looks like you are getting more personal opinions about your move than you bargained for. My kids were military brats for years and moved every two years including senior years. They adjust and make new friends. I am saying this from experience. As far as the job market, it is very good, especially for professionals. I assume that your husband has an idea of how the market is for him in respect to his past. In regards to teaching, there are many jobs available and as a former certified special ed teacher, I know there are plenty in that field, however, check out the schools and areas first. You may wish to contact CMS job opportunities to check openings, etc. As far as expense. I know the costs of living in New England. You may not make as much depending on where you live in Connecticut, but the difference will be in the bang for the buck. Houses are significant less expensive here as are utilities, taxes, etc. So, if you do make less, it certainly won't mean giving up a standard of living. You are professional people so I will not make suggestions on issues that I feel you would have considered. There are places on the lake in Davidson and Cornelius as well as Denver. All are in good school districts for which you may wish to consider. They are pricy to our standards, but likely lots cheaper that what you would pay for something comparable in Connecticut. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:29 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,496,713 times
Have you looked online at housing prices on the lake? There are lake communities, where you wouldn't necessarily have lake-front property, but you could have a boat slip and access, and live nearby.

But you really need to look online and see what you can find. That will give you a better picture of prices and availability.

We are facing a possible move this summer, which will effect my son's Sr. year. We are trying our hardest to stay one more year though, but DH's job is having some changes, which we won't fully know until this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte